PDA

View Full Version : Debating getting back into gaming (maybe PS3)

szary89
07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
I used to game quite a bit on my dreamcast and PS2 but for the last 2 years havent done much of it. Debating picking up a PS3 and getting back into it, but here are some of the pro's and cons as I see it

pros:
- fun
- something to do while bored

cons:
- costs a lot of money
- could distract me from my university studies
- could eat into my social life

I dont kno, i just sort of feel like I've outgrown gaming? Looking back I wasted quite a bit of time infront of screens when I could've been out doing more productive things...Anyone else feel like this?

Alephz
07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I take a PS3 to uni and it doesn't really distract me that much.

I can definitely tell you an MMORPG will distract you from your studies which is why I vowed to never play such a thing ever again.

Veldy
07-14-2010, 05:21 PM
I take a PS3 to uni and it doesn't really distract me that much.

I can definitely tell you an MMORPG will distract you from your studies which is why I vowed to never play such a thing ever again.

I agree. I quit my RPG and MMORPG life while at school. Maybe later when I don't have tests I should be studying for haha.
But I do want to play.. So we'll see what I can convince myself of doing lol

But really, the way I see it:
Gaming is just like any other way to waste some time.. (time you don't plan on doing anything productive) You could be reading a book, watching a movie, jerking off, knitting, WHATEVER.
As long as you get the important stuff done first, it really shouldn't matter what you do in your free time.

It's not really going to cost you that much if you don't buy every single game.. Hell, I have like 5 games that I've purchased over the years.. Stuff like Halo. If you're playing online with a bunch of friends, one game will last you a really long time.
If you're gaming alone though, it might be a different story.

Almost any hobby is going to cost you some money :)

EDIT: being "productive" depends on how you think about it.
You can't be out designing webpages and solving world hunger 24/7, you will need some downtime.
If it's time that you're trying to spend relaxing after you've done something productive -- then it's just something to keep you occupied for a few hours.

If you let it take over your life.. that's when you have problems lol

mrawdtsi
07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
$400 PS3 is just a couple weekends out at the bar.... think of it that way...

i suffer from the $100 bar tab syndrome, then wonder how the F i spent so much the next day. :cool:

CLEAN_SET_OF_10
07-15-2010, 10:42 AM
do it phaggot