PDA

View Full Version : Sleep questions

neelyboy
06-24-2010, 11:19 PM
How much sleep is the minimum one should get when trying to bulk up/is lifting? I usually get about 7 but I was wondering if I need more. ALSO, I heard that going to bed before midnight is a lot better for you because of your body clock or something. Is this true

canadianhick
06-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I work overnights and I haven't had problems with that aspect, everyone has different sleep patterns, meal times, ect. so everyone sleep patterns differ, the key is to keep one schedule and try not to throw off the body clock that you set ( 7 - 10 days is normal to adjust your own body clock)

The amount of sleep should be closer to 8 hours but the bigger point is how deep of a sleep your in, because when your in your deepest sleep is when your muscles have the best chance to grow. This is why your not suggested to eat carbs or do heavy work outs before you go to sleep, because your body will be working on digesting and repairing instead of growth.

Hope this helps!

Metaethics
06-24-2010, 11:56 PM
8 hours is always optimal but 7 hours is not too bad, considering how some people like me get only 3-4 hours a night.

TomEst
06-25-2010, 12:06 AM
All depends on your body. I usually sleep around 7 hours a night - my body just refuses to sleep any more. But 6 is min I would think. Sleep when you're tired. Wake up when you need to. Generally a good rule :-)

greenleaf
06-25-2010, 01:56 AM
I work overnights and I haven't had problems with that aspect, everyone has different sleep patterns, meal times, ect. so everyone sleep patterns differ, the key is to keep one schedule and try not to throw off the body clock that you set ( 7 - 10 days is normal to adjust your own body clock)

The amount of sleep should be closer to 8 hours but the bigger point is how deep of a sleep your in, because when your in your deepest sleep is when your muscles have the best chance to grow. This is why your not suggested to eat carbs or do heavy work outs before you go to sleep, because your body will be working on digesting and repairing instead of growth.

Hope this helps!

So is it bad to eat before sleep to prevent going catabolic overnight?

TomEst
06-25-2010, 02:10 AM
So is it bad to eat before sleep to prevent going catabolic overnight?

Hells no. Eat so you don't go catabolic and starve your muscles while you sleep. Eat a slow release protein.

bellasella
06-25-2010, 02:16 AM
I know about using casein, but what about adding coconut oil and using milk in it as well?

TomEst
06-25-2010, 02:19 AM
I know about using casein, but what about adding coconut oil and using milk in it as well?

*shrug* if you like it, if it fits in with your macros?

JOSEF RAKICH
06-25-2010, 03:10 AM
I ALWAYS get 6-8 hours of sleep every night, even on the weekends when i go out and dont get home till like 4-6am the next morning i still sleep for a good 6-8 hours from then and wake up mid day. The only time i diddnt get a decent amount of sleep was New Years, thats because i couldent get to sleep lol.

glockrockin
06-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Depends on you, my buddy can't function if he sleeps for more then 5 hours a night he drags a$$. I usually function best at about 7

AlwaysTryin
06-25-2010, 05:33 AM
Hells no. Eat so you don't go catabolic and starve your muscles while you sleep. Eat a slow release protein.

Catabolic in 6-8 hours of sleep...?? Ok... Lol

TomEst
06-25-2010, 05:39 AM
Catabolic in 6-8 hours of sleep...?? Ok... Lol

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here?

Nocturnal (sleep-induced) Post-Absorptive Muscle Catabolism is something you do need to combat. Otherwise, well, we wouldn't be talking about it.

heycisco01
06-25-2010, 05:56 AM
I have more energy on 6 hours of sleep than I do 8. 7 is a happy medium for me.

ajb316
06-25-2010, 07:25 AM
As much sleep as my lifestyle (work,training,social) allows me but usually not less than 6.

I also find anymore than 10 to be detrimental as can leave you sluggish and more tired

titdoctor
06-25-2010, 07:58 AM

Hope this helps!

Had sleep problems for 4-5 years and couldn't find the reason why I could never sleep deep anymore. Then I started eating a big bowl of oatmeal with banana/cinnamon/maple syrup before bed now I sleep like a baby, no waking up, multiple dreams I actually remember. I'm recovering ALOT better now, so some people like me need carbs before bed we are not all the same. Waking up at 3:00 a.m hungry sucks, because protein never really fills me up

canadianhick
06-25-2010, 11:11 PM
I was just stating what was suppose to be typical and yes there are always exceptions, like if I eat any carbs I can't sleep for 3 hours after, so for me some protien in my stomach is enough to let me get knocked out, when I sleep I basically drop into a deep sleep right away, and stay there.

as for going catabolic during your 6-8 hours sleep, if your eating good long lasting carbs then normally thats not likely to happen, but everyone is different :)

MarkVI
06-25-2010, 11:53 PM
You need 4 cycles of REM to be "optimal" and that takes 8 hours. That being said, I plan on getting 10 tonight :D

neelyboy
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
You need 4 cycles of REM to be "optimal" and that takes 8 hours. That being said, I plan on getting 10 tonight :D

Hopefully I'll be able to get to 8 soon, I usually wake up in the middle of the night to piss though and it really messes up my sleep.

EmperorRyker
06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to get to 8 soon, I usually wake up in the middle of the night to piss though and it really messes up my sleep.
Yeah, tell me about it, I usually wake up twice, once in the middle of the night, and then again just before my 8 hours of sleep are up, making it kind of hard to fall back asleep.

scantraxx
06-26-2010, 11:49 PM
8 hours is always optimal but 7 hours is not too bad, considering how some people like me get only 3-4 hours a night.

3-4 ****!! does it affect your gains?

FunkymonkAW
06-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Last quarter in college I was getting 5-6 hours of sleep after a full day's worth of work/class/clubs/networking/friends. Once I started getting 7-8 hours, I started setting PRs almost daily. Sleep makes a HUGE difference to me, and I'm very careful to allow enough time for my body to get enough sleep for what's going on in my life atm.