PDA

View Full Version : 20 pounds in 15 days

jgesquire
06-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Is it possible?

I have all the free time in the world and currently have a gym membership. I'm thinking about living in the gym and doing crazy cardio plus limiting what I eat to just tuna, egg whites, protein shakes to name a few.

What would you recommend I do.

khrono
06-13-2010, 02:31 PM
considering your weight its possible

but probably 5-6 pounds will be from water :(

iicbh
06-13-2010, 02:41 PM
it is possible , however it will take extreme motivation, and deprivation.
I lost 10 pounds in 5 days doing a fast. That lemon and Cayenne pepper diet. but i gained it all back in like month! hahaha

GettingfitAgain
06-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Is it possible?

I have all the free time in the world and currently have a gym membership. I'm thinking about living in the gym and doing crazy cardio plus limiting what I eat to just tuna, egg whites, protein shakes to name a few.

Is there a reason you need to lose 15 lbs in 2 weeks? If you are just starting lifting/dieting then yes its possible because you will shed a bunch of water weight the first week (note water weight and not fat). If you lose 15 lbs maybe 4-6 of that will be fat, the rest water.

407swag
06-13-2010, 05:24 PM
I was 185lbs 8 days ago ... I'm 168lbs at the moment ... two a day workouts, 1 day off, and extremely low calorie diet 300-1000 calories

03Venomous
06-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Sure is! 10lbs of water weight, 4-5 lbs of fat, and 5 lbs of muscle loss.

Go for it, but you're doing it wrong.

ElGordoNoMas
06-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Completely possible. I did a water fast a couple of years ago (not for weight loss though) for 10 days and I lose nearly 20 pounds. I gained about 8 pounds back within a day or two after eating again, though in the 10 days I guess I did actually lose a pant size. The weight you lose from fasting you won't gain back necessarily unless you go back to bad eating habits. All I can say about fasting is that it is a mentally enlightening experience, which really shows you your connection with food, for better or worse, and helps you to develop healthy habits if you approach it in that manner. It is not recommended to do a water-fast for longer than 7 days though without doctor supervision. And please, if you decide to do it, read how to break a fast properly. It is not safe to just start eating large amounts of whole food after not eating for a week or so.

big_desi
06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
If you want to burn 20 pounds of fat, that will be around 5400 calories under maintenance. So lets say you eat 1500 calories, you will need to burn 6900 throughout the day. That is quite a bit, perhaps 10 hours of running per day MIGHT do it. If you just want to lose the weight then sweat it out. In my opinion rapid weight loss like this is very unhealthy. Take it slow, you will keep your muscle and won't feel as tired throughout the day. The muscle loss will slow down your metabolism and you will be back to your starting weight with less muscle when you relapse from the diet.

ElGordoNoMas
06-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Well let's be clear. He's not going to lose 20lbs of fat in 15 days. That's just not going to happen. Just losing 20lbs though? Yah, you can do it. You WON'T gain it all back once you come off the diet either unless you start eating over maintenance. Though, you definitely will probably lose some muscle in there. So maybe it won't make your body composition better, but you'll be thinner for sure.

407swag
06-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Completely possible. I did a water fast a couple of years ago (not for weight loss though) for 10 days and I lose nearly 20 pounds. I gained about 8 pounds back within a day or two after eating again, though in the 10 days I guess I did actually lose a pant size. The weight you lose from fasting you won't gain back necessarily unless you go back to bad eating habits. All I can say about fasting is that it is a mentally enlightening experience, which really shows you your connection with food, for better or worse, and helps you to develop healthy habits if you approach it in that manner. It is not recommended to do a water-fast for longer than 7 days though without doctor supervision. And please, if you decide to do it, read how to break a fast properly. It is not safe to just start eating large amounts of whole food after not eating for a week or so.

This is spot on. Until I tried fasting I could never quite get a grip on cravings. Now I am able to view food simply as fuel, instead of eating being an event i look forward to which led to overeating

jgesquire
06-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the tips. The real reason I wanna do this is personal plus you guys would unmotivate me by laughing at my reason(it involves a woman). I like the idea of having to burn 5400 a day and it seems like a tough task.

My plan is to watch my morning diet but after just consume nothing more than tuna or chicken th rest of th day and watch my calories from that and to do no more than 1500 calories a day.

My workout will be mainly cardio using the stairmaster and whatever else I can find plus some sauna.

A1000
06-14-2010, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the tips. The real reason I wanna do this is personal plus you guys would unmotivate me by laughing at my reason(it involves a woman).

No laughs from me, anything that motivates and makes your life better is cool in my book!

However i've tried doing this myself and it always leads to overeating...but maybe thats just me!

Good luck if you do go ahead with it, would be interesting to hear how you get on!

sureshk
06-14-2010, 03:23 AM
I was 185lbs 8 days ago ... I'm 168lbs at the moment ... two a day workouts, 1 day off, and extremely low calorie diet 300-1000 calories

wtf 300 calorie diet? I hope you eat closer to the 1000 calories. 300 is just WAY too low to be healthy for anyone. Why would you subject yourself to that? You can't possibly sustain it, and you are probably putting your body straight into starvation mode.

John9600gt
06-14-2010, 04:31 AM

Pics?

ElGordoNoMas
06-14-2010, 08:09 AM
This is spot on. Until I tried fasting I could never quite get a grip on cravings. Now I am able to view food simply as fuel, instead of eating being an event i look forward to which led to overeating

Yeah! Fasting (water) is absolutely great! The first two days always seem to be the most difficult for me as the cravings can be intense. After that I basically lose my hunger and sometimes I am not hungry for days. I have never went past 10 days, though I have friends who have done up to 25 and 30 day water fasts with doctor supervision. Actually it is safer and more recommended to do shorter, repeated fasts than doing one, long extended fast. Fasting is probably one of the most misunderstood practices, though it is a very ancient practice. During mine my mind was more clear than usual and my energy was great. I have never done beyond 10 days, though I hear once you reach 20 days it is almost like a spiritual even in how you view the connection to food and how you get to understanding your body. The best advice is to listen to your body if you try this. You will learn what true hunger, not cravings, is. That is when you KNOW to break it.

ElGordoNoMas
06-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the tips. The real reason I wanna do this is personal plus you guys would unmotivate me by laughing at my reason(it involves a woman). I like the idea of having to burn 5400 a day and it seems like a tough task.

My plan is to watch my morning diet but after just consume nothing more than tuna or chicken th rest of th day and watch my calories from that and to do no more than 1500 calories a day.

My workout will be mainly cardio using the stairmaster and whatever else I can find plus some sauna.

Sh*t man a woman sounds like a great motivation to me! My three main motivations for losing weight are 1) look good for the opposite sex, 2) Feel good, and 3) to have a healthy body.

jgesquire
06-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Any cardio routines that would help out in losing weight quicker?

OnLettingGo
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't think that would be healthy.

TheNewestGuy
06-14-2010, 10:42 AM
It's honestly unlikely even if you eat nothing.

You're probably around 2300 maintenance (rough estimate), so eating nothing would mean you'd still need to burn an additional 2335 calories to lose 1.3 pounds a day.

In other words, once the 5 lbs or so of water weight dropped, it'd be pretty much the end.

Let's say you went absolutely crazy, ate a diet of 500 cals a day and did ~ 1500 calories of cardio+weights a day (we also have to assume this is sustainable, which is suspect). Let's also say you lose 4-5 pounds of water weight in this time. In 15 days you'd lose about 13 pounds.

TheNewestGuy
06-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Any cardio routines that would help out in losing weight quicker?

I get the impression that you have something happening in 15 days. Going to the beach? 15-year high school reunion? Am I right?

15 days will not get you anything noticeable no matter how crazy you get. You're going to need to plan better in the future and give yourself at least 8 weeks.

Pennyw1se
06-14-2010, 10:48 AM
If The Biggest Loser has taught us anything is that you can lose a crazy amount of weight in a very short period of time. However, it has also taught us that you wont likely keep it off. OP, you are going to hate life for the next 2 weeks if you try to lose 20lbs in 2 weeks. Maybe try PSMF? I have no experience with it but it is VERY low cal.

ChiefRocka
06-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Can't be done. Sorry. You would have to eat nothing...literally, just water and maybe a leaf of lettuce AND burn like 1000 cals a day to make that happen. And especially dont do this for a woman. NO. You are subjecting yourself to hell, running your body on empty to the point of starvation just for some pu$$y? Come on dog.

I guess you guys never met in person before and you want to impress. Can you look better in 15 days? Absolutely. You can slim up and drop 8 or 9 pounds in a healthy way and look better than you did before...give yourself a realistic goal.

Revolutionize
06-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Is it possible?

Can it be done? Sure - but like others have said, it's going to be some serious torture.

20lbs = 70,000 calories/15 = 4,666 calories per day. Let's assume you are going to eat 1000 calories per day and have a maintenance level of 2300. You now need to burn around 3,366 calories per day through exercise. However, let's take out 4lbs because you will probably lose that much from water weight. So now we are talking around 2,346 calories you need to burn via exercise. You're looking at 3 plus hours of cardio per day (depending upon exercise intensity). And you will lose some lbm.

jgesquire
06-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Can't be done. Sorry. You would have to eat nothing...literally, just water and maybe a leaf of lettuce AND burn like 1000 cals a day to make that happen. And especially dont do this for a woman. NO. You are subjecting yourself to hell, running your body on empty to the point of starvation just for some pu$$y? Come on dog.

I guess you guys never met in person before and you want to impress. Can you look better in 15 days? Absolutely. You can slim up and drop 8 or 9 pounds in a healthy way and look better than you did before...give yourself a realistic goal.

OK forget the 20 pnds...seems unhealthy.

What would you do to lose 8-9 pnds in that time?

ElGordoNoMas
06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
If The Biggest Loser has taught us anything is that you can lose a crazy amount of weight in a very short period of time. However, it has also taught us that you wont likely keep it off. OP, you are going to hate life for the next 2 weeks if you try to lose 20lbs in 2 weeks. Maybe try PSMF? I have no experience with it but it is VERY low cal.

True, but those people are damn big. I think the weight comes off faster the larger you are. OP, if you just want to look slimmer in clothes then it is completely doable. It may not be healthy, but you can do it. I watched a guy drop 15lbs in a fews day while he was cutting weight for a weigh-in. It's definitely not healthy to do that. He was borderline dehydrated, if not already there.

ChiefRocka
06-14-2010, 07:15 PM
OK forget the 20 pnds...seems unhealthy.

What would you do to lose 8-9 pnds in that time?Calorie deficit + weight lifting + cardio.

If you want to get it done in such a short time you are gonna want to cut your calories down by almost 1000 and also bust your a$$ in the gym. 60 minutes of weights, 25 minutes of cardio, 5 or 6 days a week. You got your work cut out for you but hey it can be done.

407swag
06-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Pics?

I'll post a before and after tomorrow ... they never come out too well but you'll get the idea

Just to be clear, I was a stuff, bloated 185 lbs, just waking up in the morning but ate way too much the night before. My normal fluctuation before starting the diet was 178-185. I bounce around a lot.

I''m now on day 9 ... weighed 171lbs this morning and 168lbs mid day today. I ate about 1300 calories yesterday

Spinach and grilled chicken
Egg whites (pan + eggwhites + cook, nothing else)
big can of tuna (dry + fresh lemon squeezed on it)
1/4 almonds

Yesterday was my only off day from the gym though I walked a couple miles

Today I didn't consume any calories until 5:30pm, a muscle milk ... since I've had a big can of tuna and a 1/4 cup almonds. I'm still deciding if I should eat more or not. I had a pretty intense 1 hour conditioning session at 4:00pm on an empty stomach

I definitely LOVE food and dont have an eating disorder. I was never fat or overly skinny. I just wanted to break the 13% BF plateau I've basically been stuck at. I figure a serious 2-3 week starvation/cut ... I'll end up somewhere around 10% and can just maintain for a while going back to 2500-2800 calories. Then regardless if I decide to cut again or just maintain I can enjoy having abs ... again, in only 3 weeks! Everyone has their expert forum opinion but unless someone else has tried it before I'd like to see the results for myself

breaktheground
06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Have fun gaining all the weight back once you start eating normal again :)

407swag
06-14-2010, 09:36 PM
If I gain it back I'll just try again using a different method

no offense, but it doesn't look like you have it figured out either ;-)

breaktheground
06-14-2010, 09:50 PM
So you're saying eating at maintenance after doing a starvation/super low cal diet won't cause the yoyo effect?

okaayyyy.

407swag
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
So you're saying eating at maintenance after doing a starvation/super low cal diet won't cause the yoyo effect?

okaayyyy.

I'm saying I don't know ... and neither do you ... but I'll find out and will post my results. I'm really not worried about losing muscle. I would gladly trade a few lbs of muscle for a 6 pack. I put on muscle relatively easily; way easier than losing fat. If my weight bounces and I lose some muscle I'll only have lost some time and gained some experience ... and if it works extremely well and I make a good enough post about it, people will try it ... but someone has to go first

It's just not my personality type to just follow the masses without trying to improve whatever it is.

If you read a lot of the keto/low carb posts you'll see people talk about refeeds as a way to stay sane ... some people say its necessary for continued weight loss, some say only take one if you need one .. and so on ... who knows what to believe. You have to sort through the info and follow whatever seems to make the most sense to you ... but you can't be afraid to try experiment yourself ... everyone is different and everyone has to figure out what works for them (instead of just what you heard worked for the other guy) ... thats all I'm doing.

optimusprimeXD
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM

okaayyyy.

Not if he eased his way back up and continues to work out. LoL...even funnier *OP don't do this though* if he ran a cycle after the cut and slowly went up cal...huge muscle jump, might even lose a little more fat and in the end he'd have a good deal more muscle and less fat...which may off set the calorie difference.

breaktheground
06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
He didn't say he would ease back into caloric maintenance.. that would obviously be the legit way to ease back into eating normally.

Either way, good luck and I hope it gets you to your goal!

bryans989
06-14-2010, 11:12 PM
I have a question about water weight. In the past 4.5 weeks I have lost 20.2 pounds. This isn't all water weight is it? How much would you guys say is water weight? I did lose 8 pounds the first week, 5 the second, and about 3 a week since then.

rawrnom
06-14-2010, 11:21 PM

300 calories is just stupid.

MrRR
06-14-2010, 11:43 PM
wtf there is so much bro science in this thread my head hurts. Why would his weight go right back up after he starts eating at maintenance? I wish people understood starvation mode as perhaps 90 percent of people percieve it doesn't exist the way you think it does, or do you just go around repeating what everyone else says because it sounds right? Other than perhaps his water level fluctuating back to up a bit there will be no reason for his weight to go back up once eating at maintenance.

Second the weight you lose will largely be water, your body only lets you burn so much fat per pound of fat you have on your body per day. It is absolutely impossible for you at your current weight and what is a likely BF percentage of no more than 20 percent.

I believe a study shows that each pound of fat in your body can produce up to something like 31-32 calories for energy a day, therefore if you know your body fat percentage and calculate how many pounds of fat you have in your body and multiply it by 31 you can get a rough estimate as to who how much weight you can lose without comprising your lean mass too much.

So for example if you are 180 lbs at 20% bf, that give you about 36 lbs of fat, 36x31=1116 cal from fat a day, (compared to for example, someone with 100 lbs of fat which would allow them to lose near a pound of fat a day) which is a little less than a third of a pound this would lead you to believe you can lose about 2 lbs of fat a week, but you have to account for the fact that every day as your fat mass decreases, so does the amount of calories you can derive from your fat a day, and therefore your ideal deficit decreases every day, along with the speed of the weightloss.

Obviously it will give you a pretty rough estimate, but I have found that this estimate makes alot of sense when I compare it to my own weightloss.

rawrnom
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
I have a question about water weight. In the past 4.5 weeks I have lost 20.2 pounds. This isn't all water weight is it? How much would you guys say is water weight? I did lose 8 pounds the first week, 5 the second, and about 3 a week since then.

probably the 8 lb in the first week was water, and maybe a few in the second week.

MrRR
06-14-2010, 11:58 PM
probably the 8 lb in the first week was water, and maybe a few in the second week.

the first week obviously wasnt all water if he was still running at a deficit. if it seems your weight loss is evening out to around 3 pounds a week you can guess perhaps 4-5 pounds the first week were water.

seifelbadrawy
06-15-2010, 12:05 AM
wtf there is so much bro science in this thread my head hurts. Why would his weight go right back up after he starts eating at maintenance? I wish people understood starvation mode as perhaps 90 percent of people percieve it doesn't exist the way you think it does, or do you just go around repeating what everyone else says because it sounds right? Other than perhaps his water level fluctuating back to up a bit there will be no reason for his weight to go back up once eating at maintenance.

Second the weight you lose will largely be water, your body only lets you burn so much fat per pound of fat you have on your body per day. It is absolutely impossible for you at your current weight and what is a likely BF percentage of no more than 20 percent.

I believe a study shows that each pound of fat in your body can produce up to something like 31-32 calories for energy a day, therefore if you know your body fat percentage and calculate how many pounds of fat you have in your body and multiply it by 31 you can get a rough estimate as to who how much weight you can lose without comprising your lean mass too much.

So for example if you are 180 lbs at 20% bf, that give you about 36 lbs of fat, 36x31=1116 cal from fat a day, (compared to for example, someone with 100 lbs of fat which would allow them to lose near a pound of fat a day) which is a little less than a third of a pound this would lead you to believe you can lose about 2 lbs of fat a week, but you have to account for the fact that every day as your fat mass decreases, so does the amount of calories you can derive from your fat a day, and therefore your ideal deficit decreases every day, along with the speed of the weightloss.

Obviously it will give you a pretty rough estimate, but I have found that this estimate makes alot of sense when I compare it to my own weightloss.

repped man...

listen to him..

if i was 223 pounds at 5'10, and doing cardio, i'd be eating at least 2600 calories a day.. You'll still be losinng a steady 2-3 pounds a week. once your reach the 180s things are going to get difficult and thats when you do what you are doing now... you can only lose so much weight in so much time.. believe it or not, many factors tend to slow down your metabolism while dieting, so weight loss will never be the same as on pen and paper.. So Get the hell out of this trying to lose fat as fast as possible mentality, because chances are you won't get a six pack this summer, so make sure your results are permanent by doing things right and not depriving yourself of anything. Cardio is great.. Too much at an early stage of weight loss is inefficient.
Great thing your ready to do a good amount of cardio.. But weights should be your best friend. Cardio is great from going from overweight to average, but going from overweight to lean involves an intense strength training program. good luck with everything..

WeightShifta121
06-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Believe me when I say its a waste of time and effort.

Ive yo yo dieted myself down to 215 pounds and can't get to my precious 180 pound status ... the only true way of doing it is through lifestyle changes that keep that weight off permanently whilst making you feel normal.

Last thing you want is, to lose 15 pounds so quickly, be left looking and feeling the same even though youve lost weight only to go on a binge and put it all back because your mind hasn't catched up with the weight loss ...

Remember this, its all in the head.

If you mind doesn't make you feel good, then doesn't matter what you look like ...

Why do you think their are big guys that walk around like theyve got a six pack? because theyve accepted themselves.

The only way you will accept yourself is if you become healthy for the long term.

407swag
06-15-2010, 05:49 AM

^^^ this

A lot of people on there like to give their expert opinion on stuff they heard. They always
like to assume the worst case so they have something negative to post about what someone else is doing. I've seen it happen to everyone and anyone over the 4 years I've lurked. I wouldnt try what I'm doing if I was lets say, 20% BF trying to lose weight. I agree, not the way to do it.

Breakingtheground: Why would you assume I wasnt going to ease back into increasing my calorie intake? Why would you assume I wasn't going to and would gain the weight back. Instead of posting why it wont work, if you dont have all the fact why not ask questions instead. Wouldnt that be more productive?

I've done the whole 500 calorie deficit a day thing. It works, no question about it. Like I said before, I just had a few lbs to lose and wanted to break a plateau. While i weight 185, a large amount of that weight was bloat. If course the weight I lose isn't all fat.

I ended up not eating anything else last night ... 168lbs upon waking up and its refreshing/motivating to be noticeably more lean than I was yesterday. Today I'll up my calories since I was soooo low yesterday. Aiming for 1000 calories today, 120g of protein ... somewhere around there.

OP, if you think the thread is off topic and want me to start my own thread and get out of yours, I can.

407swag
06-15-2010, 05:56 AM
Last thing you want is, to lose 15 pounds so quickly, be left looking and feeling the same even though youve lost weight only to go on a binge and put it all back because your mind hasn't catched up with the weight loss ...

None of this makes ANY sense

I lost 17lbs off the scale since I started. I DO NOT look and feel the same. I look waaaay more lean and feel much better. I do not feel like I need to binge. If anything this has changed my views on food and I'm looking at it more and more as a energy source and not something that I enjoy which is why I'm sticking to simple, plain, healthy, foods. Not preparing tasty meals.

Revolutionize
06-15-2010, 07:05 AM
I wish people understood starvation mode as perhaps 90 percent of people percieve it doesn't exist the way you think it does, or do you just go around repeating what everyone else says because it sounds right?

Thank you. I hate the "starvation mode" argument. In the semi-starvation study, the adaptive component only consisted of a 15% reduction in metabolism. And that was in LEAN athletes eating at huge deficits. Obviously, over-fat people don't have to worry about this. Your metabolism will go down any time you are on a diet. However, most of that slow down is due to your body weighing less and therefore not needing as many calories. Your metabolism doesn't automatically shut down because you restrict calories.

Enlightenment
06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
^^^ this

A lot of people on there like to give their expert opinion on stuff they heard. They always
like to assume the worst case so they have something negative to post about what someone else is doing. I've seen it happen to everyone and anyone over the 4 years I've lurked. I wouldnt try what I'm doing if I was lets say, 20% BF trying to lose weight. I agree, not the way to do it.

Breakingtheground: Why would you assume I wasnt going to ease back into increasing my calorie intake? Why would you assume I wasn't going to and would gain the weight back. Instead of posting why it wont work, if you dont have all the fact why not ask questions instead. Wouldnt that be more productive?

I've done the whole 500 calorie deficit a day thing. It works, no question about it. Like I said before, I just had a few lbs to lose and wanted to break a plateau. While i weight 185, a large amount of that weight was bloat. If course the weight I lose isn't all fat.

I ended up not eating anything else last night ... 168lbs upon waking up and its refreshing/motivating to be noticeably more lean than I was yesterday. Today I'll up my calories since I was soooo low yesterday. Aiming for 1000 calories today, 120g of protein ... somewhere around there.

OP, if you think the thread is off topic and want me to start my own thread and get out of yours, I can.

best post in the thread

and i laugh at people who say you'll gain it all back once you start eating normally again...what? lol!

407swag
07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Update ..

My weight is currently 160lbs (34 days of cutting so far)

I've eased up on what I eat though I still have 2 days a week where I eat almost nothing. I spent the last two weekends in South Beach and drank A LOT so I'm sure that set me back some. I'm still very pleased with my results. I have started eating out again and just always been going with the healthier choices on the menu and not eating the whole plate. I just eat less of everything else that day to make up for the food likely being more unhealthy than what I make at home.

My workouts have moved to mostly running ... been at the gym 2-3 times a week, MMA 1-2 times, and running 5 nights a week.

I figure I have about 5 lbs more to lose and then I'll just maintain

208-need-175
07-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Umm, alot will be water. Sweet sleave dude.