PDA

View Full Version : Need help after losing 179 pounds

justin05
06-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Well in April 2009 i decided to change my life around. I went from eating out about 10 times a week and drinking 7 to 10 sodas a day to eat healthy and not having a soda since April 16, 2009. I have been going to the gym since. I started at 407 and went down to 228. Im currently around 235. I do about 70-80 mins of cardio 5 days a week and struggling to lose weight. I think im eating to much. Monday through Friday i usually eat eggs or protein bar in morning. Eat banana couple hours later. Eat 2 turkey sandwiches and 2 pounds of grapes. Another banana and then i eat 2 chicken breasts with bake potato and then another 2 pounds of grapes before i go to bed. On the weekend i let myself eat whatever i want and i just constantly eat. Im either all on the diet through the week and on weekend just don't know when to stop eating junk. I just don't want to have to keep doing 80 minutes of cardio a day for rest of my life just to maintain. I would love to go gym 3 days a week and maintain. What do i need to change???

sureshk
06-28-2010, 06:11 AM
What do i need to change??? Your diet. Consume fewer calories, and you'll continue the fat loss.

epic weight loss already though!

Philabong
06-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Well in April 2009 i decided to change my life around. I went from eating out about 10 times a week and drinking 7 to 10 sodas a day to eat healthy and not having a soda since April 16, 2009. I have been going to the gym since. I started at 407 and went down to 228. Im currently around 235. I do about 70-80 mins of cardio 5 days a week and struggling to lose weight. I think im eating to much. Monday through Friday i usually eat eggs or protein bar in morning. Eat banana couple hours later. Eat 2 turkey sandwiches and 2 pounds of grapes. Another banana and then i eat 2 chicken breasts with bake potato and then another 2 pounds of grapes before i go to bed. On the weekend i let myself eat whatever i want and i just constantly eat. Im either all on the diet through the week and on weekend just don't know when to stop eating junk. I just don't want to have to keep doing 80 minutes of cardio a day for rest of my life just to maintain. I would love to go gym 3 days a week and maintain. What do i need to change???

1,252 Calories just from grapes... with 328.4g of carbs and only 16g of fiber.

Refine your diet. More protien, less sugar, more fiber.

With your cardio.... are you increasing intesity or just duration?

sid007
06-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Thats a s##t ton of grapes.

Ditch the protein bar, add more whole foods. Add more variety and lower the cals. Up the good fats which will keep you feeling more statisfied and reduce the cheat over the weekends.

justin05
06-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Ya i have increase both time and intesity. When i first started i could only do 7 mins of walking now i run. What are some examples of whole foods and foods with fiber? When i decided to do this journey this was a lifetime change. Im 6 ft and would be happy to spend the rest of my life at 215-220. I know that is still overweight but i can live with it. I spend 2 hours at the gym 5 days a week and sometimes on weekends. I want to be able to be at 215 pounds and cut back on the gym. I eat grapes because it feels me up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Philabong
06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Ya i have increase both time and intesity. When i first started i could only do 7 mins of walking now i run. What are some examples of whole foods and foods with fiber? When i decided to do this journey this was a lifetime change. Im 6 ft and would be happy to spend the rest of my life at 215-220. I know that is still overweight but i can live with it. I spend 2 hours at the gym 5 days a week and sometimes on weekends. I want to be able to be at 215 pounds and cut back on the gym. I eat grapes because it feels me up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1. Start lifting weights. Full body routine. Squats, Deadlifts, bench press, bent over row, military press, seated pull downs. 3x10 MWF.

2. Do cardio TThS. Up the intesity via incline so you are unable to do 80 minutes. You should be pushing to finish 40 minutes.

3. Swap the grapes for broccoli. Literally half the calories and 3x the fiber. Use www.fitday.com to track how many real calories you're taking in each day, cut back by 200 cals then see if you start losing.

4. Cut back your cheating to Sat or Sun Only... not both. Try and limit the cheat to one meal like dinner on Sat out with friends.

5. Read the stickies and become informed.

|progress|
06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
You're essentially replacing the sugar in the sodas you drink with the sugar from grapes. Cut them out.

SKRJPR99
06-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I started at 407 and went down to 228. Im currently around 235. I do about 70-80 mins of cardio 5 days a week and struggling to lose weight.

Monday through Friday i usually eat eggs or protein bar in morning. Eat banana couple hours later. Eat 2 turkey sandwiches and 2 pounds of grapes. Another banana and then i eat 2 chicken breasts with bake potato and then another 2 pounds of grapes before i go to bed. On the weekend i let myself eat whatever i want and i just constantly eat.

I just don't want to have to keep doing 80 minutes of cardio a day for rest of my life just to maintain. I would love to go gym 3 days a week and maintain. What do i need to change???

I suggest you cut out the grapes, and reform your weekend eating habits. Those two alone would save you half the time you spend doing cardio. I weigh 220, and lift on average five days a week for less than hour, and do on average three days a week of cardio for 30 minutes. Another poster suggested brocolli, and I agrree, any veggie will be better than 4 lbs of grapes. If you're suffering hunger pains, eat some protein, nothing is more satiating than protein.

ejthomp
06-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Great job on the weight loss to date!

Now you've reached a point where your current diet has plateaued you. You are eating for a 235 pound guy. If you want to weigh 200, you need to learn to eat like a 200 lber.

As others have said, your diet isn't balanced. Those grapes are almost the same as sodas. A handful or two of grapes for breakfast is okay. After that you really need to stay away from them. They are too many calories for your diet. More dark green veggies, less fruit is an easy way to fill up and get plenty of fiber. You can learn to love veggies. Just give them a chance. Dark green... asparagus, broccoli, spinach..etc.. good food.

If you control your calorie intake, you don't need to do 80 minutes of cardio every day. I recently was injured and didn't do any cardio for 5 months. During that time I lost 10 pounds by watching what I ate.

justin05
06-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. The problem is i don't like asparagus, broccoli, spinach.. Any other suggestions???

SKRJPR99
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys. The problem is i don't like asparagus, broccoli, spinach.. Any other suggestions???

What veggies do you like?

06-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Cauliflower.

Alanw
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM

I would say try and make them in such a way that you do enjoy them. I have my broccoli with a cup of rice and a can of salmon which I think put soy sauce on, and the broccoli is barely noticeable.

SamNewton
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
4 pounds of grapes? Idk if I'm reading this right, but that's a lot of ****ing grapes.

grategatsby
06-28-2010, 05:19 PM

if you've found a way to eat 4 pounds of grapes a day, i'm sure you can find a way to eat a reasonable amount of asparagus, broccoli, and spinach

spend a week and count every calorie you put in your body; at the end of the week you'll probably realize two things: 1. you eat a lot more calories than you'd imagined AND 2. counting calories is easier than you'd think...

great work though man

justin05
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
i do not like Cauliflower either. I don't like any seafood. I knew eating the many grapes would catch up to me but when i was the big the weight was still coming off. I can't seem to find a replacement for the grapes that are good and filling..

bluebloodedpony
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
How about squash or zucchini? Another favorite of mine is celery and baby carrots with some PB for dipping...omg...so good. It's summertime man, go to the store and try out some fresh produce! And I agree, the grapes gotta go. Remember too much of a good thing is a bad thing. If I told you that you could have a slice of cake or two pounds of grapes, what would you choose? What if I told you the grapes contained more sugar than that slice of cake? See? Not so good now is it. It is no different than having a huge salad at lunch, then drowning it in dressing. Totally taking away the point of the salad. May as well have a burger.

obesebeast
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
endomorphs are built for lifting weights, not running!

1g protein per 1lb target body weight
10 calories per 1lb target body weight
Lift weights a few days a week
Perform cardio a few days a week
Fats/carbs aren't too important to count, just make smart choices.

you don't need veggies but they're a great way to add fiber and perhaps satiate one better. I'd eat them more for their health benefits than dieting perks.

mvlax22
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
i do not like Cauliflower either. I don't like any seafood. I knew eating the many grapes would catch up to me but when i was the big the weight was still coming off. I can't seem to find a replacement for the grapes that are good and filling..

I recommend Watermelon. I find it more filling than grapes.

TheKansan
06-28-2010, 10:10 PM

First of all good job on the weight loss. It takes a lot of determination to lose weight like that. Second of all I will comment as I have had similar experiences.

I was like you after I reached my goal and I was getting burned out quick. If I hadn't changed my focus from losing weight to gaining muscle, I would probably have given up a long time ago and gained a lot of weight back.

Maintaining weight loss is harder than losing weight.

The amount of cardio you are doing is just too much and it will lead to burn out. I actually had that exact issue. What I did to resolve the issue was I increased the intensity of my cardio, but decreased the duration. I used to jog 6+ miles in around an hour. Now I run 4 miles in 30 minutes. By increasing the speed and incline on the treadmill, I burn nearly as many calories in 30 minutes as I was in 60 minutes before. Also my cardiovascular fitness has improved greatly.

Also as others have mentioned start doing more lifting. Lifting really helps me because it's not as boring as cardio, and it really can help change your physique at your current weight. If you were able to compare a pic of me at 225 back in 2008 to a pic of me at 225 in 2010, you would see that I am much leaner and more muscular. In fact my pant size at 225 in 2008 was 40 yet in 2010 it is 36. So obviously there is a pretty big difference.

TheKansan
06-28-2010, 10:14 PM
endomorphs are built for lifting weights, not running!

Poor advice. I love running, and lifting. Do what you love.

PerfectFormForever
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
4 POUNDS OF GRAPES.

That might be your problem. But good job on the progress, you sound dedicated.

ejthomp
06-29-2010, 12:17 AM

Time to man up and learn to eat your green veggies.

People's taste in food changes depending on what they eat. There are a ton of foods I never used to like that I love now....

Sushi, sashimi, broccoli, asparagus, spinach, grapefruit, tuna, salmon..etc..etc..

You know how I started to like them? I ate them!