PDA

View Full Version : SEC=Domination

jtaylor2010
07-06-2010, 04:25 PM
http://blog.al.com/solomon/2010/06/sec_dominates_major_national_c.html

It's becoming old hat for the SEC. Put a team in the national championship of a major sport, leave with a trophy. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Seriously, is that all that you got?

South Carolina's national title in baseball Tuesday gives the SEC exactly half of the national championships over the past five years in the four major sports -- football, baseball, men's basketball and women's basketball.

The SEC has gone 10-1 in national championship games in those sports since 2006, with only Georgia baseball losing to Fresno State in 2008. If you're keeping score at home, that's national titles for Alabama football, Florida football (twice), LSU football, Florida men's basketball (twice), Tennessee women's basketball (twice), LSU baseball and South Carolina baseball. The ACC has the next-most collection of titles in the big four sports over the past five years, with three.

The carnage is spread equally among other conferences vs. the SEC in big-four sport title games. The Big 12 is 0-3, the Big Ten is 0-3, the Pac-10 is 0-3 and the Big East is 0-1. Give it up to the WAC, which is 1-0. Repeat victims against the SEC in title games read like a who's-who of nationally-dominant programs: Ohio State (three times), Texas (twice) and UCLA (twice).

Is the SEC the best collective conference in these four sports?

Over the past five years, the answer is resoundingly yes. But there needs to be a qualifier. History tells us conferences dominate in cycles.

Over the previous five years, from 2000-01 to 2004-05, the Big East won eight national titles in the big-four sports. The SEC? Only one, and a split one at that, for LSU football. The SEC had as many national titles in the big-four sports during those five years as the Big West and Conference USA, and the SEC trailed the Big East, Big 12, ACC and Pac-10.

Let's be clear: The SEC isn't the most dominant conference when factoring in every sport. When it comes to broad-based national titles across all sports, the SEC finished tied for fourth in 2009-10 with four: football, baseball, women's swimming and diving (Florida) and men's indoor track (Florida). The ACC and Pac-10 each had eight, and the Big Ten had five.
On the biggest stages, though, the SEC continues to dominate. Another day, another major national title.

ShadowClutch
07-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Showing some SEC love. Go Gators!

Krunk Fu
07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
No one cares about baseball up here. Basketball and Football. And the SEC is good at 1/2.

jump_man23
07-06-2010, 04:56 PM
pac-10 > sec

you guys have only been better because you have more teams. pac -10 will dominate now

Clives_Bicep
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
pac-10 > sec

you guys have only been better because you have more teams. pac -10 will dominate now

so much fail in this post

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/forum/animated_gifs/keep-trying.gif

Miked1978
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
pac-10 > sec

Your logic is poor and I don't even like the SEC.

Pac 10 = USC + 9

NoS_oUtLaSt
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
pac-10 > sec

lmao i was like lmao

Miked1978
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM

It's becoming old hat for the SEC. Put a team in the national championship of a major sport, leave with a trophy. Rinse, wash, repeat.

South Carolina's national title in baseball Tuesday gives the SEC exactly half of the national championships over the past five years in the four major sports -- football, baseball, men's basketball and women's basketball.

The SEC has gone 10-1 in national championship games in those sports since 2006, with only Georgia baseball losing to Fresno State in 2008. If you're keeping score at home, that's national titles for Alabama football, Florida football (twice), LSU football, Florida men's basketball (twice), Tennessee women's basketball (twice), LSU baseball and South Carolina baseball. The ACC has the next-most collection of titles in the big four sports over the past five years, with three.

The carnage is spread equally among other conferences vs. the SEC in big-four sport title games. The Big 12 is 0-3, the Big Ten is 0-3, the Pac-10 is 0-3 and the Big East is 0-1. Give it up to the WAC, which is 1-0. Repeat victims against the SEC in title games read like a who's-who of nationally-dominant programs: Ohio State (three times), Texas (twice) and UCLA (twice).

Over the past five years, the answer is resoundingly yes. But there needs to be a qualifier. History tells us conferences dominate in cycles.

Over the previous five years, from 2000-01 to 2004-05, the Big East won eight national titles in the big-four sports. The SEC? Only one, and a split one at that, for LSU football. The SEC had as many national titles in the big-four sports during those five years as the Big West and Conference USA, and the SEC trailed the Big East, Big 12, ACC and Pac-10.

Let's be clear: The SEC isn't the most dominant conference when factoring in every sport. When it comes to broad-based national titles across all sports, the SEC finished tied for fourth in 2009-10 with four: football, baseball, women's swimming and diving (Florida) and men's indoor track (Florida). The ACC and Pac-10 each had eight, and the Big Ten had five.
On the biggest stages, though, the SEC continues to dominate. Another day, another major national title.

LOL at you mentioning women's basketball and women's diving.

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 05:31 PM

GJDM. Came in expecting you to be the typical SEC fan that thinks past 6-7 years=history of college sports.

jtaylor2010
07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
pac-10 > sec

What was the Pac 10 record in bowl games last year? And the year before that only half the conference was bowl eligible, and the half that didnt become bowl eligible were absolutely horrible. Every single year we get 8-10 teams in bowls and have the best record of BCS conferences. We pwn the BCS bowl game record and are undefeated in BCS title games. Now the only school carrying the torch for yalls conference got slammed with sanctions and had an awesome head coach leave to be replaced by an SEC reject. And yall picked up a bad Big 12 team(like yall needed anymore bad teams in the conference). Adding Utah will help though....I guess yall figured if you're gonna get your ass beat by MWC teams every year might as well get em to join so they count as conference losses.

wbeaver
07-06-2010, 06:08 PM
pac-10 > sec

So Colorado and Utah make that much of a difference? The Pac 10 has had 1 legit team this decade. The SEC has won the last 4 NC's, with 3 different teams winning it. The SEC is the only conference with more BCS wins than the number of teams in the conference. If the SEC was just better because it had more teams, by your logic the Pac 10 should have more than 10 BCS wins, but they don't.

BCS Championships:

SEC: 6
Big 12: 2
Big 10: 1
Big East: 1
Pac 10: 1
ACC: 1

AP Champions:

SEC: 18
Big 12: 18
Big 10: 15
Ind.: 10
ACC: 10
Pac 10: 9
Big East: 3
MWC: 2

BOZZ
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
I could care less. The only two sports I really care about are Football and Wrestling and well its pretty indisputable that the Big10 OWNS wrestling and has for quite some time. I can deal with the Big10 Losing the BCS title in bowl games because I still have wrestling (YES BIG10 homer that wrestled in that conference) to look forward to come spring

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I could care less. The only two sports I really care about are Football and Wrestling and well its pretty indisputable that the Big10 OWNS wrestling and has for quite some time. I can deal with the Big10 Losing the BCS title in bowl games because I still have wrestling (YES BIG10 homer that wrestled in that conference) to look forward to come spring

Sweet, what school? I bet you are loving BTN for the wrestling coverage.

(no rep beg)

SwagMorris
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1099809

Max~Power
07-06-2010, 07:00 PM
great thread...

BOZZ
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Sweet, what school? I bet you are loving BTN for the wrestling coverage.

(no rep beg)

Cant say that because everyone knows what High School I wrestled at and it would make it REALLY easy to put 2+2 together.

matiemcgee123
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
great read. not rly

jump_man23
07-06-2010, 07:08 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/1552mbt.jpg

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Cant say that because everyone knows what High School I wrestled at and it would make it REALLY easy to put 2+2 together.

Understandable.

Knew a couple kids who went to OSU on scholarship. They transferred after freshman year thought to go to NYC.

Met Bobby Douglas once, grew up near his hometown. Completely great guy from my 5 minute encounter with him.

Backus24
07-06-2010, 07:30 PM
What was the Pac 10 record in bowl games last year? And the year before that only half the conference was bowl eligible, and the half that didnt become bowl eligible were absolutely horrible. Every single year we get 8-10 teams in bowls and have the best record of BCS conferences. We pwn the BCS bowl game record and are undefeated in BCS title games. Now the only school carrying the torch for yalls conference got slammed with sanctions and had an awesome head coach leave to be replaced by an SEC reject. And yall picked up a bad Big 12 team(like yall needed anymore bad teams in the conference). Adding Utah will help though....I guess yall figured if you're gonna get your ass beat by MWC teams every year might as well get em to join so they count as conference losses.

Are you concerned that South Carolina is 4-11 all-time in bowl games?

Keep licking the SEC taint to make yourself feel better about your sorry excuse for a football program.

And please, tell us more about women's basketball and diving

BOZZ
07-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I've gotten to meet and train with a lot of cool cats in my day. Brock, Cael,and I went to a clinic WAY back in the day hosted by Kurt Angle

b3rtstare
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm not gonna dispute the SEC's Cycle of wins this last half-decade but I will say this: Bama got lucky Colt McCoy got hurt. They almost lost to a True Freshman and ended up having to run up the score when the game was in hand to make themselves look better. Big XII is set to make a good run.

Max~Power
07-06-2010, 08:23 PM
i'm not gonna dispute the sec's cycle of wins this last half-decade but i will say this: Bama got lucky colt mccoy got hurt. They almost lost to a true freshman and ended up having to run up the score when the game was in hand to make themselves look better. Big xii is set to make a good run.

gtfo...

b3rtstare
07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
gtfo...

The truth hurts brah.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/aggreko07/haters.gif

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Big XII is set to make a good run.

LOL, Texas and the 9 dwarfs?

Pauly-Walnuts
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
SEC is on a good run but as stated by OP it's a cycle.

Max~Power
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm not gonna dispute the SEC's Cycle of wins this last half-decade but I will say this: Bama got lucky Colt McCoy got hurt. They almost lost to a True Freshman and ended up having to run up the score when the game was in hand to make themselves look better. Big XII is set to make a good run.

The truth hurts brah.

You would know

wbeaver
07-06-2010, 08:53 PM

IMO, had McCoy not gotten hurt, the game would have been closer. But if you are Alabama, right after he got hurt, you are thinking the game is over. Their biggest weapon is down. So they took it back a bit. If they played like he was still in the game when he wasn't, there would be a larger point differential. You could tell they were thinking the game was basically over. If you're Nick Saban and you realize that the opposing QB is a true freshman with experience totaling a few games as a relief QB, then wouldn't you scale back the team a little so that you run the risk of not getting any injuries?

Max~Power
07-06-2010, 09:05 PM
IMO, had McCoy not gotten hurt, the game would have been closer. But if you are Alabama, right after he got hurt, you are thinking the game is over. Their biggest weapon is down. So they took it back a bit. If they played like he was still in the game when he wasn't, there would be a larger point differential. You could tell they were thinking the game was basically over. If you're nick Saban and you realize that the opposing QB is a true freshman with experience totaling a few games as a relief QB, then wouldn't you scale back the team a little so that you run the risk of not getting any injuries?

This guy thinks 9/11 was an inside job. Your great post will be brushed aside...

Backus24
07-06-2010, 09:25 PM
IMO, had McCoy not gotten hurt, the game would have been closer. But if you are Alabama, right after he got hurt, you are thinking the game is over. Their biggest weapon is down. So they took it back a bit. If they played like he was still in the game when he wasn't, there would be a larger point differential. You could tell they were thinking the game was basically over. If you're Nick Saban and you realize that the opposing QB is a true freshman with experience totaling a few games as a relief QB, then wouldn't you scale back the team a little so that you run the risk of not getting any injuries?

lol

Yeah, in the NC game I would definitely scale it back a little, don't want anyone getting hurt.

pls go

Calhexas
07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
The truth hurts brah.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/aggreko07/haters.gif

The truth is Texas went in with the gameplan consisting of Colt McCoy + Shipley and Bama wrecked that idea immediately. Good for them for ALMOST making a game of it. Bad for them for letting FRESHMAN put up 100+ rushing yards and 2 TDs on them. Shipley saved face for Texas but what do you expect...the guy was like 28 years old or some sh!t.

LiftHeavy85
07-06-2010, 11:33 PM
lets be reality here, lsu, bama and florida all that matters in the sec when it comes to football

Arkansas_Muscle
07-07-2010, 02:39 AM
inb4 razorbacks dominate the sec in football this year

jtaylor2010
07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Are you concerned that South Carolina is 4-11 all-time in bowl games?

Keep licking the SEC taint to make yourself feel better about your sorry excuse for a football program.

And please, tell us more about women's basketball and diving

No Im not concerned. I dont give a damn what happened in the past. The two programs with the most wins (ND and Mich) suck right now. Our program is headed in the right direction. Are you concerned that you are a hater?

jtaylor2010
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
lets be reality here, lsu, bama and florida all that matters in the sec when it comes to football

yeah because its not like UGA, UT, and Auburn all have BCS bowl wins as well. And even the other schools that are only considered mid tier SEC still usually win their bowl games. Hell, even sorry ass Vandy beat an ACC division champion the last time they managed to get into a bowl.

Max~Power
07-07-2010, 11:22 AM
lol

Yeah, in the NC game I would definitely scale it back a little, don't want anyone getting hurt.

pls go

You know how I know you didn't watch the game?

johnnyj411
07-07-2010, 12:23 PM

really.........

Backus24
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
No Im not concerned. I dont give a damn what happened in the past. The two programs with the most wins (ND and Mich) suck right now. Our program is headed in the right direction. Are you concerned that you are a hater?

Not a hater. Just saying, making a thread about how great the SEC is (I'm aware they are the best conference, and I go to Ohio State and admit it) when your specific team is garbage makes you look like a tool.

Brb bragging about Michigan being the all-time winningest program because they are in the Big Ten but they aren't my team/school.

You know how I know you didn't watch the game?

Watched the game brah. College football is what I live for.

Bama looked terrible, the game was much closer than the score would lead you to believe

jtaylor2010
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Not a hater. Just saying, making a thread about how great the SEC is (I'm aware they are the best conference, and I go to Ohio State and admit it) when your specific team is garbage makes you look like a tool.

Brb bragging about Michigan being the all-time winningest program because they are in the Big Ten but they aren't my team/school.

Bama looked terrible, the game was much closer than the score would lead you to believe

And yet your team cant manage to beat my garbage team...or any other SEC team for that matter. So I cant make a thread about college sports?? I never said SC was a great football school. But since you bought up our bowl record how does it make you feel that half of our all time bowl wins came against your always over rated Buckeyes?Just admit that you're a hater...you'll feel better once its out in the open.

Backus24
07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
And yet your team cant manage to beat my garbage team...or any other SEC team for that matter. So I cant make a thread about college sports?? I never said SC was a great football school. But since you bought up our bowl record how does it make you feel that half of our all time bowl wins came against your always over rated Buckeyes?Just admit that you're a hater...you'll feel better once its out in the open.

Lulz

If you honestly think SC would have beaten OSU the last 6 years you are quite delusional.

You beat us the first time effectively getting John Cooper fired ( thanks) and Tressel's first year with the team. Congrats

And again, I am not a hater, I would have to be at least somewhat jealous of little uSC to be a hater.

Just pointing out facts. Your team is irrelevant, every, single, year. You're just lucky you can claim the conference you play in, because that's all you have going for you.

jtaylor2010
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Lulz

If you honestly think SC would have beaten OSU the last 6 years you are quite delusional.

You beat us the first time effectively getting John Cooper fired ( thanks) and Tressel's first year with the team. Congrats

And again, I am not a hater, I would have to be at least somewhat jealous of little uSC to be a hater.

Just pointing out facts. Your team is irrelevant, every, single, year. You're just lucky you can claim the conference you play in, because that's all you have going for you.

Oh well, either way Im happy with the direction our team is heading so we'll see how it goes the next few years. I guess at least we can both agree that pulling against Mich. and ND every week is fun.

Backus24
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh well, either way Im happy with the direction our team is heading so we'll see how it goes the next few years. I guess at least we can both agree that pulling against Mich. and ND every week is fun.

Agreed.

Here, haz some reps

Calhexas
07-07-2010, 06:42 PM

You're right. Bama should be embarassed. They only had two runningbacks with 100+ yard games and 2 rushing touchdowns a piece on what was supposed to be the best rush defense in the nation. And the game was only for the national title too. Good lord what a pathetic performance. :rolleyes:

feardafronfz3
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Come on guys, atleast wait till August to start this ****....

Backus24
07-07-2010, 06:58 PM
You're right. Bama should be embarassed. They only had two runningbacks with 100+ yard games and 2 rushing touchdowns a piece on what was supposed to be the best rush defense in the nation. And the game was only for the national title too. Good lord what a pathetic performance. :rolleyes:

Never said they should be embarrassed.

But considering that in the 4th quarter, Texas was within 3 points was a bit of a surprise.

Especially with a freshman quarterback that threw 4 interceptions, you would have thought the game would have been more in hand.

Honestly, McElroy is lucky he had that team behind him, and a Heisman winning running back, because he threw for like 60 yards with no TDs.

Backus24
07-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Come on guys, atleast wait till August to start this ****....

You kidding brah?

College football is a year-round sport to me, as well as others.

feardafronfz3
07-07-2010, 07:10 PM
You kidding brah?

College football is a year-round sport to me, as well as others.

I know that, but there will be no shortage of SEC vs. other conference threads during college football season, trust me on that one

Backus24
07-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I know that, but there will be no shortage of SEC vs. other conference threads during college football season, trust me on that one

Oh trust me, I know.

It's hard out here for a Big Ten fan

Max~Power
07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Never said they should be embarrassed.

But considering that in the 4th quarter, Texas was within 3 points was a bit of a surprise.

Especially with a freshman quarterback that threw 4 interceptions, you would have thought the game would have been more in hand.

Honestly, McElroy is lucky he had that team behind him, and a Heisman winning running back, because he threw for like 60 yards with no TDs.

Any QB would be lucky to have a team like that, what's your point?