PDA

View Full Version : Max Contract Signings

High_Endurance
07-06-2010, 10:09 AM
What does it mean? Does it mean all those free agent players get all the same money? For example, Wade, Bosh, James, etc, get all the same amount of money for the same amount of years?

Also why did Amare sign already? Wouldn't it be wise to hold out until James signs, much like the NFL Draft, no one in the top 10 really signs until the #1 is signed.

Srs Thread
07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
much like the NFL Draft, no one in the top 10 really signs until the #1 is signed.

my mind was blown trying to comprehend this........... DA FUK U JUST SAY??!

MontelWilliams
07-06-2010, 10:37 AM

he must not watch football

High_Endurance
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM

you must be a retard. if you understand the nfl draft, almost all players who are in the top 10 do not sign or make a contract until the person in front of them signs because than they have an idea of what their contract will be.

for example, if #5 signs a 6 year 500 million dollar contract, #6 knows they can sign a 6 year 400 million dollar contract.

anyways, i just wanted to know what a max contract was, are they all the same meaning all those top players get the same amount, and also why would anyone sign before james because he seems to be the top free agent (like the #1 nfl draft pick)

he must not watch football

yeah, he must be retarded!

thecreed
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
What does it mean? Does it mean all those free agent players get all the same money? For example, Wade, Bosh, James, etc, get all the same amount of money for the same amount of years?

It depends. MAX is determined by the salary cap. It just means that is the most a player can make under the current agreement with the nba. It won't all be the same, depending on number of years (Rudy Gay got a 4 year - $80million max deal, while Amare is getting a 5 year - $100million and joe johnson is getting a 6 year - $119 million). Also depends on whether you sign with your original team or a new team and how many years you've been in the league. Your original team can offer you more money and an extra year (6 years max). you make more money and are guaranteed more years with your original team. This is why some players ask for a sign and trade, where the original team signs them, then trades them. Team gets to trade the player for an asset instead of just losing him in free agency and the player gets to earn more money but still go to another team. win-win.

Also why did Amare sign already? Wouldn't it be wise to hold out until James signs, much like the NFL Draft, no one in the top 10 really signs until the #1 is signed.

No. The rookie signings in the NFL are nothing like free agency in the nba. In the NFL, unless some special deal is struck, the #1 pick makes the most money, #2 makes a bit less, and #3 a bit less than #2 and so on. but that value (although everyone has a sense of it) is not pre-determined. So if some #1 player wants to be a hard ass, he can continue to hold out until he gets whatever money he thinks he deserves. Sometimes this causes everyone else to wait too, because if #1 can get $60 million guaranteed instead of $50 million, thats better for everyone else.

JTrain306
07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
for example, if #5 signs a 6 year 500 million dollar contract

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6418/ednortonlaptopclose.gif

bking10
07-06-2010, 10:49 AM
in short, as already mentioned, the NBA has a pay scale and the NFL does not

Srs Thread
07-06-2010, 10:56 AM
you must be a retard. if you understand the nfl draft, almost all players who are in the top 10 do not sign or make a contract until the person in front of them signs because than they have an idea of what their contract will be.

for example, if #5 signs a 6 year 500 million dollar contract, #6 knows they can sign a 6 year 400 million dollar contract.

anyways, i just wanted to know what a max contract was, are they all the same meaning all those top players get the same amount, and also why would anyone sign before james because he seems to be the top free agent (like the #1 nfl draft pick)

I'm still not sure if you're a troll or if you are really that dumb. Free agents in basketball aren't ranked or drafted, nor does the pay of others make a difference. Aware yourself on the salary cap, hard cap, and luxury tax to better understand the process.

By the way, the number 1 pick in football are usually the first to sign..... oh and strong contract numbers. brb signing a 3 year $873MM contract

thecreed
07-06-2010, 11:04 AM
everything you'd ever want to know about nba salary cap stuff.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

MontelWilliams
07-06-2010, 11:23 AM

http://i46.tinypic.com/foorpu.jpg