PDA

View Full Version : Accounting for macros

White.Lightning
06-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Hello all. I am fairly new at this whole dieting ordeal. Through the past year I've been reading here and there trying to grasp the idea. I've gathered what I believe is a good starting meal plan for me. The outline is Alan Aragon's method to calculate the macros I need. In a nutshell, over the course of 6 meals, the macro breakdown is 35g protein/27g carbs/14g fats.

How do you all base you meal plans in terms of macros? Do you look online at fitday.com or read labels of the foods? This would make sure I eat 'xx' ounces of ground beef = '35' grams protein for that specific meal?

The part that has me going nuts is I am becoming overly fixated on what and how much I eat. I have been trying to go food shopping once a week, cook the food for the week, then portion it out daily as needed. I'm sure that once someone gets used to how much of a type of food equals how many grams of that macro, it becomes easier. Then I would know to cook a certain amount of chicken, beef, veggies, etc for the week.

So let me hear what/how you account for your macros. I know the macro breakout I need, I'm just struggling with the portions part

Thanks!!!!

uflcook
06-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Just get macros for a day, don't worry about using each meal as a goal for a specific amount of calories, protein, fat, and carbs. 35g/meal isn't anywhere near as important as the total for the day. Many people eat the majority of a certain macro in the morning, or the evening and such.. I usually just use the nutrition label and if it's not found, google it and compare a few websites.

Trillios
06-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Combination of nutrition facts, fit day, food scale, and simple calculations. I have a list of foods and I pick whatever I want for the next day then just even things out for my macros. I don't even think of it as breakfast/dinner...more like meal 1, meal 2, etc. Portions don't have a set size; it's really whatever you want to make it.

desslok
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
If just starting figure out a couple meals you ca eat every day, such as some oatmeal and eggs. Then find some protein sources that have around 200 calories, such as xx oz of chicken breast, or steak, peanut butter etc. THen you can count by 200 and usually get pretty close to you goal, then fill in with small portions of carbs.

White.Lightning
06-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the replies

Daio
06-08-2010, 03:26 AM
I build up mine on a spreadsheet...again i hit the daily amounts rather than concentrating on each meal...I just space it out sensible thru the day.
I use the labels on food or MUTRIRIONDATA.COM if there is no label.

Hope that helps :)