PDA

View Full Version : Any science related grad students in here?

burnedfish
07-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I am working towards a Ph.D. in cognitive neuroscience, but still have a long way to go. Haven't finished my coursework yet. I am currently running research in our Brain and Cognition Lab and loving it. How about you all?

wildphucker
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
MBBS

I was honestly gonna go into a Phd brah, but postdoc positions seriously dont pay well enough for the years you spend in school.

Shame tho, woulda loved to do Phd

burnedfish
07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
MBBS

I was honestly gonna go into a Phd brah, but postdoc positions seriously dont pay well enough for the years you spend in school.

Shame tho, woulda loved to do Phd

That's a medical surgical degree right?

Yeah, and with cognitive sciences, your main option (which I am aiming for) is to remain in academia and teach/research, which probably will not lead to a house in the hills and a bentley, lol.

Ralph Wiggum
07-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Ph.D candidate - Physical Oceanography.

I work on remote sensing of the ocean and helping to build ocean models. I work with High Frequency Radar to map surface currents, slocum underwater gliders to profile the ocean from surface to depth, and satellites to analyze sst and ocean color (algae).

wildphucker
07-13-2010, 04:43 PM
That's a medical surgical degree right?

MBBS-bchelor of medicine bachelor of surgery

burnedfish
07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Ph.D candidate - Physical Oceanography.

I work on remote sensing of the ocean and helping to build ocean models. I work with High Frequency Radar to map surface currents, slocum underwater gliders to profile the ocean from surface to depth, and satellites to analyze sst and ocean color (algae).

Fascinating! How did you get involved in that? Was it a long-time passion?

Is there a complete map of the topography of all the oceans?

burnedfish
07-13-2010, 04:47 PM
MBBS-bchelor of medicine bachelor of surgery

nice! are you working in the field right now?

wildphucker
07-13-2010, 04:49 PM
nice! are you working in the field right now?

not really brah still gotta getsa degree.....but a med student seriously spends most of his later years in the hospital.

Trauma/ER rotation was fukin hectic, saw MVA victim come into emergency literally torn in half(ejected from car and hit road barrier)

burnedfish
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
not really brah still gotta getsa degree.....but a med student seriously spends most of his later years in the hospital.

Trauma/ER rotation was fukin hectic, saw MVA victim come into emergency literally torn in half(ejected from car and hit road barrier)

Woah. Did they survive?

Ralph Wiggum
07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Fascinating! How did you get involved in that? Was it a long-time passion?

Is there a complete map of the topography of all the oceans?

I've always loved the ocean. I kind of fell into ocean physics though. I was actually a biology undergrad and started working in a lab. I just stuck with it because its important and the stuff came naturally to me. I hope to switch back to marine biology as a post-doc. That's the benefit of having a Ph.D. You can really do whatever the hell you want after you get your Ph.D.

There is a complete map of the sea surface floor. The Navy put Altimetry Satellites up into space back in the 80s and they have been developing new ones ever since. Altimetry satellites work by beaming a wave down to the surface of the ocean and measuring the height of the sea surface. From this, they can accurately map the bathymetric features below the surface of the ocean. I can't give you the error, but its very accurate. It's kind of insane that you can measure the bathymetry of the ocean from space. Cool **** though..