PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 most underrated current NBA players?

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Who are yours?
For me it has to be,
1) Darren Collison (kid is prob the second best pure pg of the last draft, behind only Steph Curry. btw I don't consider tyreke a pure pg, he'll prob end up being a sg or maybe even a sf eventually. put up CP3-type numbers when paul was out and looks like a future all star pg)
2) Andrew Bogut - he's evolved into one of the top big men in the game, def should've made the all star team last year
3) David Lee - New York doesn't know what they're about to lose. He averaged 20 and 12 last year with no other frontcourt help. He would flourish with a guy like Noah behind him in Chicago.
4) Deron Williams - only been selected to 1 all star team so far?! Is probably the best pg in the game now, given Paul's recent injury history plus given the fact that Deron's team has advanced farther in he playoffs more consistently that CP3's.
5) Gerald Wallace - absolute studhorse defensively and is a great slasher/athletic frontcourt player. I bet Sacramento wishes they still had him.

21Classic
07-03-2010, 11:04 PM
David lee isnt underrated

guys gonna pull 80+ million somewhere

maybe his lack of color (oooh no racist) makes him overlooked, but guys a stud no doubt

jump_man23
07-03-2010, 11:07 PM
brandon roy

BMatt
07-03-2010, 11:07 PM
John Salmons

BMatt
07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Who are yours?
For me it has to be,
1) Darren Collison (kid is prob the second best pure pg of the last draft, behind only Steph Curry. btw I don't consider tyreke a pure pg, he'll prob end up being a sg or maybe even a sf eventually. put up CP3-type numbers when paul was out and looks like a future all star pg)
2) Andrew Bogut - he's evolved into one of the top big men in the game, def should've made the all star team last year
3) David Lee - New York doesn't know what they're about to lose. He averaged 20 and 12 last year with no other frontcourt help. He would flourish with a guy like Noah behind him in Chicago.
4) Deron Williams - only been selected to 1 all star team so far?! Is probably the best pg in the game now, given Paul's recent injury history plus given the fact that Deron's team has advanced farther in he playoffs more consistently that CP3's.
5) Gerald Wallace - absolute studhorse defensively and is a great slasher/athletic frontcourt player. I bet Sacramento wishes they still had him.

How is Brandon Jennings not a pure PG?

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:10 PM
How is Brandon Jennings not a pure PG?

i love brandon jennings, and yes he is a great leader but i think he is somewhat overrated nowadays because of his 55 point breakout game against golden state. if you look at his shooting numbers after the first couple months they absolutely plummeted; he became one of the worst shooters in the league. he did a great job leading them to the playoffs but IMO i see more promise in darren collison, who was shackled playing at UCLA under howland who has had plenty of players that didnt put up great stats there but have tremendous nba futures (westbrook/jrue holiday/collison).

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:12 PM
David lee isnt underrated

guys gonna pull 80+ million somewhere

maybe his lack of color (oooh no racist) makes him overlooked, but guys a stud no doubt

Players are making bank all over the place this summer though. Darko got frikin 4 yrs/20million and AMIR JOHNSON, who i'll admit has a lot of potential still, got 5 years/34 mil and the raptors already drafted ed davis PLUS amir has one of the worst foul rates in the nba. And also david lee isn't appreciated enough by knicks fans IMO...i'd rather have lee than amare because lee can at least grab a freaking rebound.

BMatt
07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
i love brandon jennings, and yes he is a great leader but i think he is somewhat overrated nowadays because of his 55 point breakout game against golden state. if you look at his shooting numbers after the first couple months they absolutely plummeted; he became one of the worst shooters in the league. he did a great job leading them to the playoffs but IMO i see more promise in darren collison, who was shackled playing at UCLA under howland who has had plenty of players that didnt put up great stats there but have tremendous nba futures (westbrook/jrue holiday/collison).

Yeah Brandon Jennings came on strong.. but I agree, he definately hit the rookie wall, and hard.

But even with that.. he lead his team to the playoffs. And if the Bucks had Bogut, we would have won a playoff series too.

I think Jennings is more of a pure PG than Curry too.

TexasHeat
07-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Dirk is #1

Its laughable people think Amare and Bosh are better than him.

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah Brandon Jennings came on strong.. but I agree, he definately hit the rookie wall, and hard.

But even with that.. he lead his team to the playoffs. And if the Bucks had Bogut, we would have won a playoff series too.

I think Jennings is more of a pure PG than Curry too.

Yeah it was a shame Bogut got hurt... def would've beaten atlanta then I think they could've upset the magic if they had him. What do you think of their flurry of recent activities? Maggette is really good but they just re-upped salmons...aren't they both basically one-dimensional, high volume scorers? Btw i liked the gooden signing, kind of overpaid but not too badly and he will be great for them.

IllPhill
07-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Uh...if he had an actually center to play with of course he wouldn't average those numbers...

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Dirk is #1

Yeah people say he chokes but he always puts up big numbers still and has made plenty of clutch shots...it's more so that the team around him is not as good as people think it is.

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Uh...if he had an actually center to play with of course he wouldn't average those numbers...

I know that but he is still one of the most skilled big men in the league...has a great midrange game and can post up/rebound with intensity. Just saying he'd be great with a defensive center paired with him because then he'd have even more energy on the offensive end.

BMatt
07-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Yeah it was a shame Bogut got hurt... def would've beaten atlanta then I think they could've upset the magic if they had him. What do you think of their flurry of recent activities? Maggette is really good but they just re-upped salmons...aren't they both basically one-dimensional, high volume scorers? Btw i liked the gooden signing, kind of overpaid but not too badly and he will be great for them.

Umm I like their moves recently.. especially resigning John Salmons. We were 22-8 after picking up Salmons last year. Bogut was openly campaigning for us to resign him as well.

The the only thing that bothers me is our lack of a backup PG. And now with the signing of John Salmons, we are at the salary cap, and will just miss the luxury tax. We are gonna really miss Luke Ridnour, who is now a free agent, he was a solid backup. So there is a big need there.

And I like the trade for Maggette.. he can get to the line, which the Bucks sorely need. Hes also good for right around 20 a game. We won't have a problem scoring the ball next year thats for sure.. Loved the trade for Chris Douglas Roberts too. Our wing play will be drastically improved over last year.

ChillNoWork
07-03-2010, 11:25 PM
#1 - Kobe
#2 - Dirk
#3 - Danny Granger
#4 - Gerald Wallace
#5 - GALLINARI! (jk, didn't know who else)

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:27 PM
#1 - Kobe
#2 - Dirk
#3 - Danny Granger
#4 - Gerald Wallace
#5 - GALLINARI! (jk, didn't know who else)

lol @ kobe, c'mon he just won back to back finals... and yeah i forgot about granger and gallinari def is gonna catch a lot of people by surprise in the next couple years

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Umm I like their moves recently.. especially resigning John Salmons. We were 22-8 after picking up Salmons last year. Bogut was openly campaigning for us to resign him as well.

The the only thing that bothers me is our lack of a backup PG. And now with the signing of John Salmons, we are at the salary cap, and will just miss the luxury tax. We are gonna really miss Luke Ridnour, who is now a free agent, he was a solid backup. So there is a big need there.

And I like the trade for Maggette.. he can get to the line, which the Bucks sorely need. Hes also good for right around 20 a game. We won't have a problem scoring the ball next year thats for sure.. Loved the trade for Chris Douglas Roberts too. Our wing play will be drastically improved over last year.

Yeah i forgot how good maggette is at getting FT's...he is prob the strongest looking guy in the league outside of LBJ/dwight. CDR is beast too yeah he's gonna be good for them. I also forgot to mention Mbah a Moute, he's def underrated. If he ever gets a 3 point shot, he's the next Bruce Bowen.

BMatt
07-03-2010, 11:29 PM
And as far as the Drew Gooden signing goes.. don't let the numbers fool you.

I saw some of the framework of the contract.. and it breaks down quite well for the Bucks.

Its 5 million for the first year, 5 million for the second year, 6 million for the third year, 8 million for the 4th year, and 8 million for the 5th and final year.

The thing is, the 4th and 5th years are team options by the Bucks. And assuming we don't pickup the option, it will most likely work out to a 3 year, 16 million dollar contract.

bal1er
07-03-2010, 11:32 PM
chris kaman
al horford
carl landry
brook lopez
granger (simply don't hear about dude enough for the numbers he puts up)

neelyboy
07-03-2010, 11:36 PM
chris kaman
al horford
carl landry
brook lopez
granger (simply don't hear about dude enough for the numbers he puts up)

great list. lopez is a legit stud and landry/kaman are great players also.

JasonReBourne
07-03-2010, 11:49 PM

the 1 allstar is bad, but c'mon man, deron williams is not underrated.

my list:

1 - Danny Granger (dude will be an All-NBA player very soon, if not next yr)
2- Josh Smith (how was he not an allstar this yr)
3- Andrew Bogut (2nd best center in the EC, no b lopez isn't better)
4 - Paul Millsap (will he finally get to be the man in utah next yr?)
5 - Jason Richardson (almost singlehandedly carried the Suns in the playoffs when amare was choking--again)
6 - Stephon Curry (rookie with hype or else would be higher, he'll be the best rookie out of this class, curry > evans or griffin)

neelyboy
07-04-2010, 12:04 AM
the 1 allstar is bad, but c'mon man, deron williams is not underrated.

my list:

1 - Danny Granger (dude will be an All-NBA player very soon, if not next yr)
2- Josh Smith (how was he not an allstar this yr)
3- Andrew Bogut (2nd best center in the EC, no b lopez isn't better)
4 - Paul Millsap (will he finally get to be the man in utah next yr?)
5 - Jason Richardson (almost singlehandedly carried the Suns in the playoffs when amare was choking--again)
6 - Stephon Curry (rookie with hype or else would be higher, he'll be the best rookie out of this class, curry > evans or griffin)

true i just think a lot of people sleep on deron since he's not the most flashy pg and he's out in utah. and yeah jrich is a beast, the suns are my team and when he got 20 pts or more the suns were practically unbeatable. steph is one of my fav players in the nba. i remember during the draft the suns almost got anthony randolph/biedrins AND the 7th pick, but unfortunately curry fell to the warriors and the trade didn't happen. would've been amazing.

N.W.A
07-04-2010, 12:10 AM

You clearly dont follow the NBA.

21Classic
07-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Steve Nash

very srs

regardless of his 2 MVPs, the guy isnt viewed like lebron is.

but i tell you what, hes the peyton manning of the NBA. he makes everyone around him a superstar

example: Wherever Amare signs. dudes gonna be dogshiit without nash feeding him points

Coconut187
07-04-2010, 12:15 AM
1. Gerald Wallace
2. Andre Iguodala
3. Josh Smith
4. Brandon Roy
5. Danny Granger

evilsteve02
07-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Who are yours?
For me it has to be,

david lee isn't going to do **** if he goes to a good team next year, he just played with a bunch of losers in NY so he had to take all the shots.

but deron williams....he is so ****ing underrated it is sick, rondo...no, steve nash, no ...i'd take deron william over those 2 any day of the week he is "da-truth"

evilsteve02
07-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Steve Nash

very srs

regardless of his 2 MVPs, the guy isnt viewed like lebron is.

but i tell you what, hes the peyton manning of the NBA. he makes everyone around him a superstar

example: Wherever Amare signs. dudes gonna be dogshiit without nash feeding him points

i don't think steve nash is underrated, but he isn't viewed like lebron becuase nash is white

BanWagon
07-05-2010, 03:23 PM
david lee isn't going to do **** if he goes to a good team next year, he just played with a bunch of losers in NY so he had to take all the shots.

but deron williams....he is so ****ing underrated it is sick, rondo...no, steve nash, no ...i'd take deron william over those 2 any day of the week he is "da-truth"

Agree fully on David Lee. I love how people give no credit to any of the Warriors' players and then treat David Lee like a future all-star.

Pauly-Walnuts
07-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Good list guys, I'd like to add to the mix JJ Hickson, not enough minutes, that should change this year hopefully with Z and Shaq most likely gone. Put up good #'s for a 2'nd year man:

In 20 minutes he got 8.5 pts per
5 boards
Shot 55%

Needs to work on FT's , as does the entire team to be honest. I think if he gets regualr minute and gets used RIGHT he'll be better.

jkeithc82
07-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Luis Scola.

NoS_oUtLaSt
07-05-2010, 03:39 PM
brandon roy
zach randolph

evilsteve02
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Good list guys, I'd like to add to the mix JJ Hickson, not enough minutes, that should change this year hopefully with Z and Shaq most likely gone. Put up good #'s for a 2'nd year man:

In 20 minutes he got 8.5 pts per
5 boards
Shot 55%

Needs to work on FT's , as does the entire team to be honest. I think if he gets regualr minute and gets used RIGHT he'll be better.

Hickson and lebron worked together so damn well in the regular season when Lebron (not mike ****ing brown) would run a uptempo offense...it's gonna suck if he leaves becuase hickson could turn into a number 2 if he figures out how to not **** up on D. He has a good jumper, horrible free throw shooter (but that is half the NBA, at the least), hits the glass hard.

But yeah, Shaq and Z are gone...as soon as Byron Scott got hired me and my buddy looked at eachother and went "haha, Shaq's gone" lol. With or w/o James he is done. and Z is slow too so that won't fly either.

neelyboy
07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Hickson and lebron worked together so damn well in the regular season when Lebron (not mike ****ing brown) would run a uptempo offense...it's gonna suck if he leaves becuase hickson could turn into a number 2 if he figures out how to not **** up on D. He has a good jumper, horrible free throw shooter (but that is half the NBA, at the least), hits the glass hard.

But yeah, Shaq and Z are gone...as soon as Byron Scott got hired me and my buddy looked at eachother and went "haha, Shaq's gone" lol. With or w/o James he is done. and Z is slow too so that won't fly either.

bosh in cleveland would be INSANE.

poppa_boner
07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
a real list....

PG: Raymond Felton/Will Bynum/Baron Davis (guy can still ball)
SG: Rodney Stuckey/Shane Battier/Kirk Hinrich
SF: Ronnie Brewer/Jeff Green/Omri Casspi
PF: Ersan Ilyasova/Carl Landry/Gerald Wallace
C: Brook Lopez/Marcin Gortat/Brendan Haywood

neelyboy
07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
a real list....

PG: Raymond Felton/Will Bynum/Baron Davis (guy can still ball)
SG: Rodney Stuckey/Shane Battier/Kirk Hinrich
SF: Ronnie Brewer/Jeff Green/Omri Casspi
PF: Ersan Ilyasova/Carl Landry/Gerald Wallace
C: Brook Lopez/Marcin Gortat/Brendan Haywood

true i think raymond is def underappreciated...stuckey imo is not that great but he still has the potential to grow. brewer is extremely underrated. if he develops a better jump-shot he could be a very good starter. landry is an absolute beast and brook lopez is the only reason the nets are considered as a free agent destination. imagine if charlotte took brook instead of augustin, they'd be a force.

PerfectFormForever
07-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Rodney Stuckey, Jason Richardson, Brandon Roy.

PHX04
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
soon to be Hakim Warrent. playing the Steve nash.. he will be most improved player..

Coconut187
07-07-2010, 01:01 AM
soon to be Hakim Warrent. playing the Steve nash.. he will be most improved player..

who?

3000RT
07-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Monta Ellis(not many realize he got 6th in ppg and 2nd in steals)
Marc Gasol

leafs43
07-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Joakim Noah

Underrated in the goofy looking department too.

Docta
07-07-2010, 02:14 AM
Ellis and Granger.

FryDude
07-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Stephan Jackson
Roddy Beaubois

Poppa came up with a pretty conclusive list except I don't exactly agree with Felton as being underrated.

_Translucency
07-07-2010, 05:23 AM
As a Nets fan, I am jaded - Brook Lopez gets no love, though. Danny Granger is another huge one - just doesn't get the love he deserves.

brook lopez is the only reason the nets are considered as a free agent destination.

This statement is far from true. There are quite a bit of factors including players like Devin Harris and good young talent such as Derrick Favors, Damion James, Terrence Williams, and Courtney Lee, the money, the ownership (Jay-Z being one of them), the relocation to Brooklyn, Avery Johnson, and the potential to be a Playoff team without any additions (note they play in the East).

kenonator
07-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Roy Hibbert

FryDude
07-07-2010, 06:15 AM
Roy Hibbert

No... his poor rebounding/foul trouble are actual problems for a a guy in a 7 foot frame.

Greg1983
07-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Dirk is #1

You're an idiot. Everyone knows Dirk is better than those two. Just in an offseason with 5-6 year contracts being thrown around, the 32 year old doesn't get as much attention.

Aren't you a Lakers fan anyways? Oh I guess not!

IraHays
07-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Lebron
Wade
Koby
Nash
Jordan

HabitualOffenda
07-07-2010, 08:24 AM
The Pistons backcourt is really underrated..Rodney Stuckey can take the ball to the rack at will and Will Bynum is just as explosive..Stuckey should be playing at the 2 spot instead of 1 because he really is a scoring pg at this point in his career..but with the pistons landing Greg Monroe a true big man.. im sure he'll start passing more and the league will begin to notice his star potential.

wish4aswish
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
salmons and james posey

bustermac
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Danny Granger
Luol Deng
David Lee
Troy Murphy

BIRDMAN

neelyboy
07-07-2010, 04:56 PM
As a Nets fan, I am jaded - Brook Lopez gets no love, though. Danny Granger is another huge one - just doesn't get the love he deserves.

This statement is far from true. There are quite a bit of factors including players like Devin Harris and good young talent such as Derrick Favors, Damion James, Terrence Williams, and Courtney Lee, the money, the ownership (Jay-Z being one of them), the relocation to Brooklyn, Avery Johnson, and the potential to be a Playoff team without any additions (note they play in the East).

devin harris dropped off considerably from the year before, favors is still a huge unknown, terrence williams is going to be really good (still has no jumpshot though), lee is alright,but come on...brook lopez, a legit center, is a real reason for a free agent to go to NJ (as far as on-the-court personel wise). i know prokhorov/brooklyn move are huge but as far as actual players currently on the roster, lopez is the key.

BMatt
07-07-2010, 05:34 PM
All homerism aside..

John Salmons

atao16
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM
1. Gerald Wallace
2. Andre Iguodala
3. Josh Smith
4. Brandon Roy
5. Danny Granger

minus josh smith your list is basically best players on ****ty teams

neelyboy
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM

portland is a really good team...especially when their team is healthy. btw i wanted to add JJ redick, he's improved his defense tremendously and has been better than carter on the magic.

Sean_A_Nitro
07-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Aaron Brooks
John Salmons
Wilson Chandler
Udonis Haslem
Jrue Holiday

Max~Power
07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Tayshaun Prince (He has a Gold metal and people forget)

Also on the Brook Lopez posts, that dudes stats (along with Marcus Cambey) carried me staight to a Fantasy basketball title in a super active league.

STA1011
07-10-2010, 06:45 PM
1. Gerald Wallace
2. Andre Iguodala
3. Josh Smith
4. Brandon Roy
5. Danny Granger

Iggy is not underrated. Considering how much he makes and how little he produces compared to that contract makes him unable to be called "underrated"

Coconut187
07-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Roy, Wallace and Smith play on playoff teams, how are they considered ****ty?