PDA

View Full Version : 20 minute jog before breakfast?

MajorVictory
06-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Would a 20 minute jog before breakfast (while the body is fasted) cause muscle loss? If it does not would this be enough cardio to effectively burn fat?

BamaBruce
06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I've been doing 45 minuite runs before breakfast, seeing steady, good results, and NO strength loss thusfar!

MajorVictory
06-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I've been doing 45 minuite runs before breakfast, seeing steady, good results, and NO strength loss thusfar!

Then could I aslo alternate between 20 minutes HIIT and 40 minutes cardio? Or would the HIIT be too much?

Demagogue28
06-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I remember someone telling me before that if you run in the morning right when you wake up your body reacts differently, something to do with insulin spikes or it produces a different chemical in your brain or some such other.. you should look into it, if I recall correctly it makes you less craving of quick sugar spikes thus making healthier foods fill you better.

BamaBruce
06-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Then could I aslo alternate between 20 minutes HIIT and 40 minutes cardio? Or would the HIIT be too much?

20 mn of HIIT and you might not be ABLE to do the rest, lol

Demagogue28
06-13-2010, 09:02 PM
As I understand it, the concept behind empty stomach cardios is that first thing in the morning, after an all night fast, glycogen stores in muscle and liver tissues is mostly depleted and blood sugar is low low low. Since these quick energy stores are depleted the body will be forced to burn fat for energy during exercise. Have you ever heard the addage that the first 20 minutes of cardios serves to burn off carbs while fat burning only occurs in the second 20 minutes of cardio (and beyond)? Well, doing cardios first thing in the morning supposedly eliminates the need to burn off the carbs and allows one to jump right into the "fat burning" stage during cardios.

Problems can arise in that this depleted state is very catabolic to muscle tissue as well as fat, energy is usually low, and this state can be favorable for fat deposition. Metabolism is slow when we first wake up. Cortisol builds up overnight and insulin sensitivity is sky-high first thing in the morning. So if you're gonna take a protein shake before morning cardios (which can be very helpful to side-step muscle catabolism and low energy during cardios), make it a small serving and take it without carbs, not even milk. The thermogenic pill combined with the protein will help to nudge your metabolic environment towards fat-burning rather than muscle catabolism. For a post workout meal you're gonna want to keep the carbs low-glycemic cuz although insulin sensitivity will be somewhat blunted during exercise, your body is still screamin for carbs and excess will be deposited as fat fat fat.

I like to take Yohimbine HCl and caffeine instead of ECA for early morning cardios. I get a mild thermogenic effect that specifically targets alpha-2 receptors (adrenergic receptors associated with gynoid fat deposits) helping me to specifically target girlie fat (ass, thighs, etc...).

This is just the way I understand the morning cardio thing. I may be wrong. HTH anyway.

-EG

This is the only thing I found close to what I was talking about via Google off another BB forum.

MajorVictory
06-14-2010, 03:48 AM
Hey,
thank you for all the replies a I am going to start this! So once again thank you for your opinions as they did help very much!

Cheers!

bigbadmac
06-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Lots of threads on hiit fasted, long story short i believe you will go catabolic and lose muscle mass.Just do an easy walk/slow run on an incline around 125 bpm and you will see good progress.Take your aminos before hand and your good to go.

TheProgressiveOne
06-14-2010, 06:19 AM
im not 100% sure, but there should be a sticky in the exercises section regarding the effects of fasted cardio..

Also it is not recommended to do HIIT on an empty stomach..the intensity can send the body into a higher level of catabolism..

I might be starting up morning cardio myself soon!

Great for cutting