PDA

View Full Version : My own formulas

Trillios
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
What's up everyone? I wanted to share this with the new/old users. There are soooooooooooo many studies thrown out with the appropriate ratios/numbers based on bodyweight or total calories, etc. You all know what I'm talking about. We see constant posts asking what ratios seem to be the best for X goal. I came up with my own little formula that seems to hit the sweet spot all around. I've personally tested this on myself and it works best for me apart from everything I have tried. It is something like a combination of all the stuff we have read. Here goes:

If you want to bulk/cut: Take CURRENT caloric intake and add/subtract desired surplus/deficit to start (for the sake of showing an example I'll show 500cals bulk)

1-1.5g/lb = answer X 4 = protein calories
200lb man> 1 x 200= 200g x 4 = 800 calories

He was cutting say at 2500. He will bulk at 3000.

Take the new total calorie goal and subtract protein cals:
3000-800= 2200 cals to play with...here is where most people go nuts...they don't know how much fat or carbs.

Some will go with ratios. Others with bodyweight calculations. I have personally seen the best results with taking the calories you have left to play with and splitting it 70/30 (carb/fat). This will assure that you're getting sufficient fats to meet no less than 15% fat calories from TOTAL CALORIES while still focusing on carbs for energy and growth.

2200cals x .7 = 1540/4 = 385g carbs
2200cals x .3 = 660/9 = roughly 75g fat

200lb man bulking at 3000 total calories. Macro breakdown:

200g protein
385g carbs
75g fat --> x 9 = 675cals / 3000cals = 23% of total calories

Thus my formula satisfies the fat requirement, protein requirement, and still yielding a high carb diet with lots of energy. Just tried with an 80/20 approach for remaining cals and it yields too little fat intake. Anything above 20% of remainder cals for fats seems to satisfy dietary fat intake.

Yea call me crazy for doing this but I wanted to share lol.

EDIT: 70/30 IS OPTIMAL FOR ME...anyone else can try a higher fat approach (60/40 or 50/50). I prefer the carbs generally speaking.
EDIT#2: Seeing as the majority of research shows dietary fat intake to be weight based (0.3-0.5/lb), try out my formula and then assess your intake. If you're shy of meeting the daily requirement then simply reduce carbs and/or protein and bring those cals over to fats.
EDIT#3: It's been brought to my attention that a higher protein intake will further reduce the chances of a healthy dietary intake. NEW GUIDELINE(generally for myself and those to choose to use): Recommended protein dietary intake 1g/lb if bulking and no more than 1.5g/lb when cutting. Even with this new guideline I just made there is still a risk of low dietary intake...if so just see EDIT#2.

PBateman2
07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Good post and good perspective.

As you state, how one partitions carbs and fat is a very individual thing.

I personally prefer more healthy fats.

Repped.

desslok
07-08-2010, 03:14 PM
75g fat --> x 9 = 675cals / 3000cals = 0.23% of total calories

Think you mean 23% here, don't want mathematically challenged people to get confused there. Good post though!

determined4000
07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
This will assure that you're getting sufficient fats to meet no less than 15% fat calories from TOTAL CALORIES while still focusing on carbs for energy and growth.

except for the fact that the min. requirement is not % based
it is weight (or LBM more specifically) based
Using your method, someone with a small intake for their weight may not be getting enough fat
you also said protein is 1- 1.5
if said person is taking in 1.5-->400 less calories to work with-->less fat-->greater chance not meeting minimum

Trillios
07-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Good post and good perspective.

As you state, how one partitions carbs and fat is a very individual thing.

I personally prefer more healthy fats.

Repped.

Thank you. Yea beginners such as myself when I first began posting here will drive themselves nearly crazy trying to figure out a happy medium or what is best. People should experiment.

Think you mean 23% here, don't want mathematically challenged people to get confused there. Good post though!

Thanks. Fixed!

except for the fact that the min. requirement is not % based
it is weight (or LBM more specifically) based
Using your method, someone with a small intake for their weight may not be getting enough fat
you also said protein is 1- 1.5
if said person is taking in 1.5-->400 less calories to work with-->less fat-->greater chance not meeting minimum

I agree on the minimum being weight based. If that's the case then people can still use my (or ANY) formula then assess their total intake at the end and swing carbs and/or protein over to their fat intake.

I just did a few calculations and you're right the chance gets higher as you lean towards higher protein. I believe if I stick to 1g/lb it would satisfy a HUGE spectrum of people unless they are currently 300lbs or more. I'd have to touch up what I posted a little bit to include this factor. Thanks for pointing it out!