PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

BigMark89
06-06-2010, 12:03 PM
Hello,

I'm 20 years old, 5'11" and I'm currently 190 lbs. I started my weight loss journey about 1.5 years ago where I started off at 310 lbs. I'm positive that I've been going about my weight loss in the wrong manor and want to get it corrected as soon as possible.

Starting Off:
When I first started losing weight the first thing I did from the start was to cut out all of the soda, sports drinks and coffee. This I agree with and so far as been beneficial to me I believe. I'm currently only drinking water and I can't stand the taste of any other beverage besides water.

I wasn't sure what to do with my diet starting out, so I started off be simply reducing portion sizes. This proved to be somewhat effective, but I quickly learned that if I ate less then I would have bigger results. I started eating less and less and at one point was consuming less than 700 calories a day.

Currently:
I'm still only drinking water and I don't regret this choice at all. I'll have a couple of bottles throughout the day and I'm perfectly fine. I don't have a problem keeping hydrated that's for sure.

Lately with my diet though I've been slipping quite a bit. At one point I was down to 181 lbs, but I'm quickly climbing back up as I'm now 190 lbs. I've struggled over the last year with a lot of personal issues (who hasn't) involving the loss of my family due to a car accident, finding out I have some medical issues of my own along with my own lack of a social life. I haven't really left my house in over three months and I haven't had any communication or friends for as long as I can remember.

The depression is piling up and I keep eating more and more food. I was under the assumption that the more weight you lose that your stomach shrinks in size and you require less to get that feeling of fullness. My stomach is like an endless pit and it seems I'm never actually "full". For example, yesterday I had a subway foot-long sub and I ate the entire sub and wasn't full at all.

I'm getting to this point now though where I don't really care anymore and I'm considering it give it all up. I enjoy eating food and it brings me comfort. Before I use to watch what I eat, now I usually just eat whatever. I tried looking online to find out from people losing weight what to eat, and I tried following what they was doing, but there was no variety though and I quickly grew bored with it. I don't know what to eat that's healthy and I can change it up daily to get something new.

I inherited my parents house that's completely paid off and I really have no bills or anything. I don't have to go out and get a real job and I don't really even need to get a job, but I have an online job out of bordem. It doesn't require a lot of effort, or work because I've wrote everything to pretty much automate itself. I'm bored from the time I wake up until I go to sleep and I think I partly eat as much as I do because I'm so bored. Sometimes I'll just wander downstairs and open the refrigerator simply to see what we have because I'm so bored.

-- Keep reading.. I'm nearly finished. --

I only started to lose weight because I wanted to have a body that I wouldn't be ashamed of and actually looked nice. After losing the weight I already have I've come to find out that really isn't going to happen. I have a bit of loose skin along with really noticeable stretchmarks all over my body and for some reason rather abnormally large nipples which I'm extremely self-conscious about.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I keep telling myself that I'll change my habits tomorrow, and when tomorrow comes I keep doing the same thing. A few people has tried to help me and keep suggesting that I get a membership at a gym, but I don't think I can do that due to self-esteem issues. I've never exerted any effort in front of anybody, not even my family and I don't see how I could go to a gym full of strangers and work hard. I'm nervous about walking into a room with more than three people.

One more thing I wanted to touch on quickly was the exercising and weight training. I've never lifted in my life, or have done any physical activity even such as playing football or basketball. I work online so I'm spending most of my time in a computer chair that's custom-made from a lazy-boy recliner.

When I was losing weight before I would do a fast-walk on a treadmill before for roughly a mile a day. I would try pumping up the speed a bit to a decent jog and I would have to push myself extremely hard to even last 0.10 of a mile. My legs would feel like jello and my head/heart pounding so hard I can hear it. I would get extremely hot and wouldn't cool down until I took a really cold shower. Is that normal? I'm afraid that trying to exercise in an enclosed garage (temperatures is always high in there) that I might be putting myself at risk for a heat-stroke or something similar.

I'm just afraid that I'll overdo it and cause damage to myself or have a heart attack or something. I'm not use to physical exercise and I'm not sure what it really feels like.

--

I have no motivation anymore to do anything and honestly it's taken me quite a bit to even post this. I sometimes feel that it takes a lot of effort for me to even move my arms or legs and I would much rather lay in the same spot. I don't want to be like this anymore, what should I do?

th3pwn3r
06-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Well composed post :D

Anyhow, start training hard with weights get outside and go for walks/runs/jogs/bike rides, whatever. Get some hobbies. The idea is to keep yourself busy so you don't even think about food. Also, I suggest that you no longer buy "junk" food, of course you won't be able to escape it all the time but if you don't buy it and store it at your home you can't eat it when you're there. Start at some caloric level, train all muscle groups and assess as needed based upon results. Good luck.

BigMark89
06-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Well composed post :D

Anyhow, start training hard with weights get outside and go for walks/runs/jogs/bike rides, whatever. Get some hobbies. The idea is to keep yourself busy so you don't even think about food. Also, I suggest that you no longer buy "junk" food, of course you won't be able to escape it all the time but if you don't buy it and store it at your home you can't eat it when you're there. Start at some caloric level, train all muscle groups and assess as needed based upon results. Good luck.

I would like to get started with weight training, but is that really suggested at my current weight? I've been told by somebody that in order to have a well sculpted body that you must lose all of the fat you can before you actually start lifting. He went on to state that if you start lifting while you're already big when you gain the muscle mass you just look big instead of ripped.

I've been planning to go backpacking this summer, I might make it extra long just for the exercise from the hiking. I don't really get outside much because I live in a small town where everybody talks and when it comes down to it I guess I'm just not comfortable working in public. I just don't get along well with other people and I can't stand being criticized and mocked. I understand this is something that most are told to overcome, but for me.. it's just something I can't. As I stated before, I'm nervous just walking into a room with three people.

Getting a hobby would be really nice. It's true that keeping yourself busy keeps your mind off of food. When I'm busy working on a project on my computer I'll usually forget all about food, but I'm hardly ever that busy anymore. I'm not really interested in anything though. I've always told myself "I promise, when I'm not fat anymore I'm going to go out and meet people and do a bunch of stuff.". I'm just not happy with the way I look now and I think that's the reason for my low self-esteem. I'm hoping with a body transformation that I'll be able to overcome that.

I don't usually get much "junk" food, but I usually just tend to overeat on the regular food. I'm not a big fan for sweets or anything like that. The one thing I truly enjoyed before when I was trying to lose weight was eating the low calorie bread. I'm not sure if that stuff is good for you, but with the multi-grain 35 calories a slice.. I figured it was a steal.

I stuck to my diet before (somewhat), but I just don't have the motivation to do it now. Various people has tried to encourage me and even bribe me, I'm just not cracking for some reason. I'm just plain out lazy and I need to figure out something..

rfl1929
06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow man sorry about all that. I would definitely say you should hit the weight room thought. Working out motivates you to eat better and gives you more confidence to go out and make friends and meet people. Also congrats on the original slimming down. Keep it up!

th3pwn3r
06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I would like to get started with weight training, but is that really suggested at my current weight? I've been told by somebody that in order to have a well sculpted body that you must lose all of the fat you can before you actually start lifting. He went on to state that if you start lifting while you're already big when you gain the muscle mass you just look big instead of ripped.

Getting a hobby would be really nice. I'm not really interested in anything though.

I'm just plain out lazy and I need to figure out something..

Don't listen to that somebody, they're borderline retarded. The idea behind weight training is to preserve the muscle mass you do have underneath all the fat. The adage of "Use it or lose it." seems to hold true.

Grow interested in something, the reason you lack interest in things is probably because you haven't tried them. You wouldn't be interested in the foods you enjoy if you never tried them.

Stop being lazy and figure it out. It's alright to be lazy sometimes but if you want to be lazy all the time a physique worth looking at isn't in your cards.

metroins
06-06-2010, 03:07 PM
the3pwn3r gives great advice. Listen to him and you'll succeed. He's 100% right in his previous post...if you don't buy it, you can't eat it.

Gusthebus
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Dude srry for ur problems I know it's tough to stick to a diet but make it more of a lifestyle don't deprive urself from food cuz later ull end up eating tons of it. Chicken is always a healthy food choice for protein u must like chicken start off slow don't rush into things cuz ull end up crash dieting! I done that tryed every diet in the book and none work for me cuz all of them sayer low carbs. I Learned that my body loves carbs so I eat them now 250-300 daily. Now I just stay at a calorie deficit and still lose fat don be embarressed of going to the gym bro I was fat ass **** when I first started but now I'm alot thinner than I use to be. It's all a mind game if u really want it bro u can achieve anything so don't give in. It will pay off in the future

BigMark89
06-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow man sorry about all that. I would definitely say you should hit the weight room thought. Working out motivates you to eat better and gives you more confidence to go out and make friends and meet people. Also congrats on the original slimming down. Keep it up!

Thanks. I'm hoping to build up enough motivation to be able to start lifting. I'm not sure where to start at though.

The original slimming down was quite easy honestly. I felt like I didn't even have to try to lose that weight, but once I cut down quite a bit it grew a lot harder to do.

Don't listen to that somebody, they're borderline retarded. The idea behind weight training is to preserve the muscle mass you do have underneath all the fat. The adage of "Use it or lose it." seems to hold true.

Grow interested in something, the reason you lack interest in things is probably because you haven't tried them. You wouldn't be interested in the foods you enjoy if you never tried them.

Stop being lazy and figure it out. It's alright to be lazy sometimes but if you want to be lazy all the time a physique worth looking at isn't in your cards.

I guess that's what I get for taking advise from somebody that was overweight as well. :( I've never really done anything physical to begin with and after my improper diet from my first attempt, does that mean I'm working with even less muscle now? Sometimes I struggle to do the most simple things..

I'm becoming extremely interested with the outdoors. Fishing and camping/hiking are what I've always been interested in, but have never really done it. I should probably give that a go and see how much hiking and backpacking I can squeeze in. Hopefully that could be of some use to me.

Figuring it myself though isn't something I'm good at. I've always had to have specific instructions, even while in school my teachers had to tell me specifically what to do. I've always relied on other people to tell me what to do. I know what I need to do, but it's actually putting it into action.

TidePride50
06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Join a gym Bro. You'll be able to work on your health goals as well as meet some people and be more social. If you're not sure how or where to get started just find a gym in your town and tell them you need a trainer the first couple of weeks. After that just research and read on the internet anything you need to know. Or heck, pick up a copy of a fitness magazine and start reading.