PDA

View Full Version : Serious question about exercise and potential alcohol withdrawal symptoms..

whimsicg
06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Well I finally stopped drinking the other day. I have been lying to myself and others about how much I drink, and although I've only been on a pretty steady diet of booze for about a year, I feel that enough damage has been done. I developed a little beer gut, became very lethargic and reclusive and enough is enough. That isn't a life.

My question is this:

Regarding symptoms from alcohol cessation, should I immediately begin to exercise or wait a week or two? Will I put myself in danger from working up a sweat and getting my heart rate up?

I'm 28 and have been pretty lazy for the past 6 months. My plan is to start slow, about 30 minutes on the exercise bike, sit ups and push ups for a few weeks than begin a solid 3X3 training regimen with a good clean diet and plenty of rest.

I read that quitting drinking cold turkey can be life threatening in some cases. It's been about 30 hours since I had that last glass of wine and I feel good now. No symptoms as of this post. Tomorrow morning I'm going to the doc just to make sure I'm ok.

So what do you think?

ggreenwa
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
I thought this would make a great first post for me, I've been lurking forever :)

I'm 24 and was in the SAME place as you. I was unhealthy and unhappy, started drinking more and more heavily, and more and more by myself. It was bad. I decided after reaching about 270lbs, and probably %38 BF that it was time to make a change.

A few tips. Keep in mind that I was in really pretty good shape in high school and have always had a strong body/heart. You want to VERY careful in the first few weeks.

I would recommend spending $10 on a set of light and heavy resistance bands. Spend your first 4-6 weeks doing simple resistance workouts, bodyweight exercises, and walking. To combat and cleanse during your detox you should be taking multis, fiber supp, fish oil, cal-mag, and drinking a few bags of green tea everyday. Start lowering your calories by a few hundred every week. Slow and steady is the key when you have been drinking a long time. The first 5-10 days are the worst, after that you should be fully clean and sober in about 6 weeks. You'll know when you are because you'll have natural energy every morning and you'll start feeling very "even".

After that start hitting the weights HARD.

MASSter
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
I thought this would make a great first post for me, I've been lurking forever :)

I'm 24 and was in the SAME place as you. I was unhealthy and unhappy, started drinking more and more heavily, and more and more by myself. It was bad. I decided after reaching about 270lbs, and probably %38 BF that it was time to make a change.

A few tips. Keep in mind that I was in really pretty good shape in high school and have always had a strong body/heart. You want to VERY careful in the first few weeks.

I would recommend spending $10 on a set of light and heavy resistance bands. Spend your first 4-6 weeks doing simple resistance workouts, bodyweight exercises, and walking. To combat and cleanse during your detox you should be taking multis, fiber supp, fish oil, cal-mag, and drinking a few bags of green tea everyday. Start lowering your calories by a few hundred every week. Slow and steady is the key when you have been drinking a long time. The first 5-10 days are the worst, after that you should be fully clean and sober in about 6 weeks. You'll know when you are because you'll have natural energy every morning and you'll start feeling very "even".

After that start hitting the weights HARD.I obviously am not a doctor but I think if you have only been drinking heavily for about a year you shouldn't have too many withdrawal symptoms other than cravings. I would also add in a good milk thistle product to help with liver detox. This a pretty comprehensive formula http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/liverde.html

ggreenwa
06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
I obviously am not a doctor but I think if you have only been drinking heavily for about a year you shouldn't have too many withdrawal symptoms other than cravings. I would also add in a good milk thistle product to help with liver detox. This a pretty comprehensive formula...

Well, for me it was age 20-23, so I guess I felt a little more weary about it. Yeah, milk thistle is supposed to be great for the liver, whether or not you're an alcoholic.

whimsicg
06-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks dude. Will do. Some great advice right there. By the way I just popped into your profile page and your progress pics are awesome. Way to go man. It's inspiring.

DJRaider
05-31-2011, 03:40 AM

I apologize for replying to an old thread,though i am in a similar situation and was wondering why you have to be VERY careful in the first few weeks? can you do damage or something alike? I am on my 6th day since quitting alcohol and have been walking almost everyday for an hour though i am itching to start exercising hard as i get bored and the days seem to go so slow when im not drinking, i have been battling alcoholism for the past year having multiple quits and multiple relapses,the longest being 1 & 1/2 months abstinence though this time im determined to the max to stop. i notice if i exercise my day goes smoother and thats good cause i dont think about drinking/negative thoughts. Just wondering what kind of bad effects i would/could have if i started going hard at the exercise? any opinions would be muchly appreciated,thanks