PDA

View Full Version : Is Brock good or bad for MMA?

B.O.L.A.
07-03-2010, 10:44 PM
discuss

giraffinator
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
brock is bringing alot of people from the WWE who just want to go at it with UFC fanboys

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

DavidJr74
07-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Good- guy is entertaining. So exciting when he wins.

calibrah2010
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
bad cause i cant take a sport seriously when i dude from the wwe(fake ****) is dominating.

CobyWan
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm not a Brock fan but he's good for MMA.

It helps the sport when there are teams/individuals everybody either loves or loves to hate.

Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc.

Plus you have to give him credit as a deserving champion at the moment.

realistromeo
07-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Brock is good for the heavyweight division, now everyone will be watching his next few fights to see if he will get knocked out or dethroned.

Bobby Lashley might be on the radar in a year or so.. thats a great fight...HELL MAYBE THE ROCK WILL COME BACK.. TO MMA! IF YAAA SMELELELLEELELEELL! what the rock........is cookin!

its entertaining but to some it might undermine the credibility of the sport of mma

you think vince mcmahon will try an extreme version of this sport of MMA? COULD IT WORK?

Tyler44
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
he has pushed me away from UFC a good bit.

jump_man23
07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
good, got me to watch the fight tonight. 9/10 times i dont care about ufc what so ever

leafs43
07-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Good.

More fans mean more exposure mean more credibility mean in the long run a better sport.

If you think a good sport is something that only cult fans follow without it hitting the mainstream to bring in competition because you want to maintain the "old school ideal", you're f*cking retarded.

KingCanuck
07-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Good.

CCAurora
07-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Randy and Chuck kept it alive when it was "underground." Brock will be the face of the company as it becomes a top-tier sport. They just need to find a legit rival for him.

leafs43
07-03-2010, 10:59 PM
They just need to find a legit rival for him.

I think that is the hardest part.

I mean Lesnar is a freak. He took the best of UFC and went, "lol, that's the best you got?"

21Classic
07-03-2010, 11:00 PM
The guy wouldnt be such a stank turd if he showed some class every once in awhile

look at tonights post fight. Brock shook Carwins hand. ****ing sportsmanship, its not a hard concept

if he did it a little more often Brock would be very entertaining and welcome in the UFC.

instead, hes an ******* who blankets guys with his ridiculous bulk

Drakeo
07-03-2010, 11:03 PM
The guy wouldnt be suck a stank turd if he showed some class every once in awhile

look at tonights post fight. Brock shook Carwins hand. ****ing sportsmanship, its not a hard concept

if he did it a little more often Brock would be very entertaining and welcome in the UFC.

instead, hes an ******* who blankets guys with his ridiculous bulk

Chris Leben has the worst sportsmanship in MMA. Lesnar has been programmed to sell PPV tickets from WWE.

21Classic
07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Randy and Chuck kept it alive when it was "underground." Brock will be the face of the company as it becomes a top-tier sport. They just need to find a legit rival for him.

Shane Carwin?

WTF, yes brock won but are we gonna pretend like Carwin didnt beat the living piss out of Brock?

Carwin + cardio = win everytime and lettuce not act like thats not true.
jeez

Chris Leben has the worst sportsmanship in MMA. Lesnar has been programmed to sell PPV tickets from WWE.

this isnt a 'whos the biggest a hole' contest

its just Brock is the most viewable *******, for being the champion

and i understand alot of his persona comes from his wwe acting days. cutting promos

but at some point you gotta shut that off and become brock from the fking farm again. at this point i think we can say Brocks douchebaggery is purely brock lesnars personality

namean
07-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Brock is a monster. I love heavyweights. I hate the lightweight fighters who go 3-5 rounds and knowing that neither guy could potentially die in the ring.

Brock is Great for anything

LiftHeavy85
07-03-2010, 11:40 PM
I would say bad because he seriously only has a few years of MMA training and is a world champ...he looks sloppy in everything he does.

Just goes to show that size and power will take you pretty far

Heavyweights really do need more competition

I do enjoy watching him fight though

JasonReBourne
07-03-2010, 11:41 PM
he attracts the casual sports fan who just wants to watch it so he can say "hey guys you see the fight, lesnar was a beast!" at the office water cooler.

so in that sense--strictly speaking about money and increasing numbers--he's good for mma.

LiftHeavy85
07-03-2010, 11:44 PM
he attracts the casual sports fan who just wants to watch it so he can say "hey guys you see the fight, lesnar was a beast!" at the office water cooler.

so in that sense--strictly speaking about money and increasing numbers--he's good for mma.

true he is good for mma because im sure his hype is also bringing in new students to alot of different schools. I just think he is so sloppy when it comes to the sport that he shouldnt be champion.

21Classic
07-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Whats going on here guise?

http://www.fansofk1.com/uploads/articles/1737/Overeem.png

ahh, only if

:(

Ubereem dwarfs Lesnar and Carwin

Mata Leao
07-03-2010, 11:54 PM
i dunno i hate the ****ing idiot but im guessing its good... alot more fans from wwgay.... and it shows what u can do when u train ur heart out....plus his giving bjj a good name so im in.. but i still want someone to destroy him... that first round make me feel like i was in heaven... everyone at the bar was going ape****

also lesnar is got some of the best wrestling credentials in the sport.... so i mean grappling is a huge part of mma... to be that good at wrestling is gonna make waves in mma..... lets be honest from day 1 grappling has dominated the ufc... now chestnar is winning by subs so it shows that the work with comprido is been paying off and his hands will only get better.... only thing bad about it its that his from wwe... and i dont like the whole idea of our sport getting related to wwgay.... other then that its cool guy works hard and its 1 of a kind.

rainieravesouth
07-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Brock is good for the heavyweight division, now everyone will be watching his next few fights to see if he will get knocked out or dethroned.

Bobby Lashley might be on the radar in a year or so.. thats a great fight...HELL MAYBE THE ROCK WILL COME BACK.. TO MMA! IF YAAA SMELELELLEELELEELL! what the rock........is cookin!

its entertaining but to some it might undermine the credibility of the sport of mma

you think vince mcmahon will try an extreme version of this sport of MMA? COULD IT WORK?

The Rock was my favorite wrestler but that foo was scared to get hurt. whenever he got german suplexed, side suplexed, etc he would cover the back of his head to protect it haha
dude is a full fledged actor now. why would he go to MMA?

in b4 i cant take a joke or sense sarcasm.

JasonReBourne
07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
true he is good for mma because im sure his hype is also bringing in new students to alot of different schools. I just think he is so sloppy when it comes to the sport that he shouldnt be champion.

i can see both sides of the argument. that's why i put in the qualifier "if we're strictly speaking about money and numbers" he's good for the game.

but i completley agree, it is bad for mma that brock is the champ with such an unpolished game and the fact that he's beating the guys considered the "best in the business" only after a couple years of serious training.

i'm still hoping for fedor v. lesnar (in my dreams).

21Classic
07-03-2010, 11:56 PM
I dont give a shiit if Dana has to give overeem Lebrons contract, this dude in the HW division would be tits
http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/post-images/alistair_overeem_k-1.jpg

SteezeFactory
07-04-2010, 12:01 AM
I dont give a shiit if Dana has to give overeem Lebrons contract, this dude in the HW division would be tits
*Neanderthal picture*

Homeboy better work on his take down defense because Lesnar would make him his bitch on the ground. Lesnar's wrestling talent is beyond elite. Alistair's stand up/kickboxing is completely savage though, it'd be an interesting fight. Sooner or later he will be in the UFC.

21Classic
07-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Homeboy better work on his take down defense because Lesnar would make him his bitch on the ground. Lesnar's wrestling talent is beyond elite. Alistair's stand up/kickboxing is completely savage though, it'd be an interesting fight. Sooner or later he will be in the UFC.

Carwin proved big guys can handle Brock

everyone he beat was smaller. Randy, mir, homohorse

yeah, overeems standup would be devastating. FAR superior to Carwin and we saw what carwins standup did

just stop the takedown, and being 6'5 i think he could develop a wicked sprawl.

i doubt 'someday soon' guys fighting for the championship in strikeforce

SteezeFactory
07-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Carwin proved big guys can handle Brock

everyone he beat was smaller. Randy, mir, homohorse

yeah, overeems standup would be devastating. FAR superior to Carwin and we saw what carwins standup did

just stop the takedown, and being 6'5 i think he could develop a wicked sprawl.

i doubt 'someday soon' guys fighting for the championship in strikeforce

Carwin didn't prove 'big guys' can handle Brock he just proved that fighters with great standup will give him issues. Carwin's probably got the best striking of all the top HW's right now, Brock handled his ass on the ground and Carwin was a division 2 champ. Granted there's a big step up between D2 and D1, but it's not like he didn't have a wrestling background. I really doubt Alistair could keep brock from getting him on the ground, Cain Velasquez is next in line and has great wrestling (A-State alum) so we will see how he fairs.

LiftHeavy85
07-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Carwin didn't prove 'big guys' can handle Brock he just proved that fighters with great standup will give him issues. Carwin's probably got the best striking of all the top HW's right now, Brock handled his ass on the ground and Carwin was a division 2 champ. Granted there's a big step up between D2 and D1, but it's not like he didn't have a wrestling background. I really doubt Alistair could keep brock from getting him on the ground, Cain Velasquez is next in line and has great wrestling (A-State alum) so we will see how he fairs.

carwin got taken to the ground because he was so gassed from throwing those haymakers in the first. Look at the takedown he faked a punch and tackles the guy lol.

he prevented a couple takedowns at the beginning of the round but looked completely drained by the 2nd.

If he gets his conditioning up he will be hard to stop.

21Classic
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM

Brock 'handled his ass' on the ground in the 2nd when Carwin was gassed

what about 3 full minutes in the 1st when Brock was on his back in the rolli polli position?

D1 all the way

NoobThumper
07-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Anyone who seriously brings up his history in the WWE and claims that MMA sucks because its being dominated by a guy who professionally wrestled SERIOUSLY needs to take a closer look at his true credentials before they make fools of themselves...

And to answer the question, although I don't like him, he's very good for the sport because he's a very marketable guy and that is exactly what you need in a growing sport. He's a freak of nature and a very skilled wrestler, so for the competition he is also extremely good.

SteezeFactory
07-04-2010, 12:46 AM
carwin got taken to the ground because he was so gassed from throwing those haymakers in the first. Look at the takedown he faked a punch and tackles the guy lol.

he prevented a couple takedowns at the beginning of the round but looked completely drained by the 2nd.

If he gets his conditioning up he will be hard to stop.

That's how takedowns in the UFC work brah, get the opponent to think you're going to throw and then shoot for the takedown. If Lesnar wants to get someone down he's getting them on the ground eventually. I remember Carwin survived one takedown attempt in the 1st and then was all over him the rest of the round.

Brock 'handled his ass' on the ground in the 2nd when Carwin was gassed

what about 3 full minutes in the 1st when Brock was on his back in the rolli polli position?

D1 all the way

Brock was on the ground in the first round because Carwin's stand up dropped him, not because he wrestled him down. I only remember Brock shooting on Carwin once in the first and he drove him back into the cage, then proceeded to get mauled by Carwin's standup for the rest of the round. If Lesnar wants to get you on the ground sooner or later it's going to happen. Once Brock got dropped and was on his back he was trying to survive not wrestle. Yeah, Carwin was gassed in the second but it's not a one round fight.

LiftHeavy85
07-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Anyone who seriously brings up his history in the WWE and claims that MMA sucks because its being dominated by a guy who professionally wrestled SERIOUSLY needs to take a closer look at his true credentials before they make fools of themselves...

And to answer the question, although I don't like him, he's very good for the sport because he's a very marketable guy and that is exactly what you need in a growing sport. He's a freak of nature and a very skilled wrestler, so for the competition he is also extremely good.

Wrestling alone doesnt win you matches in the mma. His size and strength plays a huge role and showed that he only had a couple years of MMA training under his belt. Carwin exposed his striking game as well as his ground game.

I mean lesnar got a take down on someone who was already gassed by throwing a fake punch and tackling the guy, when I saw that it looked like it was in slow motion and carwin didnt even try to defend it

Post interview lesnar said he JUST learned the triangle this year and thats not even an advanced bjj move

jvinci
07-04-2010, 01:18 AM
No matter how much cardio carwin woulda done, he was throwing everything he had at brock for 3 mins straight. once you're committed to expand ALL your energy at that one moment, its too late to recover. after 30 seconds he should have slowed down, took his time and just timed some elbows like he did once/twice.

LiftHeavy85
07-04-2010, 02:17 AM
No matter how much cardio carwin woulda done, he was throwing everything he had at brock for 3 mins straight. once you're committed to expand ALL your energy at that one moment, its too late to recover. after 30 seconds he should have slowed down, took his time and just timed some elbows like he did once/twice.

agreed, he went all or nothing and it didnt pay off...I think if he gets a rematch he will be alot smarter with his strikes knowing how well lesnar can take it.

BobbyZeus
07-04-2010, 02:29 AM
IF IF IF IF IF

My "If" is that if Carwin gets a rematch and takes it easy, he will lose. Going all out, almost payed off. It doesn't matter what condition improvement he makes. If he fights Brock again, his best bet is to take the same game plan as he did in this match.

Everybody is making excuses as to why Carwin lost. 99% of the time he would have won that match. People still lack to credit the hart of Brock.

BobbyZeus
07-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Many will see this match as Carwin dominating the match.

I see it as one man giving it all he had and failed.

Nobody got screwed nor got lucky. There is no luck in determination.

treeleaf
07-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Jebus chrimminy for a bunch of mma experts a lot of you make excuses and don't understand squat. Who the hell cares how Brock won? UFC isn't a streetfight there is strategy to the fight within the UFC rules. Brock used those rules to his advantage and won. Carwin gassed himself and lost too bad for him. Doesn't matter how fight is won -winning is what matters.

Well, if Carwin woulda done that or that maybe this. Duh, he didn't and he lost. Now make another excuse because you know everything.

As for being former WWe get over it he was a college wrestler before that (I think it's a rumor). If you can't accept it or worried about the link you're gay for worrying about it not the other way around.

Scoundrel
07-04-2010, 09:00 AM
im kinda on the fence. it cant be too good for ufc, seeing as how he got a title shot after his second or third fight, and one of those fights was a loss.

B.O.L.A.
07-05-2010, 11:32 AM
bad cause i cant take a sport seriously when i dude from the wwe(fake ****) is dominating.

It's sad people think this way. WWE is just what elite athletes with unique talents and physical gifts have to do to make a living. What is an olympic wrestler like Kurt Angle or a near-NFL caliber football player like Dwayne Johnson supposed to do for a living? CFL? Sign autographs, run training camps? Life after the NCAA/olympics is often very depressing for these athletes as everyone basically forgets about them...some of the greatest athletic specimens in the world, but no way to be recognized or paid. So then there was WWE, and now there is the UFC. Hopefully more doors will open up so we don't have gold medalists and elite athletes pumping gas for a living.