PDA

View Full Version : "High Intensity cardio burns carbs, low intensity burns fat": BROSCIENCE?

clash101
06-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Can someone help me out here? From what I have read by many people here, especially the experts, it seems that losing weight and fat is about calories in vs, calories out. So if I do a 40 minute low intensity cardio session or a 20 minute high intensity interval training and burn the same amount of calories, will I simply end up losing the same amount of fat?

Or is it true that the low intensity fat burning zone exists? I HAVE used the search button but there is so much damn contradictory information here that its confusing me.

Basically, which one should I do? THanks.

Webber91
06-19-2010, 06:41 PM
It doesn't matter, just do it.

If you want to go for a 90 minute run then do that, if you're like me and prefer to make yourself throw up then do harsh intervals for 15-20 minutes until you collapse in your driveway in a pool of sweat and vomit.

Kdubs50
06-19-2010, 06:43 PM
does it really even matter? isnt it just about the cals burned in the end...

clash101
06-19-2010, 06:45 PM
does it really even matter? isnt it just about the cals burned in the end...

That exactly what I'm asking and the poster on top seems to think so... which is what I've believed.

Webber91
06-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Cardio is a tool to help you create a deficit.

There are many physiological health benefits from it as well though (more than just burning calories), which is why I believe everyone should do it.

Find a type that you like. I personally couldn't go on a bike ride for hours because I'd go crazy thinking to myself for that long, hence why I go with things like circuit training, tabata's and hill sprints.

To answer your question though, yes HIIT uses glucose for energy, and yes the "fat burning zone" is complete bullsh*t IMO.

clash101
06-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Cardio is a tool to help you create a deficit.

There are many physiological health benefits from it as well though (more than just burning calories), which is why I believe everyone should do it.

Find a type that you like. I personally couldn't go on a bike ride for hours because I'd go crazy thinking to myself for that long, hence why I go with things like circuit training, tabata's and hill sprints.

To answer your question though, yes HIIT uses glucose for energy, and yes the "fat burning zone" is complete bullsh*t IMO.

Ok thanks a lot! And I agree with you, I would much rather do an intense shorter cardio session than a long slow one.

jsh6487
06-19-2010, 07:22 PM
My cardio is a 45 min jog on a treadmill while watching TV. If I'm into whatever's on TV then the time flys by and I don't get bored.

RoWdY_RuFf_BoY
06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Take a look at sprinters(HIIT) then take a look at long distance runners(LISS). The evidence is clear.

BamaBruce
06-19-2010, 08:40 PM
eh, been doing 45 min morning runs about 5x per week, seeing results on the tape measure and comments (albeit only from family, lol)

BamaBruce
06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
My cardio is a 45 min jog on a treadmill while watching TV. If I'm into whatever's on TV then the time flys by and I don't get bored.

hey, now that gives me an idea! Currently I just listen to music, but it seems to DRAGGGG on... maybe I should put a TV downstairs, maybe just with a DVD player and watch a movie, instead of hooking it up to cable... then again my timer is quite literally my music, so maybe still on in background or just set a time on my phone, like I used to? hmm good ideas, as I usually have to literally say motivational quotes out loud to remind myself....

Revolutionize
06-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Take a look at sprinters(HIIT) then take a look at long distance runners(LISS). The evidence is clear.

To some extent this is true (fast twitch vs. slow twitch). However, this is not entirely fair. How many sprinters do you think lift weights? I would say most. How many long distance runners do you think lift weights. I can't say for sure, but I would say far fewer. And that's not even getting into performance enhancers.