PDA

View Full Version : Scoring 20 points a game gets you $20 million a year

feardafronfz3
07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Is anyone else sickened by this?

in b4 misc economists start their supply vs demand debate, im not arguing that at all. i just think that it is absolutely ludicrous for people to make that much money for putting a ball in a hoop

MA5Bergey
07-04-2010, 07:16 PM
The whole 2010 Free Agency makes me sick, tbh. Even garbage players like Drew Gooden are getting massive contracts, and now every player available is expecting GMs to follow suit.... and they are.

chillster84
07-04-2010, 07:17 PM
The lockout needs to come sooner rather than later. It's unbelievable

Docta
07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
He didn't have to score more than that, since the Hawks had other scoring options.

And of course he didn't deserve it, but the Hawks wouldn't get anyone else as good in free agency, and offering a max would guarantee that he would stay.

IllPhill
07-04-2010, 07:25 PM
You mean Joe Johnson DOESNT deserve 20 mil a year after scoring 11 ppg on 25% shooting against the magic?????

feardafronfz3
07-04-2010, 07:29 PM
You mean Joe Johnson DOESNT deserve 20 mil a year after scoring 11 ppg on 25% shooting against the magic?????

wasnt specifically talking about joe johnson, but rather every player in the league

amir johnson (6 points, 5 rebounds)- 5yr/34million
darko (7 points, 5 rebounds)- 4yr/20million

its just appalling how grossly overpaid these athletes are. if it wasnt for the NBA, half of them wouldnt even be able to hold down a job at walmart

cor030
07-04-2010, 07:32 PM
It's sickening that in any sport you get paid like that.

Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see all that money going to the owners who just sit on the money and do nothing, but come on.. Something needs to be done.

Hockey has it right. They get enough money to live a great life and build a savings in case they are injured/after retirement/etc, but not an absurd amount.

IllPhill
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
wasnt specifically talking about joe johnson, but rather every player in the league

its just appalling how grossly overpaid these athletes are. if it wasnt for the NBA, half of them wouldnt even be able to hold down a job at walmart

I know but I think Joe Johnson's contract is probably the worst. Didn't he get booed by his own arena during the Magic series too? And as a result they wanna give him a superstar salary?

HRShoveNStuff
07-04-2010, 08:06 PM
There's no way this contract doesnt come back to bite the Hawks in the ass in six years. JJ won't make them a true contender....just be a playoff team and nothing more for a long time

VTheKing
07-04-2010, 08:24 PM

in b4 misc economists start their supply vs demand debate, im not arguing that at all. i just think that it is absolutely ludicrous for people to make that much money for putting a ball in a hoop

It's not necessarily "ludicrous". If an NBA team doesn't have players who can't put up high scores and/or are not entertaining to watch, TV/live audiences will plummet, sponsors will withdraw, etc. They need people really good at putting balls in a hoop to stay afloat/profit.

I know what you mean; doing stuff with a basketball isn't worth $20 million, theoretically. But neither is being a bunch of old farts attending to thousands of private interests and not giving a **** about anyone else.

Docta
07-04-2010, 08:32 PM

Amir and Darko aren't getting 20 mil a year. Those numbers are the years added up.

feardafronfz3
07-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Amir and Darko aren't getting 20 mil a year. Those numbers are the years added up.

durrrrrr
5 years, 34 million
4 years, 20 million

IllPhill
07-04-2010, 08:40 PM

lmao im speechless

BMatt
07-04-2010, 08:51 PM
The whole 2010 Free Agency makes me sick, tbh. Even garbage players like Drew Gooden are getting massive contracts, and now every player available is expecting GMs to follow suit.... and they are.

How does Drew Gooden have a monster contract? Do you even know the framework of the contract?

Its 5 million for the 1st year, 5 million for the second year, 6 million for the 3rd year, 8 million for the 4th year, and 8 million for the 5th year.

The 4th and 5th year are both club options however.. So say the Bucks keep him for 3 years, then decide to go a different route. Thats 3 years for 16 million. I'll take that.

poppa_boner
07-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Drew Gooden's contract wasnt bad to be honest for his play...

Besides the most overrated contract in the NBA (Joe Johnon)...Amir Johnsons contract was a great laugh, 5 year 34 million

I_dunno_LOL
07-04-2010, 09:00 PM
in b4 lockout

bigcc
07-04-2010, 09:07 PM

they are the best in the world at what they do, and it is a very small group of people that can perform such accolades.

if you are arguing that putting a ball in a hoop shouldn't earn such money then you are arguing that someone who does any form of entertainment doesn't deserve such money

Sandbrah
07-04-2010, 09:35 PM
brb kicking ball around, getting paid millions of euros. brb hitting puck with stick for millions. brb hitting ball with bat and catching it for millions. wtf is the point of anything then?

Tony_S
07-04-2010, 10:24 PM
if everyone stopped watching the NBA then all these guys would have to get jobs at mcdonalds

feardafronfz3
07-04-2010, 10:54 PM
if everyone stopped watching the NBA then all these guys would have to get jobs at mcdonalds

mcdonalds wouldnt even hire some of them....

RickRoss
07-04-2010, 11:07 PM

If it wasn't for a wealthy daddy, most kids posting in the misc wouldn't be able to hold down a paper route

3000RT
07-04-2010, 11:38 PM
they get max contracts because they know they arent going far in the playoffs

thacalikid911
07-04-2010, 11:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see all that money going to the owners who just sit on the money and do nothing, but come on.. Something needs to be done.

Hockey has it right. They get enough money to live a great life and build a savings in case they are injured/after retirement/etc, but not an absurd amount.

Ok then go out and become better basketball players then them. The owner is willing to pay it. gtfo.

Ol Dirty Scrapper
07-04-2010, 11:49 PM
it is absolutely ludicrous for people to make that much money for putting a ball in a hoop

WTF?

How do feel about baseball?

Football?

Soccer?

Golfing?

Why u gotta talk sh!t about just basketball?

Fukcing driving around in circles will make u a millionaire.

Sh!t, playing poker makes u a millionaire.

Yes i am temtped to neg...

thacalikid911
07-04-2010, 11:54 PM
ludicrous for people to make that much money for putting a ball in a hoop

lmao @ this clown.

Go out and become better at putting a ball in a hop then joe johnson if your so mad at him. We should also limit the income of celebrities because they are getting $$$$ for just being themselves. gtfo. The owners are willing to pay it, if you don't like it go to a communist country.

nT0OqHr3wHQ

feardafronfz3
07-05-2010, 12:01 AM
lmao @ this clown.

Go out and become better at putting a ball in a hop then joe johnson if your so mad at him. We should also limit the income of celebrities because they are getting $$$$ for just being themselves. gtfo. The owners are willing to pay it, if you don't like it go to a communist country.

nT0OqHr3wHQ

urineidiot
owners arent going to be willing to pay that much money for much longer, as 25-27 of the NBA teams are LOSING money. once the CBA expires in 2011, there will most definitely be a lockout as owners will not continue to pay the ridiculous salaries while losing money themselves. do you realize NBA teams are losing money?

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/02/14/stern-nba-teams-losing-400-million-salaries-must-be-cut/

kooldude
07-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Like what? The money will either go to the owners or the players.

Hockey has a much larger roster so the money is more distributed and no one cares about hockey in America. If it was more popular, you'll see alot more higher contracts.

feardafronfz3
07-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Average Salary by sport:

MLB: 3.1 million
NFL: $770,000
NHL 2.2 million
NBA: 5.85 million

Fastforward7
07-05-2010, 12:35 AM
they are the best in the world at what they do, and it is a very small group of people that can perform such accolades.

if you are arguing that putting a ball in a hoop shouldn't earn such money then you are arguing that someone who does any form of entertainment doesn't deserve such money

Jesus Christ man, stop trying to sound smart and go read a book. Using words that you don't understand the meaning of only makes you sound foolish.

feardafronfz3
07-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Jesus Christ man, stop trying to sound smart and go read a book. Using words that you don't understand the meaning of only makes you sound foolish.

"can perform such accolades" lmfao!

BrawnySwoleman
07-05-2010, 01:13 AM
Average Salary by sport:

MLB: 3.1 million
NFL: $770,000
NHL 2.2 million
NBA: 5.85 million

NBA teams have 12-15 players

MLB teams have 25

NFL teams have around 52
NHL-I dunno lol

Less players to spread the money around to means more for each player.

VTheKing
07-05-2010, 01:55 AM
NBA teams have 12-15 players

MLB teams have 25

NFL teams have around 52
NHL-I dunno lol

Less players to spread the money around to means more for each player.

NHL teams are usually 25-30ish

Jmurphz33
07-05-2010, 06:47 AM
"can perform such accolades" lmfao!

I laffed IRL...

SgSpartan
07-05-2010, 10:23 AM
mcdonalds wouldnt even hire some of them....

Like Ron Artest...but he probably could land a job as a bouncer.

neilsabo
07-05-2010, 10:42 AM
so much fail from NBA GMs this offseason

there are 2 guys that deserve max contracts: lebron and d wade... and maybe dirk too

nobody else this offseason is worth anything more than like 10 mill/year, and that's being generous

IllumX
07-05-2010, 10:54 AM
brb kicking ball around, getting paid millions of euros. brb hitting puck with stick for millions. brb hitting ball with bat and catching it for millions. wtf is the point of anything then?

lol @ people who hate on how much athletes get paid. Maybe if you were good enough to be a professional athlete you'd get paid that much also.

Only problem I have is some of the players are being overpaid in relation to their production on the court (drew gooden)

Greg1983
07-05-2010, 10:55 AM
so much fail from NBA GMs this offseason

there are 2 guys that deserve max contracts: lebron and d wade... and maybe dirk too

nobody else this offseason is worth anything more than like 10 mill/year, and that's being generous

Oh yeah? Where do you get that number from?

Sandbrah
07-05-2010, 11:12 AM
lol @ people who hate on how much athletes get paid. Maybe if you were good enough to be a professional athlete you'd get paid that much also.

Only problem I have is some of the players are being overpaid in relation to their production on the court (drew gooden)

dunno if you missed my point.......or you just worded ur response differently......but I was making fun of OP