PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Food

CA954
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Let me preface this by saying I recognize there are an abundance of posts on this subject and many of them say similar things. However, having said that, many foods commonly listed give me problems.

I'm 27 years old, 6'3, and down to 177lb (from like 179 - I've been nursing a wrist injury for 5 weeks and its killing my soul to not lift my right side at the moment). When I was 18 I weighed 120, at 21 I was around 135, @ 24... around 150. All in all I'd like to think I have a general idea of what to eat and what not to eat, but it gets really tough finding things to eat that don't become horribly boring and monotonous. I'm looking for some new ideas to supplement what I try to eat so I can limit some of the junk I end up eating to keep my calories up.

I'm lactose intolerant. Soy also gives me... issues. Whey Protein Isolate powders irritate and inflame my throat. Bananas irritate and inflame my throat. Carrots and egg whites cause my throat to swell and close. I have to limit my intake of insoluble fiber (and I mean limit) or suffer medium to dire consequences, depending. For some reason Ham has been a little troublesome too. There are a few other things I can't recall at the moment.

Prior to my wrist injury I was trying to eat at least 3500, shooting for 4000, calories per day but since then I've fallen to around 2800-3000 due to a variety of reasons including inconvenience while traveling. Any comments, suggestions, and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated in my lifelong goal to not be skinny.

Thanks.

thegymbum
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear about your injuries, and also sorry to hear about all the intolerance issues! I can only imagine your frustration. It does sound like finding good options is going to be a challenge. How severe is your lactose intolerance? In some cases, taking lactase is enough to allow people to consume some dairy; don't know if you've tried it, but if not, maybe it would be worth while in order to get soem dairy protein into your diet. My first thoughts are incorporating a lot of meat and fish into your meal plan. Chicken, turkey, beef, tuna, salmon, tilapia, other seafood. Sounds like those would be your best options for good sources of protein! Although protein shakes can be helpful, they're not necessary, so you're probably OK if you can't handle them :)

As for carbohydrate sources, you only mentioned insoluble fibers, so I'm guessing you're OK with soluble fibers? If so, oatmeal would be a GREAT option. It's high in complex carbs so would be a great staple. I would also try to eat a lot of stuff like rice, cream of wheat, perhaps oat bran potatoes, etc. Barley is another good grain to try that's mostly soluble fiber.

For supplements... have you ever tried drinnking Ensure or Boost? If not, they're pretty hypoallergenic, so might be more tolerable but would be a great source of extra calories and balanced nutrition.

Anyway, good luck! I hope you're able to get things figured out!

thegymbum
07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh, one more question, though; have you tried Casein powder? Maybe that would be a tolerable option if you wanted to add in an extra source of protein in shake form. If you get 100% casein, it's just isolated casein protein, so unlike the whole dairy product, the lactose is removed. You could try something such as Optimum Nutrition's 100% casein to see how that settles if you wanted :)