PDA

View Full Version : such thing as just eating?

zinghigh89
07-06-2010, 03:14 PM
When i first started lifting about 4 years ago, a kid i got a lot of advice from told me to "just eat clean". He didn't say to count, keep track of macros or even really time my meals. He was genetically blessed but the only kid i knew at the time who lifted seriously and you could tell by looking at him. For awhile I practiced this method and was much happier not having to worry about calories and macros, i just ate nutritious, clean foods and ate a lot of them. I saw steady gains, but like i said, my mental state was much happier than i am now having to worry about macros etc. I will not be competing anytime soon or ever possibly and my main goal is to slowly get bigger and bigger without becoming the fat big guy at the gym. does anyone practice this? where they just eat good foods and eat a lot of them? I know there really isn't one perfect answer, but just anybody's .02 cents would be perfect

fishscale4sale
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Once you get used to eating only healthy foods, and you basically know how many calories you're taking in, you don't really need to keep track of calories (because you already 'know' roughly what you're eating). So you're friend is right, just eat clean...
If you want to lose weight/gain muscle quicker, then keeping track of caloric/protein intake becomes more important because it will allow you to reach your goals faster.
But for someone who is satisfied with their body, all they really need to do is eat healthy, and not worry so much about macros

zinghigh89
07-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Ok man thanks for the tip. I understand that in the end it comes down to cals in vs. cals out, but i feel if i eat right 90% of the time and train hard, i should be fine. thanks man

moojeni
07-06-2010, 03:33 PM
You should be fine. I did that for about 4 years (from 16 yrs old to 20 yrs old, on and off), and made a good progress.
Now, if you eventually would like to do a really clean bulk or to cut your bf% to less than 10% maybe it would be wise to at least start "guesstimating" your calories intake.

Scooter4
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
This is generally what I tell people... If you aren't happy counting calories, then don't do it. Gains might not be as good as they could be, but you will be happy with what you are doing and that is the main thing.

determined4000
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
This is generally what I tell people... If you aren't happy counting calories, then don't do it. Gains might not be as good as they could be, but you will be happy with what you are doing and that is the main thing.

this
why do you lift--> to get strong-->being stronger/fitter makes you happier
But if you aren't happy doing what you are doing to get there, what is the point exactly?
Maybe you will have the same gains, maybe they will be a little less, but if you are happier with not counting in either case, DONT.