PDA

View Full Version : NFL - Who are locks for Canton and who are on the Bubble

caj
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Interesting article from nfl.com. Link has detailed discussion on each player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81871a64&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The careers of qb Kurt Warner and left tackle Walter Jones came to an end this offseason, and I believe their bodies of work will get them into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Then again, I also believe TE Shannon Sharpe and WR Cris Carter should be in by now. The longer things linger for these two, the more I wonder what it will take for them to get in.

I asked front office executives, talked with two NFL historians who I respect, took emails from passionate fans, and looked at the current production of 37 present-day players who fall into one of these categories.

Canton bound
1. Brett Favre, QB, Vikings
2. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts
3. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots
4. Ray Lewis, ILB, Ravens
5. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons
6. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, Jets
7. Ed Reed, FS, Ravens

Close, but not confirmed
1. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots
2. Kevin Mawae, C
3. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers
4. Terrell Owens, WR
5. Drew Brees, QB, Saints
6. Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers
7. Charles Woodson, CB, Packers
8. Darren Sharper, FS, Saints
9. Troy Polamalu, SS, Steelers
10. Alan Faneca, G, Cardinals

At this pace, they have a shot
1. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans
2. Brian Urlacher, MLB, Bears
3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings
4. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts
5. Donovan McNabb, QB, Redskins
6. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos
7. Brandon Marshall, WR, Dolphins
8. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Cowboys

May come up short
1. Hines Ward, WR, Steelers
2. Steven Jackson, RB, Rams
3. Steve Smith, WR, Panthers
4. Ronde Barber, CB, Buccaneers
5. James Harrison, OLB, Steelers

ebongo91
06-04-2010, 10:54 AM
lol @ this pace Brian Urlacher. At this pace, he's going to be injured the rest of his life.

Sharper IMO deserves to be in. I think hes just as good as Reed. Big Ben isnt as great as Brady.

caj
06-04-2010, 10:59 AM
May come up short

I was just amazed at these three being on a 'May Come Up Short' list

I thought they'd all be a shoo-in for Canton

cor030
06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
I hate that Steve Smith more than likely won't get in.

Also: Why would Hines come up short? Doesn't he have virtually every receiving record for the Steelers? Not to mention 2 rings and a SB MVP..

IraHays
06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Orlando Pace?

dmoneythegoat
06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
How is Randy Moss close but not confirmed? How is not a lock? And how is Big Ben close? He's only had like 2-3 years where he was good and he's never been in the top tier of quarterbacks. Brees, Brady, and Manning are on a completely different level. You have to be elite at your position to get into the hall.

FLAY
06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Orlando Pace?

retired

IraHays
06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
retired

Sh*t, I need to keep on current(or not so current) events brah....

cor030
06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
How is Randy Moss close but not confirmed? How is not a lock? And how is Big Ben close? He's only had like 2-3 years where he was good and he's never been in the top tier of quarterbacks. Brees, Brady, and Manning are on a completely different level. You have to be elite at your position to get into the hall.

He's been in the league 6 years and has 2 rings.

hatersgonnahate.gif

FlexGunmetal
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Little early for BMarsh. I suspect he will implode after his next suspension. If not, the sky's the limit.

Shannon wasn't a 1st ballot because he's a bronco. Even his stint with Balt couldn't help him. It's really ridiculous.
He will be in next year tho.

Ben's SB rings will get him in if his rapes dont keep him out.

StevenMunn
06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Walter Jones is a lock. That's all that matters to me.

dmoneythegoat

hatersgonnahate.gif

rings aren't the only thing to qualify someone for the hall. Besides he rode the team to the first ring worse than Trent Dilfer did

texanadian
brian dawkins
canton bound

jacketfan
06-04-2010, 11:22 AM
so like half the leagues qb's are going to get in, but only one running back of this generation lol

Big7Ben86
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM

hatersgonnahate.gif

this. his only "bad" year was after he won the first superbowl. aside from bradys 50 TD season, i really dont see him any lower than brady

and i feel like mcnabb wont make it due to critics, unless he does something spectacular in washington

cor030
06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
rings aren't the only thing to qualify someone for the hall. Besides he rode the team to the first ring worse than Trent Dilfer did

Maybe in the actual SB yes, but if I remember correctly he played like a champ throughout the playoffs that year.

Ben in his first SB run - 62.3% Completion %, 803yards, 7TD/3INT, 101.7 QB rating

+ Steelers wouldn't have ring #2 if it wasn't for Ben.

It's okay to dislike the guy, I do. I think he's a straight up jackass off the field, but to deny that he is an elite quarterback(post season play separates the good from the elite) is not right.

buckeyenutz
06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
NFL HOF is a joke.

/thread

FlexGunmetal
06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
so like half the leagues qb's are going to get in, but only one running back of this generation lol

It's a passing league now. Remember the 90s-early 2000s? Emmit, Barry, Terrell, Marshall.

Big7Ben86
06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe in the actual SB yes, but if I remember correctly he played like a champ throughout the playoffs that year.

Ben in his first SB run - 62.3% Completion %, 803yards, 7TD/3INT, 101.7 QB rating

+ Steelers wouldn't have ring #2 if it wasn't for Ben.

It's okay to dislike the guy, I do. I think he's a straight up jackass off the field, but to deny that he is an elite quarterback(post season play separates the good from the elite) is not right.

this. and beat the top 3 seeds

especially the broncos #1 D

o, and made a season saving tackle

Shike
06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Steve Hutchinson - G should be on the close list. He's straight up beast-mode for a guard.

TriangleX
06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Interesting article from nfl.com. Link has detailed discussion on each player.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81871a64&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The careers of qb Kurt Warner and left tackle Walter Jones came to an end this offseason, and I believe their bodies of work will get them into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Then again, I also believe TE Shannon Sharpe and WR Cris Carter should be in by now. The longer things linger for these two, the more I wonder what it will take for them to get in.

I asked front office executives, talked with two NFL historians who I respect, took emails from passionate fans, and looked at the current production of 37 present-day players who fall into one of these categories.

Canton bound
1. Brett Favre, QB, Vikings- Hate him his INT's should be a huge asterisk but ya hes in
2. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts- Duh
3. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots- Based on his early years yea
4. Ray Lewis, ILB, Ravens- Leader of a great D for years
5. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons- Best all time?
6. LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, Jets- Missing a ring but was best RB in his time
7. Ed Reed, FS, Ravens- Debateable needs to finish strong and a ring

Close, but not confirmed
1. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots- needs ring and had some abysmal years
2. Kevin Mawae, C- idk
3. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Steelers- needs numbers
4. Terrell Owens, WR- So many good wide recievers hard to tell
5. Drew Brees, QB, Saints- Needs to keep it up. wants to play into his 40's
6. Antonio Gates, TE, Chargers- Monster
7. Charles Woodson, CB, Packers- see above
8. Darren Sharper, FS, Saints- Hall of fame not good.
9. Troy Polamalu, SS, Steelers see above
10. Alan Faneca, G, Cardinals great run blocker passing always left somethin to be desired

1. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans- Needs to stay on teh field
2. Brian Urlacher, MLB, Bears good not great
3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings- mr fumbilitis is on his way can be omr well rounded
4. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts- as a colts fan im not seeing it
5. Donovan McNabb, QB, Redskins no no no no no
6. Champ Bailey, CB, Broncos shutdown corner for many years may need to retire soon
7. Brandon Marshall, WR, Dolphins- Receptions monster needs to get his head straight
8. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Cowboys- i wouldnt even say has a **** yet

May come up short
1. Hines Ward, WR, Steelers- amazing run blocking wide receiver could have a shot
2. Steven Jackson, RB, Rams- ashame i think he is every bit better than peterson but is in a horrible situation
3. Steve Smith, WR, Panthers- great player but no
5. James Harrison, OLB, Steelers- waaaay short

yup

barracudal
06-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Steve Hutchinson - G should be on the close list. He's straight up beast-mode for a guard.

this.

StevenMunn
06-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Pfft, you wouldnt even have him on your team if it wasnt for our stupid ass GM at the time.

Navillus13
06-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Switch Urlacher with Lance Briggs.

edit: also ed reed and polamalu should be near the same. I dont think reed is a lock yet.

FlexGunmetal
06-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Switch Urlacher with Lance Briggs.

edit: also ed reed and polamalu should be near the same. I dont think reed is a lock yet.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2n0lj6c.gif

SpartacusJones
06-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Moss and Owens will get in (probably first ballot). They will go down as statistically the 2nd and 3rd best WR ever.

Navillus13
06-04-2010, 11:43 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2n0lj6c.gif

Briggs has 5 pro bowl selections by age 29.. urlacher has 6 at age 32.

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Owens is a for sure in. Doubt his antics keep him out

FlexGunmetal
06-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Briggs plays outside, twice as many chances to get to the pro-bowl. Urlacher was the heart of good bears teams completely devoid of offense.
Briggs may be a better player at his position, but he wont get voted in over urlacher unless Briggs plays out of control for the next 5 or so years he has left and urlacher continues to be hurt.
He's way more recognizable as the face of the bears defense. HOF is based on rep the same as the pro-bowl.
Not saying he isn't a good player, but he wont go in over urlacher.

thegenerel
06-04-2010, 11:53 AM

yea, not sure how Reed is a lock and Troy isnt. they are equal talents, but its 2-0 in terms of rings.

DrunkNinjaMastr
06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Never mind

DrunkNinjaMastr
06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
yea, not sure how Reed is a lock and Troy isnt. they are equal talents, but its 2-0 in terms of rings.

Yeah, because Super Bowl rings should defenitely be a determining factor for safeties.

They are pretty similar in most statistics except for a few big ones

Int's
Ed Reed - 46
Troy Polamalu - 20

Int Yards
Ed Reed - 1255
Troy Polamalu - 227

Def Touchdowns
Ed Reed - 8
Troy Polamalu - 2

This clearly puts Reed over Troy Polamalu, even with Ed Reed's extra year in the league over Troy. There really isn't any statistic where Troy dominates over Reed.

ebongo91
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM

yes but you're crazy if you think Briggs is going to make it to the HOF. Compare Briggs to Ray Lewis. Hes good, but not great

Navillus13
06-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, because Super Bowl rings should defenitely be a determining factor for safeties.

They are pretty similar in most statistics except for a few big ones

Int's
Ed Reed - 46
Troy Polamalu - 20

Int Yards
Ed Reed - 1255
Troy Polamalu - 227

Def Touchdowns
Ed Reed - 8
Troy Polamalu - 2

This clearly puts Reed over Troy Polamalu, even with Ed Reed's extra year in the league over Troy. There really isn't any statistic where Troy dominates over Reed.

Reed plays free safety, Polamalu plays Strong Safety. huge difference in comparing INTs. Polamalu has almost the same amount of tackles and is 2 years younger.

yes but you're crazy if you think Briggs is going to make it to the HOF. Compare Briggs to Ray Lewis. Hes good, but not great

I never said Briggs WILL make it, I said to just put him over Urlacher. Obviously neither are up to Ray Lewis caliber. Who said that?

n1e
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Reed plays free safety, Polamalu plays Strong Safety. huge difference in comparing INTs. Polamalu has almost the same amount of tackles and is 2 years younger.

I never said Briggs WILL make it, I said to just put him over Urlacher. Obviously neither are up to Ray Lewis caliber. Who said that?

2 different positions but they basically play the same role, which is roam the field

although TP plays SS, he is basically a FS

Navillus13
06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
2 different positions but they basically play the same role, which is roam the field

yah dont get me wrong.. I kind of hate Polamalu.. I think he plays stupidly and will probably end up mentally handicapped. Ed Reed is not a lock *yet*

DrunkNinjaMastr
06-04-2010, 12:37 PM

Ed Reed came into the league in the 2002 season, and Troy P arrived in the 2003 season. Ed Reed only has 1 year on Troy in the league and they are comparable in most stats, except for the stats I listed above, in which Ed Reed absolutely owns Troy Polamalu. Since Troy Polamalu plays SS and Reed plays FS, by your logic, shouldn't Polamalu dominate in stats such as tackles, sacks, and possibly even forced fumbles. He doesn't dominate Reed in any statistic whatsoever.

Edit - I don't think Reed is necessarily a lock yet, I just think he makes a better case than Polamalu at this point. If Reed has one more dominant season, he is a lock.

Shangius
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
yah dont get me wrong.. I kind of hate Polamalu.. I think he plays stupidly and will probably end up mentally handicapped. Ed Reed is not a lock *yet*

Wow. There are people that hate Troy Polamalu?

Dude is awesome both on and off the field.

SteezeFactory
06-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I like how BMarsh and Andre Johnson are on the list but Fitz isn't. It's not like he puts up big regular season stats and holds the NFL record for most receiving yards in a single playoff run...

Messiahtype
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Jesus Christ. Randy Moss not a lock? WTF?

In:

Favre
P. Manning
LdT
Brady
Walter Jones(I know he just retired)
Moss
Owens
Ray Lewis
Reed
Polamalu
Gonzo

On the bubble:

Jason Taylor
Zach Thomas
Torry Holt
Ronde Barber
Hines Ward
Kevin Mawae
Reggie Wayne
Chad Johnson

On their way for sure but wouldn't go if they retired today:

Breesus
Big Ben(assuming no more rapes)
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald

How the fcuk would anyone think Randy Moss isn't in?

10th all time in receptions. Will be 8th after this season.
6th all time in receiving yards. Will be 3rd after this season.
2nd all time in receiving touchdowns.
4th all time in total touchdowns.

Yeah. He's on the bubble. Riggggggghhhht.

Onita
06-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Yes. We are called Browns fans. ;)

He's a badass player though, and can make some real exciting plays.

Navillus13
06-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Yah... I hate him because he's pretty good...one of the scarier safeties to play against. Plus I think long hair like that is phaggy-time. And he seriously will have mental issues because of the concussions.

TheDude1987
06-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Interesting list but I'd say there are a lot of things wrong with it. The most glaring being the exclusion of Fitz, especially when they included Brandon Marshall.

SpartacusJones
06-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I think adam vinatieri will get in too.

xzp
06-04-2010, 01:17 PM
No Asomugha? Even being mentioned? lolwut. :( (I know he's old and just in his prime..)

But yeah, Moss is a lock for the HOF, regardless of his attitude. Hell, if he shows up to every pc naked he'd still be a lock regardless of his attitude.

Honestly, I dont see Urlacher making it. He's been good, but not the impact Lewis has had. No ring, and he's fallen off the radar so badly recently..there's no way he maes it in. (Unless of course, he has 3-4 years of 150 tackles and a ring left in him)

kethnaab
06-04-2010, 01:22 PM

itt, people expose themselves as haters or extremely ignorant

NewYorkMets
06-04-2010, 01:29 PM
the only other qb to win 2 super bowls and not be in the hall is jim plunkett and a lot of people believe he should be in. big ben is well on his way to canton, especially if he stays in pittsburgh where they will always have a solid team.

Nodice123
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Before anyone else is discussed Steve Tasker needs to be voted in

Sick96stang
06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
How is Champ Bailey only on pace... a lot consider him to be a top 5 CB ever and if he's not top 5 he's definiltey top 10. At worst he should be close but not confirmed.

Shangius
06-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Yah... I hate him because he's pretty good...one of the scarier safeties to play against. Plus I think long hair like that is phaggy-time. And he seriously will have mental issues because of the concussions.

He has that long hair as tribute to his Polynesian heritage.

iamgenus
06-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Canton bound
7. Ed Reed, FS, Ravens

Close, but not confirmed
2. Kevin Mawae, C
4. Terrell Owens, WR

May come up short

Moss, Owens and Faneca imo are in at this point. Sharper is also very close.

Brian Urlacher has no business being on this list. He hasn't been close to his previous production in a good 3 years.

FlexGunmetal
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
How is Champ Bailey only on pace... a lot consider him to be a top 5 CB ever and if he's not top 5 he's definiltey top 10. At worst he should be close but not confirmed.

He's been to more pro bowls than any other corner IIRC.

4 more picks for 50. Unless he totally fizzes out over the next couple years, he's a lock.
Except he's a Bronco, so it's up in the air.

caj
06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Surprised that Larry Fitzgerald wasn't on the list. His name has to come up in conversation, even if it's 'Maybe Later'.

N.W.A
06-04-2010, 04:01 PM
lol at Ronde barber and Big Ben.

and LOL @ reggie wayne being before Fitz

Garnett
06-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Jesus Christ. Randy Moss not a lock? WTF?

How the fcuk would anyone think Randy Moss isn't in?

10th all time in receptions. Will be 8th after this season.
6th all time in receiving yards. Will be 3rd after this season.
2nd all time in receiving touchdowns.
4th all time in total touchdowns.

Yeah. He's on the bubble. Riggggggghhhht.

I agree with you, BUT the fact Cris Carter isn't in yet says A LOT about what the Hall is thinking in terms of WR's. I can't for the life of me understand how he wasn't 1st ballot let alone didn't make it in year 2.

jcbrowns
06-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Moss and Owens will get in (probably first ballot). They will go down as statistically the 2nd and 3rd best WR ever.

Not first ballot. No way in hell. Too many character issues.

ajn
06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
couple problems with this list..

Big Ben is not "close".. his career is taking a turn for the worst.
Hines Ward is a lock
Champ Bailey is a mortal lock

wsuwarrior
06-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Randy Moss is a LOCK for the hall of fame...

I dont know why they have Reed as a lock...he is good but HOF, eh.

tmc.
06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Tomlinson is a fringe HoFer.

Nerrg
06-04-2010, 06:56 PM
It's hard for DBs to get in the HOF so I wouldn't say any of those guys are a lock even if they are HOF-talent

989sports
06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Canton bound
7. Ed Reed, FS, Ravens

Close, but not confirmed
2. Kevin Mawae, C
4. Terrell Owens, WR

May come up short

I'd say Mawae and Moss are pretty much locks. Many of the names in the bottom two lists have no business even being in contention for a spot in the HOF.

ajn
06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I dont know why they have Reed as a lock...he is good but HOF, eh.
LOL are you a Steelers fan? Ed Reed is definitely a lock dude. Ronnie Lott said himself that Reed is the greatest safety of all time.

6 All-Pro selections, a DPOY, and one of the most exciting players ever with the ball in his hands. He is a likely first ballot HOFer.

cramron
06-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I just ate 2 poptarts, will it retard my diet?

iamgenus
06-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Not first ballot. No way in hell. Too many character issues.

You mean like Lawrence Taylor? Michael Irvin?

NFL HOF isn't one to really keep people out due to character issues.

You can't argue with their numbers. Moss has also been quiet last few years and TO has no issues outside of opening up his mouth.

BrawnySwoleman
06-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Owens and Moss are in, no question.

Garnett
06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
You can't argue with their numbers. Moss has also been quiet last few years and TO has no issues outside of opening up his mouth.

Then please explain how Cris Carter isn't in yet? Imo, CC was a 1st ballot guy. So I'm really skeptical about WR's currently. I don't know what the Hall wants for that position sometimes.

justin8684
06-05-2010, 09:05 AM
LMAO at Moss being in the same class as Roethlisberger as "close". If Roethlisberger is "close" to being a Hall of Famer then they need to re-name the damn league after Moss.

markusjj85
06-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Strong lack of Marvin Harrison in this discussion

robogain
06-05-2010, 10:05 AM
moss is a lock

Garnett
06-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Cris Carter - Not Elected Yet
1101 Receptions, 13,899 yards, 130 TDs

Marvin Harrison -
1102 Receptions, 14,580 yards, 128 TDs

Randy Moss -
926 Receptions, 14,465 yards, 148 TDs

Terrel Owens -
1006 Receptions, 14,951 yards, 144 TDs

None of the last 3 had anything more significant than Cris Carter at the time of his retirement and he's not elected yet. I thought he was a gauranteed 1sst ballot guy. To say Moss, or anyone else is a lock isn't true by the Hall's standards currently.

21Classic
06-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Larry Fitzgerald should be in the "At this Pace" category

Been #1 or #2 WR in the LEague since his draft, always with Andre (whome is on the list)

Dude has been in the game for a fraction of some of these other guys and hes already got some pretty comparable numbers.

Boldin should be considered. He owns a few WR records.

theACEofSPADES
06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Moss and Owens are Canton bound

Sean_A_Nitro
06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
T.O. and Moss are locks. James Harrison doesnt have a prayer and thats comin from a Steeler fan. Champ Bailey should be bumped up to the close category. No Isaac Bruce on the list, is he technically retired? And if you're gonna put young guys like Adrian Peterson on there then you have to put Darelle Revis too.

Fastforward7
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
How is Champ Bailey not a lock?

JuicintheJuice
06-05-2010, 02:08 PM
how are owens and moss not locks?

Erik2806
06-05-2010, 02:09 PM
woodson will DEFINITELY be in

iamgenus
06-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Marvin Harrison -

Randy Moss -

Terrel Owens -

None of the last 3 had anything more significant than Cris Carter at the time of his retirement and he's not elected yet. I thought he was a gauranteed 1sst ballot guy. To say Moss, or anyone else is a lock isn't true by the Hall's standards currently.

Carter was more of a compiler and a move the chains type of receiver. Moss and Owens are big time playmakers who have put up some godly numbers in their careers and at least in the case of Moss are still playing. Their TD numbers speak volumes compared to how many completions they have.

Carter played 16 years
Moss is heading into year 13
Owens played 14 years

Personally I think at some point all 3 will get in but Carter is just getting hurt by all the greats who are becoming eligible recently.

iamgenus
06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
woodson will DEFINITELY be in

Definitely? I think not. I think he'll get in but he's not a lock by any stretch. His career started pretty well and he's picking things up again with Green Bay but for a little while there he was overrated as phuck.

miketheblade
06-05-2010, 02:28 PM
brian dawkins
canton bound

This

Erik2806
06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
just curious cuz i dont think i saw his name..but whats everyones thoughts on john lynch? feel like hes no sure bet by any means but definitely worthy of consideration

Garnett
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Personally I think at some point all 3 will get in but Carter is just getting hurt by all the greats who are becoming eligible recently.

I don't know, it took Monk (who was way more of a compiler and chain mover than Carter) 15 years or so to be elected. We'll see what happens, but if it were up to me, all 4 of them would be (have been) 1st ballot guys.

fromoe
06-05-2010, 03:01 PM
just curious cuz i dont think i saw his name..but whats everyones thoughts on john lynch? feel like hes no sure bet by any means but definitely worthy of consideration

not a current player = not on list

imo, no chance for lynch

21Classic
06-05-2010, 03:12 PM
not a current player = not on list

imo, no chance for lynch

Lynch doesnt have the numbers but he has the reputation

Like saying how to Offensive lineman make the HOF? They have virtually Zero stats other than their reputation for being good lineman.

Lynch was a safety and so he does have INT's and Sacks and Tackles to his record. They just may not be HOF numbers.

But he does have the rep of being one of the hardest hitting guys to ever step on the field, ever. In the game of football, id say thats a pretty substantial title, one deserving of the HOF

beepbeep
06-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Also: Why would Hines come up short? Doesn't he have virtually every receiving record for the Steelers? Not to mention 2 rings and a SB MVP..
I'd be surprised if he gets in, tbh. He's the type of player who is very good for a long time but is never considered one of the true top receivers in the league at any point in his career (2002 was his only "elite" year, really)

Those types of players rarely make the HoF. Its the same reason Derrick Mason won't make it.

JBevan
06-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Its early in his career but Chris Johnson should probably be put in the "At this pace" category

baseball_player
06-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Are we going to act like Brian Dawkins isn't Canton bound

wsuwarrior
06-05-2010, 05:24 PM
LOL are you a Steelers fan? Ed Reed is definitely a lock dude. Ronnie Lott said himself that Reed is the greatest safety of all time.

6 All-Pro selections, a DPOY, and one of the most exciting players ever with the ball in his hands. He is a likely first ballot HOFer.

I bet he isnt.

Ace50
06-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Marvin Harrison -

Randy Moss -

Terrel Owens -

Moss and Owens still have have a few good years left in them and can definitely increase their stats and their chances with good showings. They look like locks to me.

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Strong lack of Marvin Harrison in this discussion

its for active players only i believe

Gizmo
06-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Walter Jones is a lock...where is he!

*EDIT*....hmmm..active players only maybe?

iamgenus
06-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Its early in his career but Chris Johnson should probably be put in the "At this pace" category

It is way too early. Lots of guys you can do that too...hell at this point Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing are HOF locks "at this pace"

kethnaab
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Tomlinson is a fringe HoFer.

if by "fringe" you mean "fringe 1st ballot HoF who will get 100% of the vote" then yes, he is "fringe"

I'd say Mawae and Moss are pretty much locks.

don't be so sure. Mawae especially. Dermontti Dawson still isn't in yet and he was, easily, the most dominant OC since the 70s along with Dwight Stephenson. The Hall discriminates against OL, plain and sipmle.

Boldin should be considered. He owns a few WR records.

not even close. Fitzy should end up in there tho

Are we going to act like Brian Dawkins isn't Canton bound

he probably isn't. The Hall is notoriously strict with their allowance of DBs. I don't think Reed OR Polamalu are locks, and Darren Sharper damn sure isn't. Whether they "deserve" it or not, there are a lot of players in the HoF who probably don't "deserve" it and a damn large # of players who AREN'T in yet DO belong.

Unless something substantial changes in the next few years, neither Moss nor TO will make it as first ballot

baseball_player
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
he probably isn't. The Hall is notoriously strict with their allowance of DBs. I don't think Reed OR Polamalu are locks, and Darren Sharper damn sure isn't. Whether they "deserve" it or not, there are a lot of players in the HoF who probably don't "deserve" it and a damn large # of players who AREN'T in yet DO belong.

Unless something substantial changes in the next few years, neither Moss nor TO will make it as first ballot

I'm going to have to disagree with you here

caj
07-06-2010, 01:25 PM
It'll be interesting to come back to this thread and see how many - if any - of the views change after another season of football

Cannot wait for football to start again.

ryan36_1
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Glad that it has been mention by multiple posters that it is a joke that CC isn't in yet. Name one eligible WR that deserves to be in more not named Rice.

bustermac
07-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Clinton Portis is in the "close but not confirmed" or "at this pace..." categories.

Will become Redskins all-time rusher this year, passing Riggins, and will go over 10,000 yards for his career. Will also pass Earl Campbell before Week 4 and will end up in the Top 25 all time in yards.

Currently at 9,202 yards rushing, 11,659 AP yards with 78 TDs.

He's gone over 1,200 yards in 6 of his 8 seasons...over 1,500 3 times.

He's even passed for 3 TDs and has a 116.0 career QB rating. :D

With Larry Johnson backing him up this year and taking 3rd down runs from him, it could extend his career a couple of seasons. Plus, now he has a real offensive line and Mike Shanahan as his coach...should be a career-resurrection after a tough year in 2009.