PDA

View Full Version : Indian food-good for you?

adjd
07-05-2010, 04:00 AM
last night i went out and had an indian meal,very good it was too.... BUT did it do me any good? I ate:-
2 poppadoms and pickles
Chicken madras
Keema rice( rice with minced lamb mixed in)
Nan bread

Oh yeah i had,ahem, 2 beers-well it was my birthday!

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 04:11 AM
I am an Indian, Home cooked Indian food is pretty good ( especially since it has no cheese butter etc etc) stuff outside has loads of oil, butter etc etc hence not gr8. But poppadoms arent very bad ( minus the sodium) plus if the food wasnt very oily it should be ok. Stop being worried it was ur birthday lol.

Belated Happy Birthday btw!

adjd
07-05-2010, 04:31 AM
I am an Indian, Home cooked Indian food is pretty good ( especially since it has no cheese butter etc etc) stuff outside has loads of oil, butter etc etc hence not gr8. But poppadoms arent very bad ( minus the sodium) plus if the food wasnt very oily it should be ok. Stop being worried it was ur birthday lol.

Belated Happy Birthday btw!

Cheers fella. I could live on indian food... I love spicy food, couldnt go any hotter than a madras though.

boNie001
07-05-2010, 04:35 AM
hahah i wouldnt taste it sorry but i kinda see alot of indians are big o0?

Sendug
07-05-2010, 04:37 AM
It can be good depending on meal choices just like going to a chinese restaurant and choosing correctly can as well. A lot of the stuff is cooked in butter/oils/creams so probably not the best to be eating if your trying to cut, but once in a while its fine. Like shawtiee said the home-cooked stuff is probably a lot healthier.

Again, like shawtiee said it was your birthday so you had a right to enjoy yourself. ;)

rawrnom
07-05-2010, 04:43 AM
last night i went out and had an indian meal,very good it was too.... BUT did it do me any good? I ate:-
2 poppadoms and pickles
Chicken madras
Nan bread

I read somewhere that poppadoms are better for you than if you were to chose a nan bread, nan bread is like 1000+ calories, poppadoms are like 30 - 50cals per.

oh i just read you did get a nan bread lol erm yeah, not good.

also curry can be 1000+ so with your meal your looking at like 2200+ in that one meal.

adjd
07-05-2010, 04:50 AM
2200 cals?? Wow! Thats ok i am bulking anyway...lol.
maybe i will only eat curry once a week then.;-)

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Cheers fella. I could live on indian food... I love spicy food, couldnt go any hotter than a madras though.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/The-hottest-chillies-in-the-world/Article1-560139.aspx

Like all cuisines " FOOD IS AS HEALTHY AS YOU WANT IT TO BE"

Boiled Potatoes > Fried Chicken.

Not saying Potatoes are unhealthy

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 04:53 AM
I read somewhere that poppadoms are better for you than if you were to chose a nan bread, nan bread is like 1000+ calories, poppadoms are like 30 - 50cals per.

oh i just read you did get a nan bread lol erm yeah, not good.

also curry can be 1000+ so with your meal your looking at like 2200+ in that one meal.

A naan would have close to 300 cals , 1000 is way too much lol. Curry probably yes about 1000 cals. Poppadoms arent calorie dense. U forgot to count the beer lol

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 04:54 AM
2200 cals?? Wow! Thats ok i am bulking anyway...lol.
maybe i will only eat curry once a week then.;-)

Make it at home its quite simple lol Onions tomatoes and chicken yummmmmm

adjd
07-05-2010, 05:00 AM
[QUOTE=shawtiee;514143263]http://www.hindustantimes.com/The-hottest-chillies-in-the-world/Article1-560139.aspx

Very interesting article.
I bought a small bag of Dorset Naga chillies which i think are the same as Bhut Jalokia for my brother, he loves hot food. He only uses a small piece in a chilli con carne and it is soooo hot.
Gotta be carefull with those fellas, you dont want to go to the toilet after handling some thing like that....

Kill-Em-All
07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
The Indian food cooked in takeaways are terrible mate. The oil, butter, cream etc etc

Cook currys yourself at home with tomatoes, onions, spices, chicken breast, rice etc. Package it up, pop in the freezer and heat up whenever you want.

Matt1231231
07-05-2010, 07:10 AM
The Indian food cooked in takeaways are terrible mate. The oil, butter, cream etc etc

Cook currys yourself at home with tomatoes, onions, spices, chicken breast, rice etc. Package it up, pop in the freezer and heat up whenever you want.

Tika massala mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm : )

Sendug
07-05-2010, 07:35 AM
A naan would have close to 300 cals , 1000 is way too much lol. Curry probably yes about 1000 cals. Poppadoms arent calorie dense. U forgot to count the beer lol

A plain naan yeah, but I think Peshwari/Garlic/Butter naans will run in at a much higher calorie count. I do love a peshwari or garlic naan though.

FemmeFatale28
07-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Naan is *not* 1000 calories as said one "loaf" that is usually quartered is more like 300cal. But n-e-ways. Indian food is sooooo delicious but since Ive been cutting when I try to cheat with it, it zaps literally all my energy, I feel sluggish and horrible after eating it sad I say I give up. As much as I *love* it, I do not love how it makes me feel. I think it just may be an "eating out" thing as I never do eat out and when I do I feel horrible, physically.

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=shawtiee;514143263]http://www.hindustantimes.com/The-hottest-chillies-in-the-world/Article1-560139.aspx

Very interesting article.
I bought a small bag of Dorset Naga chillies which i think are the same as Bhut Jalokia for my brother, he loves hot food. He only uses a small piece in a chilli con carne and it is soooo hot.
Gotta be carefull with those fellas, you dont want to go to the toilet after handling some thing like that....

HaHa yes man Jalokia is spicy real spicy.

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Naan is *not* 1000 calories as said one "loaf" that is usually quartered is more like 300cal. But n-e-ways. Indian food is sooooo delicious but since Ive been cutting when I try to cheat with it, it zaps literally all my energy, I feel sluggish and horrible after eating it sad I say I give up. As much as I *love* it, I do not love how it makes me feel. I think it just may be an "eating out" thing as I never do eat out and when I do I feel horrible, physically.

i know what u sayin. I stay away from Indian food when I go out ( I think its the spices lol). I love home made Indian food though. Healthy and delicious

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 08:40 AM

bring it on!!

The_Animal11
07-05-2010, 10:31 AM
as has been said, indian food when you are eating out is not the way to go if you want to stay low fat or low cal. it is cooked with tons of oil, ghee, butter, and cream when you order it from restaurants and take outs, but when made at home it can be one of the healthiest types of cuisines out there. not to mention probably the most flavorful and interesting.

adjd
07-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Tikka massala isnt even an indian dish, it was created in Glasgow of all places. I would say that it has to be the most unhealthy of all the curries,what with all the cream and butter etc.

One other question; is coconut milk bad? I use it all the time in my thai food!It is full of fat!?!

The_Animal11
07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
One other question; is coconut milk bad? I use it all the time in my thai food!It is full of fat!?!

yes it is. thats why it makes things so creamy. but you could just check the label?

they also make reduced fat coconut milk though

shawtiee
07-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Tikka massala isnt even an indian dish, it was created in Glasgow of all places. I would say that it has to be the most unhealthy of all the curries,what with all the cream and butter etc.

I wouldnt use coconut milk in my food. U Can check the nutritional content though cant you

nita999
07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Like others said... opt for making it @ home. If you are making a curry, I'd base the curry with water and tomato paste/crushed tomatoes, then whatever spices instead of full-fat cream. If you want, you could add a bit of half-and-half cream (like a tiny bit) just to thicken it up.

You definitely don't have to use alot of oil/butter, instead use a non-stick pan and just cooking spray when you saute your onions, garlic, ginger, cumin etc.

All that is left is your meat/veggies and spices.

Indian food can be made healthy, but I def don't trust restaurant versions.

shawtiee
07-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Like others said... opt for making it @ home. If you are making a curry, I'd base the curry with water and tomato paste/crushed tomatoes, then whatever spices instead of full-fat cream. If you want, you could add a bit of half-and-half cream (like a tiny bit) just to thicken it up.

You definitely don't have to use alot of oil/butter, instead use a non-stick pan and just cooking spray when you saute your onions, garlic, ginger, cumin etc.

All that is left is your meat/veggies and spices.

Indian food can be made healthy, but I def don't trust restaurant versions.

Can use curd to thicken it too. Why cooking spray though, that aint even good for you

LLoydBanks
07-06-2010, 11:43 AM
I love indian food but i avoid it like the plague, too much oil, ghee, butter, salt... its good if ur dirty bulking.. im on a perma cut / clean bulk.. so i avoid it totally. maximum i would have is tandoori chicken / chicken tikkas without butter.i grill my own chicken at home...

add some fat free yoghurt, ginger garlic paste, pepper, tandoori grill masala / sheekh masala and marinate about 2 lbs of chicken in a big bowl and grill that ****.

sid007
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
2 poppadoms and pickles
Chicken madras
Nan bread

Oh it's over .. your gonna get FAT!!!!

j/k .. consider it a cheat meal b.c honestly it doesn't look that great. especially with the brews

BookMonkey
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I make homemade Indian food all the time. Super healthy and super tasty.

Most people's stereotyped idea that Indian food is unhealthy is usually based on those low quality (not that it is low in taste though) restaurants that dish out stuff loaded in ghee, butter, fat, etc like whats his name said above.

If you make it and want it to be healthy, it is up to you to do so.

nita999
07-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Can use curd to thicken it too. Why cooking spray though, that aint even good for you

I don't mind cooking spray, it just helps me meet my calorie goal... just like I use sweetener, which I know isn't the best for me.

I've cooked Indian dishes with pureed cottage cheese instead of cream as well... turned out pretty good.

gsxtreme1987
07-07-2010, 07:44 AM
http://lmc311.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/butter_chicken_curry3.jpg

This is what i have been eating on my bulk.

I could live off this stuff for rest of my life.

nita999
07-07-2010, 07:55 AM

YUM! I went home this past long weekend, and lived off of my dad's tandoori chicken...! Tooooo good!

desslok
07-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I found a book called something like "healthy Indian Cooking" or something like that in the bargain section of Borders bookstore. I think it was $3.99. Has a lot of good recipes that have easy to substitute ingredients to make a little better. I find its a good way to use healthy spices you may not ordinarily use.

Jayarbie
07-07-2010, 09:31 AM

My god, that's big. Is that a whole oak tree sitting on top?

shawtiee
07-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't mind cooking spray, it just helps me meet my calorie goal... just like I use sweetener, which I know isn't the best for me.

I've cooked Indian dishes with pureed cottage cheese instead of cream as well... turned out pretty good.

I use Ghee love it :p.

PBateman2
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Indian food is the best! Just have it in moderation. No biggie.