PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Newbie Questions

tfree
08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong forum section, but this looked like the best place to ask. I started working out two months ago with Starting Strength with the goal of gaining as much strength as I could in the shortest amount of time while still losing some body fat. When I started, I weighed 178 lbs (I'm 5' 11), was wearing a size 36, and was pretty much sedentary. I began running on off days, and I started with main lifts at:

Squats- 135
Bench- 125
Deadlift- 135

At the end of the two month period, I've dropped 3 inches off my waist, still weigh 178 lbs, can fit back into my old 32/33 pants, and I've made progress on my main lifts to 215, 165, and 225 respectively while running 3-4 miles on offdays. I thought I was doing everything right until I hit a plateau on Deadlifts and Squats, and I can't hit that 225 lb mark on squats I've been looking forward to.

I guess I'm at a crossroads, and I need some opinions. I've been eating what was supposedly my maintenance at 2400 calories a day with a relatively clean bulk, and since I was a bit overweight, I figured that this would be enough to take advantage of my newbie gains. Since I stalled this early on, I don't think that's true.

My question is, should I keep doing what I'm doing, should I cut down to 1900-2000 calories to get down to a better % BF then concentrate on gaining muscle, or should I start on a bulk to take advantage of what is left of my newbie gains for the next few months then start on a cut to get down to a much lower %BF?

typh
08-02-2010, 11:45 AM
If you want to lift big, eat big. I'd slow down or cut out running and allow your body to recoop. It comes down to what do you want. Are you cutting or are you bulking? If you want that 225 squat stop running, recoop yourself, eat more cals and gain that muscle. If you want to lose BF% do maintenance lifting, and more cardio. I wouldn't drop your cals below 2200. Also, check your food intake. Make sure you're getting the proper protein/carb/fat intake and you're eating healthy.

My opinion, I really have no idea what i'm talking about ;)

namesarehard
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm the same weight and height as you and my supposed maintenance is 2800 cals.