PDA

View Full Version : Five levels of self-awareness as they unfold early in life

user5145
07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
When do children become aware of themselves as differentiated and unique entity in the world? When
and how do they become self-aware? Based on some recent empirical evidence, 5 levels of self-awareness are
presented and discussed as they chronologically unfold from the moment of birth to approximately 4–5
years of age. A natural history of childrens developing self-awareness is proposed as well as a model of
adult self-awareness that is informed by the dynamic of early development. Adult self-awareness is viewed
as the dynamic flux between basic levels of consciousness that develop chronologically early in life.
2003 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Philippe Rochat
Department of Psychology, Emory University, 532 North Kilgo Circle, Atlanta, Ga 30322, USA

http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cognition/rochat/Rochat5levels.pdf

Fascinating article that attempts to describe the different stages in the development of self-awareness in humans. Really made me think about what it is to be self-aware and conscious.

wildphucker
07-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Were not even sure if self-awareness is across the board for all humans.....

we cant test for it, or see any evidence of it.

its the problem of 'other minds'

user5145
07-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Did you read the paper?

TBU
07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Read a few pages, pretty interesting so far

wapacmane
07-13-2010, 10:40 PM
"based on empirical evidence" stopped reading right there.

onemoreround
07-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Link?
How do i get to source?

buffuntcay
07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I can literally remember the day when i became conscious, I was about 4 years old, I had just woken up and i felt all confused and all my memories seemed shrouded and it literally felt like i had only been a live like 5 days.

So i tried to remember back to 2 weeks ago and i was able to, but it was the strangest thing ever that day, becoming aware

user5145
07-14-2010, 06:26 AM
"based on empirical evidence" stopped reading right there.

Que?

Link?
How do i get to source?

My bad:

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. - Native American Proverb

http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cognition/rochat/Rochat5levels.pdf

I can literally remember the day when i became conscious, I was about 4 years old, I had just woken up and i felt all confused and all my memories seemed shrouded and it literally felt like i had only been a live like 5 days.

So i tried to remember back to 2 weeks ago and i was able to, but it was the strangest thing ever that day, becoming aware

That's insane.