PDA

View Full Version : Question about water weight

fhbob
06-14-2010, 01:12 AM
So I have been trying to get a read on what my actual weight is minus water fluctuations.

So, 3 weeks ago I weighed myself before I worked out. I was 177. I then ran 7 miles, lifted, and then sat in the sauna for about 30 mins to sweat off the water. I dropped down to 175.

since then I have been lifting hard and running an average of probably 5 miles a day.

Fast forward to today. I weighed myself before working out again, 176. I then ran about 8 miles, lifted and sat in the sauna again for about 30 mins. I dropped down to 171.5.

After I got home, I re-hydrated and ate dinner and my weight went back up to 176.

Is my body holding onto more water or what is going on? Its like I can't break the 175 pound mark. I haven't been eating low-carb during any of my cut so I don't think that should account for the fluctuations.

any idea whats going on here?

Vigilante_Inc
06-14-2010, 01:15 AM
So I have been trying to get a read on what my actual weight is minus water fluctuations.

So, 3 weeks ago I weighed myself before I worked out. I was 177. I then ran 7 miles, lifted, and then sat in the sauna for about 30 mins to sweat off the water. I dropped down to 175.

since then I have been lifting hard and running an average of probably 5 miles a day.

Fast forward to today. I weighed myself before working out again, 176. I then ran about 8 miles, lifted and sat in the sauna again for about 30 mins. I dropped down to 171.5.

After I got home, I re-hydrated and ate dinner and my weight went back up to 176.

Is my body holding onto more water or what is going on? Its like I can't break the 175 pound mark. I haven't been eating low-carb during any of my cut so I don't think that should account for the fluctuations.

any idea whats going on here?

You're going to have swings in weight man especially exercising the way you are. Glycogen stores and sweating etc will be dramatic. My suggestion is not to weigh yourself all the time. Once a week in the morning after you pee is ideal for consistency. Like every monday or something.

Think about water weight this way. A damp sponge looks almost exactly like a soaked sponge.... but probably weighs a ton more. Thats how you should think about your body... you want a really wet spnge because it's healthier. Only time you should ever wanna be dehydrated to sorts is if your preparing for a competition in BB'ing and that s so you can see more definaition

fhbob
06-14-2010, 01:21 AM
You're going to have swings in weight man especially exercising the way you are. Glycogen stores and sweating etc will be dramatic. My suggestion is not to weigh yourself all the time. Once a week in the morning after you pee is ideal for consistency. Like every monday or something.

Think about water weight this way. A damp sponge looks almost exactly like a soaked sponge.... but probably weighs a ton more. Thats how you should think about your body... you want a really wet spnge because it's healthier. Only time you should ever wanna be dehydrated to sorts is if your preparing for a competition in BB'ing and that s so you can see more definaition

Yea I know, I'm just so accustomed to judging my results by the numbers on the scale. I've been cutting for almost 2 years now lol, down from 285 to around 175. I've been trying to get to 170 and then I'm going to try and clean bulk, these last 5 pounds are just really taking forever to lose compared to the rest of the weight.

Vigilante_Inc
06-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Yea I know, I'm just so accustomed to judging my results by the numbers on the scale. I've been cutting for almost 2 years now lol, down from 285 to around 175. I've been trying to get to 170 and then I'm going to try and clean bulk, these last 5 pounds are just really taking forever to lose compared to the rest of the weight.

Just dont worry so much about it. Stressing it isnt gonna make it go away faster