PDA

View Full Version : Meal for the lazy on a budget

teekay86
07-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I am a first time poster, thought I would give some information back to the site that has helped me so much.

If you are anything like me and lazy when it comes to food prep I thought it would be worthwhile sharing a recent addition to my kitchen

I recently bought this 3 tier steamer from K-Mart. For you Aussies out there it cost me $35.
It’s a great way to cook your food that is almost set and forget style

I got a kilo of chicken breast for $12, a 2KG bag of potatoes ( not sweet I prefer plain washed ) for $4 and some ginger, broccoli and shallots for $3. Bringing the food total to
$19 AUD

Depending on your eating style but I easily get 4 – 6 meals out of this. Which works out to be $3-5 a meal!

I wash the veges, and stack in the order, potatoes at bottom, broccoli in middle and chicken on top.

I season the chicken with salt and pepper and place the ginger underneath the chicken and shallots on top. It’s a good idea to score the breasts if they are too thick to ensure even cooking

I set the steamer to 30 minutes and pretty much walk away. Be mindful of broccoli it needs to come off after 15 minutes and you need to be wary not to oversteam the breasts which can take anywhere between 10 – 15 minutes depending on the thickness

Happy eating!, I know I have been for the past month 