PDA

View Full Version : Is this okay for post workout?

devotchkas
06-13-2010, 08:15 PM
For my meal/shake following my workout how does something like this sound?

Mixed fruit + whey immediately after
then when I get home would it be okay to have sweet potato and some quinoa?

seifelbadrawy
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
any carb that gives a good insulin response would be great for post workout., so the fruits are alright. Regarding the sweet potatoes and quinoa.. you can have anything you want as long as you count it in your total calorie consumption for the day and you remain on a deficit. so keep an eye on the portions..

snorkelman
06-14-2010, 02:28 AM
OP, what you are contemplating is just fine. I saw your other thread about dextrose, and you should be applauded for asking about using whole foods rather than empty calorie carb sources like dextrose. Many people use dextrose as a post workout carb source because they think it will give them better results, but you will do just fine using ANY carb source (even oats) post workout. It all comes back to keeping your protein adequate and hitting your daily caloric goals.

sureshk
06-14-2010, 03:20 AM
any carb post WO is good, but to get maximum insulin response you want high GI carbs. that's not to mean getting maximum insulin response is necessary (jury is out on this one for me). Personally I switched about 2 weeks ago to 1 medium banana + whey shake (with water and creatine) straight after WO, and usually a good meal within 1 hour, and I feel it's helping me keep (and gain) muscle on my cut. Not sure I'd be gaining muscle on a 1300 deficit otherwise.

devotchkas
06-14-2010, 05:51 AM
Thank you so much everyone! And yes today is my high carb day so post workout I need 100 grams of carbs! Yikes

devotchkas
06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
I really wanted coconut water for post workout so I called Sobeys and they said they had some, went there and they didn't. Called Save On- same thing. Health food store- same thing. Unfortunately I did this all AFTER my workout so I didn't end up eating anything aside from an apple until ~an hour later :( I feel like crap because that coconut water would have fit in perfectly, it's healthy, high in potassium and quickly absorbing. Instead I had an apple, half a cup of pineapple, whey, 2.5 cups sweet potato and 3 tbsp quinoa so I've also had too much protein at one meal which makes me feel even worse.

Demagogue28
06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Fruit is always a solid choice for post. :)

Pennyw1se
06-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Dont stress out over 1 missed PW meal OP. Its a marathon not a sprint. 1 meal wont ruin your progress.

PBateman2
06-14-2010, 12:22 PM
op, what you are contemplating is just fine. I saw your other thread about dextrose, and you should be applauded for asking about using whole foods rather than empty calorie carb sources like dextrose. Many people use dextrose as a post workout carb source because they think it will give them better results, but you will do just fine using any carb source (even oats) post workout. It all comes back to keeping your protein adequate and hitting your daily caloric goals.

x2.

dustyrising
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
High carb day? Are you carb cycling for a reason, an event coming up? Carb cycling can be good for short periods of time but for the general person cycling is not good, keep it consistent.

surfergirl36
06-14-2010, 12:45 PM
High carb day? Are you carb cycling for a reason, an event coming up? Carb cycling can be good for short periods of time but for the general person cycling is not good, keep it consistent.

I'm curious as to the reason why it would not be good? Not in a disrespectful way...I've just never heard that before so am interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

PBateman2
06-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Disagree. Depends on the individual. Some do well and others do not.

seifelbadrawy
06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm curious as to the reason why it would not be good? Not in a disrespectful way...I've just never heard that before so am interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

ya,, same here.. i think the only bad thing about carb cycling is that you can't live the rest of your life that way.. but you can't live the rest of your life on a calorie deficit either..

devotchkas
06-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I REALLY like the carb cycle I'm doing right now, so far. I almost never feel hungry which is amazing for me because I feel SO depressed when I'm starving (not because I love to eat, I think it just has something to do with the amount of glucose going to my brain) and I also can't think straight at work when I'm hungry which would happen if I was always in a calorie deficient.