PDA

View Full Version : How does one lose weight if they dont buy their own food

musclemachine20
07-06-2010, 01:01 AM
I currently live with my mother who buys the food in own household. She always buys unhealthy foods what can I do to lose weight if all I have to eat are unhealthy foods. I've been trying to cut my weight down but i'm currently stuck at 260 I want to get down to 200 pounds what can I do to lose the extra fat. I go to the gym in the morning and I usually stay around 2 hours should I stay longer. What are some of you guys suggestions

lerider
07-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Eat less, excercise more

Awhat
07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Eat less?
buy your own food, cook your self?
ask maybe if she can buy so and so for you?

mariusjacobsen
07-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Go shopping with her. Tell her that you're really serious about making a change in your life, and that you would appreciate it if she could show her support by buying a few healthy things for you. If you have your own money, you can also buy your own stuff. Eating healthy doesnt have to be expensive if youre smart about it.

iPerfectDark
07-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Go with her and pick up a few things yourself.

Really though, unless she's buying incredibly unhealthy things, it shouldn't be too hard. You could just buy youself some healthy snacks and when she cooks for you just eat less of what she makes and one of your snacks.

I'm talking snacks such as fruits, protein bars/shakes, anything with low calories.

vanwaros
07-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Let anything unhealthy rot in the cupboard. Let her know you'll only be eating clean-- if it isn't clean, then don't eat it. As others said, shop with her.

You mentioned you're spending 1-2 hours at the gym. You -can- spend more time working off the weight, but you don't want to burn yourself out. Focus on losing a solid 2 pounds/week, eating healthier, and in enough time you'll see the weight start to peel off. Rather than focus on quick returns, concentrate on losing the weight and preparing yourself to keep it off long-term.

Gusthebus
07-06-2010, 04:31 AM
I tell my mother what to buy for me. I tell her I need chicken tuna bread turkey u know,, the good stuff. She's always ok with it and I made her eat healthier she doesn't buy as much garbage as she use to. I love my mommy :)

buenos24
07-06-2010, 04:31 AM
i also think if you offer to cook some of the meals for your family you can get her to buy healthier food...pick out something healthy to cook and say that thats what you want to make for your family and have her pick up the ingredients..this worked for me and now my family enjoys healthy food so theres more of it around

budershank
07-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Eat less, excercise more

Really though, unless she's buying incredibly unhealthy things, it shouldn't be too hard.

This pretty much sums it up. Unless her grocery list is 100 percent chocolate cake you shouldn't have any problems losing fat. It's up to you to measure out portions so you can count your calories properly, no matter if it is 'healthy' or 'unhealthy'.

Don't let your mom's cooking become an excuse for you to not lose fat.

BunkMoreland
07-06-2010, 07:09 AM
if push comes to shove, get your own place and start cooking for yourself. it'll be much more difficult to reach your goals with unhealthy foods surrounding you.

PirateFace
07-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Go to the store with her and make sure some of the things going into the cart are healthy. As far as the crap, just leave it in the cupboard for someone else to have.

At some point you're going to be eating the meals that she cooks for you (don't be ungrateful, etc.) but you have more control than you think over what you're eating most of the time. Portion control on the unhealthy meals, and be smart about the rest.

trojanmana
07-06-2010, 07:21 AM
lol i feel your pain man. when i use to live with the parents every meal would be rice meat, pasta meat, tons and tons of carbs, starches and greasy meats.

it shows that you are 21. maybe its time to buy your own food.

TheNewestGuy
07-06-2010, 07:25 AM
lol i feel your pain man. when i use to live with the parents every meal would be rice meat, pasta meat, tons and tons of carbs, starches and greasy meats.

it shows that you are 21. maybe its time to buy your own food.

Eat the meat, limit the starches. Or offer to cook the food.

If you're 21 years old you're not helpless. Most of us bought and prepared our own food by then.

phoenixr2
07-06-2010, 07:39 AM
as someone said eat less, exercise more. You can't blame this on your mom, and no your genetics arent holding you back either. Ask her to buy some better things, or get a job and buy your own food?

sleet83
07-06-2010, 07:47 AM
My shopping list while cutting is:

Oats
Peanut Butter
Whey
1% Milk
Tuna
Beans
Chicken Breast
Wheat Bread
Eggs
Bananas
Apples
Water

You could easily get all of this in bulk at CostCo for a decent price. The only one you have to 'cook' are the chicken breasts. I pre-heat the oven to 375, spray some Pam on a baking tray and let them cook for 20 minutes a side. That's not even really cooking imo....