PDA

View Full Version : What were history's good and bad calls in hindsight?

OdeToArsenal47
07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Good Call: The Louisiana Purchase. $15 Million (adjusted to inflation, ~$217 Billion) for a big chunk of Middle America. Also a good call on Napoleon's part, he helped America get larger and put up a better fight against England, helping himself out.

Bad Call: FDR and Churchill at the Yalta Conference. Giving the USSR the Eastern Bloc gave them more power and resources to use against the west in the Cold War. But maybe I'm wrong on this one, Stalin might've triple crossed and started attacking the Allies.

Good Call: Manhattan Project. FDR did a fantastic job at listening to Einstein and the guy who's name escapes me. If it weren't for the Atomic Bomb, WWII would've been much more tragic, with the lives of many more Americans and Japanese lost in the Pacific theater. And who knows, maybe the Soviets could've established nuclear superiority early on and won the Cold War.

Bad Call: Napoleon + Hitler's invasions of Russia. Should've taken some tips from the Mongols.

Who's got some more?

Crower
07-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Bad call: Vietnam war...75 thousand Americans and 5 million Vietnamese soldiers and civilians died.

They all died in vein...Vietnam is still a communist country till this day.

Rdez
07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Bad Call: France builds the Maginot line only along their shared border with Germany. "They won't dare attack Belgium, we'll totally be safe!"

Bad Call: Japan bombs Pearl Harbor. "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant".

Bad Call: "NEW" Coke.

GeorgeCarlinJr
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Bad Call: France builds the Maginot line only along their shared border with Germany. "They won't dare attack Belgium, we'll totally be safe!"

Bad Call: Japan bombs Pearl Harbor. "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant".

Bad Call: "NEW" Coke.

That isn't a real quote

just sayin'

Blindead
07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
The Mongols beat the **** out of Russia and made them vassal states lol, wtf you talking about?

JustAnotherUser
07-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Bad call: Vietnam war...75 thousand Americans and 5 million Vietnamese soldiers and civilians died.

They all died in vein...Vietnam is still a communist country till this day.

all for nothing. And laregely because of our own studity.

brb, installing a Catholic president in a Buddhist country who turns out to be very anti-Buddhist

StylesOfBeyond
07-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Bad Call: Battle of Adrianople. Roman Emperor goes into battle with a hungry tired army, gives the finger to reinforcements and does it alone. Loses the battle against a a migrating tribe called the Goths who later pillage and slaughter throughout the entire Empire, seriously weakening it.

If Valens, the Emperor, had waited for reinforcements it's almost certain he would have won. And with the Goths dealt with, it's very possible Rome would have endured.

Good call: America enters WW2. As well as aiding the Allied Cause, I think that America's involvement may well have tamed the Russians. After the capture of Berlin, without American boots on the ground, and with no fear of an atomic reprisal, I think Stalin would have at least considered marching West and expanding the USSR more.

Streetbull
07-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Good Call: The Louisiana Purchase. $15 Million (adjusted to inflation, ~$217 Billion) for a big chunk of Middle America. Also a good call on Napoleon's part, he helped America get larger and put up a better fight against England, helping himself out.

Bad Call: FDR and Churchill at the Yalta Conference. Giving the USSR the Eastern Bloc gave them more power and resources to use against the west in the Cold War. But maybe I'm wrong on this one, Stalin might've triple crossed and started attacking the Allies.

Good Call: Manhattan Project. FDR did a fantastic job at listening to Einstein and the guy who's name escapes me. If it weren't for the Atomic Bomb, WWII would've been much more tragic, with the lives of many more Americans and Japanese lost in the Pacific theater. And who knows, maybe the Soviets could've established nuclear superiority early on and won the Cold War.

Bad Call: Napoleon + Hitler's invasions of Russia. Should've taken some tips from the Mongols.

Who's got some more?

The Dem Congress not allowing Social Security money to be invested in the stock market. Imagine how wealthy we would be if capital had flowed into the markets for decades, a sure and steady inflow of money every month! We'd be twice as wealthy as a nation.

Newtt
07-29-2010, 05:35 AM
The Dem Congress not allowing Social Security money to be invested in the stock market. Imagine how wealthy we would be if capital had flowed into the markets for decades, a sure and steady inflow of money every month! We'd be twice as wealthy as a nation.

To inflate even larger asset bubbles only to later collapse and the entire fund (or what should be a 'fund') go bankrupt? Not that it already hasn't...