PDA

View Full Version : Left arm Amputee in need of help

rbtsmith410
06-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I do not know if this is the right forum to be posting in but I will give it a try. At 17 before my car accident in dec 07 I weighed in at 270lbs. I was in the hospital for 2 months and had my left arm amputated from my shoulder down. As I got out of the hospital I weighed in at about 195lbs and could fit in a jean size of 38. As time went on I gained all that weight back and some more. As on now (20) im weighing in at 285 as the scale says. For the next year I want to shed off all this weight and go back down to 195lbs. One problem is that my left boob muscle was removed to help seal a hole in my chest so I don't have muscle there.

My questions are:

What supplements should I be taking?

How many times a week should I be working out?

What diet should I go on?

Since I cant do many of the normal lifting what kind of lifting should I focus on?

If you have any suggestions please tell me, thanks.

BamaBruce
06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
crap man, that sucks! Sorry bro! Honestly, don't know enough to tell you, but good luck, and I hope you learn what you need to and make great gains!

rbtsmith410
06-12-2010, 09:45 PM
crap man, that sucks! Sorry bro! Honestly, don't know enough to tell you, but good luck, and I hope you learn what you need to and make great gains!

BamaBruce
06-12-2010, 09:50 PM
any time. as far as the diet, different stuff works for different people. Low carbs may work well for one, while the simple calorie-based diet may be better for another. you may just want to try different stuff and see what works!

rbtsmith410
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
any time. as far as the diet, different stuff works for different people. Low carbs may work well for one, while the simple calorie-based diet may be better for another. you may just want to try different stuff and see what works!

Thanks for the advice and inspiration! I will search around on the forums for dieting. Thanks again.

BamaBruce
06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
no problem! didn't really think it was too inspiring though, lol

mgalli921
06-12-2010, 11:19 PM
I do not know if this is the right forum to be posting in but I will give it a try. At 17 before my car accident in dec 07 I weighed in at 270lbs. I was in the hospital for 2 months and had my left arm amputated from my shoulder down. As I got out of the hospital I weighed in at about 195lbs and could fit in a jean size of 38. As time went on I gained all that weight back and some more. As on now (20) im weighing in at 285 as the scale says. For the next year I want to shed off all this weight and go back down to 195lbs. One problem is that my left boob muscle was removed to help seal a hole in my chest so I don't have muscle there.

My questions are:

What supplements should I be taking?

How many times a week should I be working out?

What diet should I go on?

Since I cant do many of the normal lifting what kind of lifting should I focus on?

If you have any suggestions please tell me, thanks.

in for amazing progress... we need more people like you in this world.
Supplements, def. a protein, some type of BCAA, and glutamine to start, go from there

5-6 in my opinion
diet is up to you there are a plethora of diets on this board you can try out and see what works best...

I'll be following this one though... best of luck!

sureshk
06-13-2010, 12:23 AM
wow OP, very difficult position to be in, but massive congrats for making the decision to change your life for the better! you seem to have a good attitude, which is really refreshing!

now onto business. to lose fat, you need to eat fewer calories than you use up. The easiest way to ensure this is to keep a food/drink diary for about a week, and religiously log every single thing that enters your mouth. Then calculate (accurately) the calorie intake for each meal/day.

Next step is to calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). This is your BMR x activity level, and I'd ballpark estimate it at around 3500 if you did cardio 5 x a week (although that figure might be wrong). For a more accurate calculation we need your body fat %.

Once you have your TDEE calculated properly, you should aim to eat below that each day - this is the ONLY way to lose weight. Aim for around 500 cals / day deficit (for 1lb / week loss) or 1k / day deficit (2 lb / week loss). The bigger the deficit the quicker you will lose weight, but you run the risk of losing muscle too which is not desirable.

Regards lifting.....kinda difficult as you only have 1 arm, but brilliant that you want to get into the gym. I would probably focus on legs and hit them hard. You should be able to do calves, hams and quads using machines without the use of both arms, and they'll give you some good progress as they are big muscles. You can do chest and arm on the side you still have, but just remember you won't be able to balance the weight so you need to be very careful and definitely get a spotter. The last thing you want is to injure your good side and be out of the gym for a while.

You should also be able to do back extensions using a machine instead of deadlifts to hit your lower back, and using a cable machine could probably do lat pull downs/rows on the good side.

I guess you can do a lot still, but just remember upper body work will most likely produce an imbalanced body as you can't properly work both sides, so it's down to you to choose what to do. If you join a good gym and get a good personal trainer (I'd probably recommend it in your position), they should be able to help you more on the weights.

Supplements - staples are creatine and whey protein (post workout), but honestly they aren't needed. If you get around 1g / lb lean body mass, you should be good. Especially if your lifting is going to be impaired due to only have 1 arm. Personally I've tried a few thermogenics/fat burners, and feel they didn't do a lot with me, so the jury is out on those. Sometimes it can be good to take them just to get a placebo effect, but it's an expensive placebo :) Get a good multi-vitamin and that'll set you up pretty well.

I hope you get on well and wish you every success. Lets hope you can post back on here in 6 months / 1 year and show us a great success story!!

HUG3
06-13-2010, 12:28 AM
lol at the person who told him to get supplements. Dont do it man. Just do cardio and cut down on your food intake. sounds simple right? its not.

_OZ_
06-13-2010, 02:44 AM
Hey there - Maybe I can offer some advice. I am recovering from a spinal injury which causes partial paralysis of my hands. During my rehabilitation I used a weighted vest and resistance bands for some exercises. I'm talking about a 100lb vest and bands that supply up to 300lbs of resistance. Also, I used an Ab Sling attached to low or high cable pulleys to do back, arm and shoulder exercises. Machines with pads instead of handles are also useful. Perhaps you could look into these tools as an option. On fat loss, any diet will make you lose weight if it has you eating less but none will keep it off unless you're willng to eat like that for life. So beware of excessively restrictive diets.

Gusthebus
06-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Wow bro sorry to hear that :( ur a very strong person and I hope the best for u and ur goals dont give up