PDA

View Full Version : soccer experts: how did usa make it so far in the world cup?

jedi786
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
given that a European/Spanish college level team would probably beat them given some of USA players performances in non-MLS teams.

(e.g. landon donovan had 0 combined goals when he played on Bayern Munich + Bayer Leverkusen and 2 goals @ everton)

can someone explain this phenomenon?

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
So far? they made it out of their pool, of which they were the second highest ranked team.

I is confused.

jedi786
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
So far? they made it out of their pool, of which they were the second highest ranked team.

I is confused.

tied 1-1 with england? they are ranked 14th in fifa rankings prior to said worldcup.

Chitownbrah
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
The US was in the easiest group of the world cup, once out of the group they were knocked out in the first round.

The question is why didn't the US make it further?? They had an easy side, and a semi-final appearance was doable. i am dissapoint usa

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
tied 1-1 with england? they are ranked 14th in fifa rankings prior to said worldcup.

14 tied 8, not exactly shocking. Especially since it was a lucky bounce.

The US was in the easiest group of the world cup, once out of the group they were knocked out in the first round.

The question is why didn't the US make it further?? They had an easy side, and a semi-final appearance was doable. i am dissapoint usa

This.

jedi786
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM

dude they tied with england..

Jyeatbvg
07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Many Americans underestimate their soccer team because it is overshadowed by many other sports in USA. In the 2006 World Cup, the USA team was ranked (though too high IMO) 5th going into the world cup. Your side is good but people always have the perception that countries like England have the best soccer teams since soccer (especially EPL) is huge over there.

To answer your other question, soccer between countries is very different. Landon Donavon obviously didn't strive in the English system but does in the American system. It's due to many factors, from confidence to playing style to the coach. Half of Spain's basketball team from 2006 didn't play in the NBA but they still won the World Championship.

Cliffs:
- USA soccer is actually decent
- Americans are unaware of their soccer team decency
- Threads like this are made

koushan
07-06-2010, 05:54 PM

1. lucky bounce to tie england
2. england under achieved all tournament. whoopdidoo
3. easiest ride of tournament and they lost to ghana.
4. they didn't really make it all that far.
5. they have the easiest qualifications, their main competition is honduras, canada and jamaica *face palm. if they were in other continents, they may have not even qualified.
6. just because they are in the world cup, doesn't automatically make them better than teams that didn't qualify. (Euro teams that didn't qualify due to high competition are still better then US)

not hating, just answering question. god knows they did better than Canada. but no need to over hype US, because they are the US. would be an average performance by anybody else.

bking10
07-06-2010, 06:13 PM
1. lucky bounce to tie england
2. england under achieved all tournament. whoopdidoo
3. easiest ride of tournament and they lost to ghana.
4. they didn't really make it all that far.
5. they have the easiest qualifications, their main competition is honduras, canada and jamaica *face palm. if they were in other continents, they may have not even qualified.
6. just because they are in the world cup, doesn't automatically make them better than teams that didn't qualify. (Euro teams that didn't qualify due to high competition are still better then US)

not hating, just answering question. god knows they did better than Canada. but no need to over hype US, because they are the US. would be an average performance by anybody else.

dude we finished 2nd in the Confederations Cup last year. we held r own against the best, so its not like we got lucky to qualify.

so losing in the round of 16 is average for everyone else? thats good to know. cause i thought that being in the top 16 out of 208 would be better than average

Chitownbrah
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM

How is that relevant in any way to my post?

Chitownbrah
07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
dude we finished 2nd in the Confederations Cup last year. we held r own against the best, so its not like we got lucky to qualify.

so losing in the round of 16 is average for everyone else? thats good to know. cause i thought that being in the top 16 out of 208 would be better than average

Round of 16 for a team ranked 14 is average.. The U.S. shoulve done better..

Had the U.S. been against a Spain, Germany, Argentina, or Holland in the round of 16.. then yes I would be happy.. but it was ****ing Ghana.. and winner faced Uruguay.. Can you not see how feasibly it was for the U.S. to go much further?

koushan
07-06-2010, 06:31 PM

for a team that is "ranked 14th" being top 16 is indeed average. they didn't blow anyone away with their easy group, or their performance against an easy round of 16 opponent.

env
07-06-2010, 07:06 PM
FIFA rankings mean nothing.

ajn
07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
the US pretty much got as far as they were supposed to.

if they were in other brackets they probably wouldn't have advanced.

env
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
the US pretty much got as far as they were supposed to.

if they were in other brackets they probably wouldn't have advanced.

naw they should have reached the quarterfinals.

i personally see this world cup as a fail as far as the USA is concerned.

mjfan12
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
total dissappointment for me

too bad he media is not hard on the team as they should be since none of them care.

they all praise bradley but he made some errors selecting the team and his lineups. findley and clark are garbage and they were directly responsible for some goals.

plus this team had no sense of desperation. take some hard fouls against ghana, when that dude had the break in OT, boca should have gotten a yellow and given up a FK instead of a goal.

howard is also overated, him being in everton, a midlevel club is appropriate. hopefully our record of producing good keepers will continue and a new guy will emerge.

Big7Ben86
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
same way we did in olympic hockey

USA is a BA country, we still succeed in our underlooked sports

env
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
howard is also overated, him being in everton, a midlevel club is appropriate. hopefully our record of producing good keepers will continue and a new guy will emerge.

howard did save our ass many times though.