PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 to invite 6 Big-12 teams to join conference

Cannon22
06-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Teams would include Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado. Heres the link: http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

Cannon22
06-03-2010, 01:31 PM
It would be a pretty sick football conference, but Im not that into 16 team conferences. I think 12 is perfect, with 16 too many teams dont play eachother.

SwagMorris
06-03-2010, 01:39 PM
4 16 team conferences is inevitable. All signs point to that.

EMAW
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Maybe I'm completely novice in thought here, but why is everybody trying to expand? The big 12 is a fantastic and competitive conference, why are we changing that? If the pac-10 wants to expand and pick up teams like Boise, BYU, Utah, than go for it, but why are we tearing apart conferences?

Tes45
06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
They should invite Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Boise State, BYU, and Utah

SwagMorris
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I've been feeling lately that Utah, BYU, CU, KU, KSU and someone else would join the PAC 10. The other big 12 schools would join the big 11, and SEC. SEC would basically become an even bigger football conference with UT and OU. Then the ACC would get UConn and the likes from the BE to become a super basketball conference.

jump_man23
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM

BYU will never be a pac-10 school because of religious affiliation and they never play sunday games

Boise doesnt have the academics

SwagMorris
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM

I've heard Boise States academics aren't good enough for the Pac 10. Whether this is true or not I don't know.

yott
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
BYU will never be a pac-10 school because of religious affiliation and they never play sunday games

Boise doesnt have the academics

plus byu is a non-research school.

earl33
06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
As an Oklahoma State fan, this would be fantastic...I don't care where we go as long as we are with Texas and OU, but going to the Pac-10 would be my number one choice.

EMAW
06-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I've been feeling lately that Utah, BYU, CU, KU, KSU and someone else would join the PAC 10. The other big 12 schools would join the big 11, and SEC. SEC would basically become an even bigger football conference with UT and OU. Then the ACC would get UConn and the likes from the BE to become a super basketball conference.

I'd love to see my wildcats take a crack at u$c every year, but it really doesn't make sense. The time difference may have an impact on a tv deal. Plus, for smaller sports, the travel costs would be a lot higher.

Plus, I just don't see KANSAS state in the PACIFIC 10 haha

FLAY
06-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Maybe I'm completely novice in thought here, but why is everybody trying to expand? The big 12 is a fantastic and competitive conference, why are we changing that? If the pac-10 wants to expand and pick up teams like Boise, BYU, Utah, than go for it, but why are we tearing apart conferences?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SneadAGs
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM

They won't take Texas without Texas A&M and vice versa, they won't break up that rivalry.

2pacalypto
06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
absolutely retarded

the pac-10 is a class conference and has a reputation for strong academics. now these lowlife trailer park from the south are gonna **** it all up

Shangius
06-03-2010, 04:02 PM
It's all about dat dere $$$$$$$

Horns3
06-03-2010, 04:09 PM
absolutely retarded

the pac-10 is a class conference and has a reputation for strong academics. now these lowlife trailer park from the south are gonna **** it all up
Birgeneau said that expansion is a real possibility in the near future, and that the Pac-10 is seriously considering "a couple of schools, at least one of which meets the academic standards of the rest of the Pac-10."

Texas and TAMU fit in perfect

EMAW
06-03-2010, 04:10 PM
absolutely retarded

Trailer park schools? You realize that with the exception of maybe tech, those are all very good schools?

FLAY
06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
absolutely retarded

I forgot the academic powerhouses Oregon and ASU.

in b4 FSU. One point away from top 100 fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Shangius
06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Trailer park schools? You realize that with the exception of maybe tech, those are all very good schools?

and Tech is probably better than ASU

tmc.
06-03-2010, 04:15 PM
so gay, I'm all for Pac-10 and Big Ten becoming 12 team conferences but more than that it just becomes stupid

Masstastic
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Why they wanna **** up dat dere Big 12 Conference

mtomjr14
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
u guise think Texas would go to the pac 10 over the SEC?

EMAW
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
u guise think Texas would go to the pac 10 over the SEC?

doubtful.

marathonman2
06-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I've heard Texas A&M is considering the SEC.

Texas, I read, won't join the SEC because the academics aren't up to their standard.

======

The Big 10 is really screwing up the college landscape. Missouri and Nebraska will jump ship right when offered. This in turn will motivate Colorado to move to the Pac-10. With these guys gone, I imagine TAMU will jump to the SEC.

I wonder what will happen with the rest of the teams. I can't see OU, OSU, Texas, etc, joining the Pac-10. Maybe they'd form a new conference?

tmc.
06-03-2010, 04:35 PM

Texas, I read, won't join the SEC because the academics aren't up to their standard.

======

The Big 10 is really screwing up the college landscape. Missouri and Nebraska will jump ship right when offered. This in turn will motivate Colorado to move to the Pac-10. With these guys gone, I imagine TAMU will jump to the SEC.

I wonder what will happen with the rest of the teams. I can't see OU, OSU, Texas, etc, joining the Pac-10. Maybe they'd form a new conference?

lol at all these schools posturing about academics

Horns3
06-03-2010, 04:37 PM

======

i bet anything that if texas joins pac 10 then tamu will follow, sec is talking to tamu though

marathonman2
06-03-2010, 04:41 PM
i bet anything that if texas joins pac 10 then tamu will follow, sec is talking to tamu though

Here's the quote from several news articles today.

Aggies athletic director Bill Byrne spoke at the Big 12 meetings about the option of joining the SEC if the Big 12 breaks apart.

"It might be,'' Byrne said, pausing. "You know what? It might be.''

But like you said, I can't image Texas and TAMU leaving one another.

FLAY
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM

There is no difference between the SEC and Big 12 academically. The top academic conferences are the big 10, acc, and pac 10.

mtomjr14
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
But like you said, I can't image Texas and TAMU leaving one another.

why?

it's not like they still couldnt play each other every year just bc they arent in the same conference...ex) FL-fsu

theshad31
06-03-2010, 04:48 PM
wtf colorado in the pac 10 sounds retarded...money hungry retards...

FLAY
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
wtf colorado in the pac 10 sounds retarded...money hungry retards...

From my understanding Colorado has a huge alumni base on the west coast. They have been very active in trying to move to the pac-10. Even if the other schools turn the offer down Colorado may still go.

Horns3
06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
tamu's still gon get dat ass spanked no matter what they do

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
lol at Big 10 and Pac 10 both offering other conferences to try and get better than the SEC(kinda srs)

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
wait a sec. lets just say in theory that all 6 teams did join. And Nebraska and Mizzou really did join the Big 10. WTF would happen to the other teams left in the big 12

EMAW
06-03-2010, 05:25 PM
wait a sec. lets just say in theory that all 6 teams did join. And Nebraska and Mizzou really did join the Big 10. WTF would happen to the other teams left in the big 12

Most of them would join the mountain west. KU would try and go independent because they think that they're "elite" or some bullspit like that.

PatrickBateman1
06-03-2010, 05:55 PM
This is just turning into one big clusterf*ck.

I'm gonna make a thread with my proposed conferences... we'll see how it goes.

sellihca
06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
i jizz mah pants

b3rtstare
06-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Eh, I would be open to Texas joining the Pac 10. I'd very much rather Texas go to the Pac 10 than the Big 10. I would be pissed if Texas joined the Big 11 though.

=T Bone=
06-03-2010, 07:57 PM
lol at Big 10 and Pac 10 both offering other conferences to try and get better than the SEC(kinda srs)

lulz no matter who brings in who the Sec is still gonna be dominating.

cheerupemokid
06-03-2010, 08:46 PM

$$$$$

The big 10 is making a killing with its network. A big 12 network would not be viable because of the lack of major markets (the big ten has chicago and philly markets), and how small the kansas and oklahoma markets.

A pac 10 network would be more viable with more schools.

Plus, with "super conferences" the schools have more bargaining power with the tv networks.

jump_man23
06-03-2010, 08:51 PM

good joke

batman15
06-03-2010, 08:56 PM
doesn't "PAC" mean Pacific...as in Pacific Ocean? I fail to see how Oklahoma and Texas would be included in that...

MenTaLPiRacY
06-03-2010, 09:15 PM

======

Being from lubbock and being a Tech fan this is kinda flattering that all the other conferences want to cherry pick our big 12. What they dont know is Tuberville is creating a monster under everyones noses here at tech and within the next few years Tech will be the school to beat in the big 12. Yes i was upset with Mike Leach getting fired, but who wouldnt be? The mentality here is quit being a pussy and having your daddy fend for you, be a man and fight your own fight. That is why everyone was pissed about the situation. Now that Tuberville has come along it has calmed everyone down cuz Tuberville is a class act, a proven winner while with Auburn and there are swirlings that Texas Tech and Alabama will set up a agreement to play every year Tuberville is coach due to Tuberville defeating the Tide 6 consecutive years in a row at Auburn.

doesn't "PAC" mean Pacific...as in Pacific Ocean? I fail to see how Oklahoma and Texas would be included in that...
That is the concern most fans have. For a majority, the confrences are set up very well by region. I would like to see how easy it is for Texas fans to be traveling to the north east alot during football season if they did join the big 10. It will be expensive and IMO not worth moving to that conference. At least with the big 12, all their big games with OU, OSU A&M and Tech are less than a 5 hour drive.

MenTaLPiRacY
06-03-2010, 09:31 PM

as for this.. I wouldnt mind seeing Nebraska, Mizzou, Colorado and KSU leaving.. This means we can bring in BYU, Houston, TCU and possibly Arkasas, from what i hear on local radio is considering a move back to the big 12 to kindle some rivalries from the South West Conference. Right now the big 12 North is the division coaches would want to be in, the Big 12 south is a nightmare.

sellihca
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM

notsureifserious.jpg

PAC-10 = Pacific Athletic Conference

Gorilla99
06-03-2010, 09:48 PM
lol SEC with OU and UT is just way too strong

KingCanuck
06-03-2010, 10:09 PM

i lol'd

batman15
06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
notsureifserious.jpg

PAC-10 = Pacific Athletic Conference

ok...just checking...

Phaggot.

Shangius
06-03-2010, 10:33 PM

they said they would rename the conference.

bmy-
06-03-2010, 10:37 PM
SEC will raid the east coast if this happens. Maybe grab Texas A&M and roll on to grab Miami, Georgia Tech, and 1-2 of UNC, WVU, or Virginia Tech.

SEC West:
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Miss St

SEC East:
Georgia
Florida
Miami
Tenn.
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Kentucky (or WVU, bump Kentucky to leftovers of ACC/Big East)
Vanderbilt (I'd love to bump them out)

7 Divisional games, 1 opposite permanent rival, 3 rotating opponents, 1 BYE week. No OOC play until bowl games :( SEC champ goes into a +1 bowl system. Max of 15 games per season. (12 reg season, 1 conference champ, 1 BCS bowl, +1 championship game)

sellihca
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
ok...just checking...

Phaggot.

you are moron. the "PAC" in PAC-10 isn't short for Pacific which is what you were saying.

batman15
06-03-2010, 10:47 PM
you are moron. the "PAC" in PAC-10 isn't short for Pacific which is what you were saying.

wait, you're telling me what I was saying? That's cool. Not like I would know I meant. Since, afterall, I am the one who said it.

Go suck a nail out of a tire. Phaggot.

tnel00
06-03-2010, 11:01 PM
This is how i see the 4, 16 team conferences shaping out:

Big 10:
Illinois
Indiana
NW
Ohio St.
PSU
PU
Minn
Wisc
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan St.
Nebraska
Mizzouri
Rutgers
ND
Pitt

ACC:
Duke
Clemson
UNC
VA
VT
MD
GT
Wake
NC ST
FSU
BC
Miami
UConn
Cuse
Louisville
WVA

Pac-10
UCLA
USC
Ariz
ASU
Ore
Ore St.
UW
WSU
Stan
Cal
CU
Utah
Fresno St.
Boise St.
KSU
Kansas

SEC:
UF
UGA
LSU
Tenn
Aub
Ark
Ala
UK
SC
Vand
Miss
Miss St.
Texas
Tex A&M
OU
OSU

I could then see Conference USA make a push for ISU, USF, Cinncinnatti, Baylor/TT to make a 5th 16 team conference

SwagMorris
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
^^^^
looks good IMO

MenTaLPiRacY
06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
SEC will raid the east coast if this happens. Maybe grab Texas A&M and roll on to grab Miami, Georgia Tech, and 1-2 of UNC, WVU, or Virginia Tech.

SEC West:
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Miss St

SEC East:
Georgia
Florida
Miami
Tenn.
Georgia Tech
South Carolina

7 Divisional games, 1 opposite permanent rival, 3 rotating opponents, 1 BYE week. No OOC play until bowl games :( SEC champ goes into a +1 bowl system. Max of 15 games per season. (12 reg season, 1 conference champ, 1 BCS bowl, +1 championship game)
Texas and A&M wont split up dude.

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-03-2010, 11:56 PM

SEC West:
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
LSU
Auburn
Alabama
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Miss St

SEC East:
Georgia
Florida
Miami
Tenn.
Georgia Tech
South Carolina

Meh I doubt it would be Miami TBH. If anything I bet Clemson would come on instead.

Mafiafolife77
06-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Not really a matter of "getting better" than the SEC. No doubt that's part of it, gotta keep being competitive with top athletic conferences, however it should be pretty simple to see that expansion is not just an interest of the Pac-10. We have heard expansion talks among almost all major conferences since last season ended. So I would think the incentive to expand has mostly to do with the current postseason system.

lol if the proposed expansion actually went through, in no way would the SEC would still be "dominating" unless they, too, expanded. No matter which conference expands first, you can bet your ass that the other conferences will follow suit shortly afterwards.

NoS_oUtLaSt
06-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Not really a matter of "getting better" than the SEC. No doubt that's part of it, gotta keep being competitive with top athletic conferences, however it should be pretty simple to see that expansion is not just an interest of the Pac-10. We have heard expansion talks among almost all major conferences since last season ended. So I would think the incentive to expand has mostly to do with the current postseason system.

lol if the proposed expansion actually went through, in no way would the SEC would still be "dominating" unless they, too, expanded. No matter which conference expands first, you can bet your ass that the other conferences will follow suit shortly afterwards.

I would actually like to see it expanded but I fear with more expansion means less OOC competition until bowl season. However 4 BCS Conferences with 16 teams each would defintely set up for a real nice national championship tournament. And if that were to come from all these super conferences then I am all for it

bmy-
06-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Texas and A&M wont split up dude.

Why not? They could still have a permanent rivalry if OOC opponents were scheduled. Besides, the A&M vs Texas rivalry is so overrated it's not even funny. It's a completely one sided battle, etc.

A&M would do very well to get out of UTs shadow. They're considering the SEC btw, while UT claims not to be.

sellihca
06-04-2010, 12:33 AM
wait, you're telling me what I was saying? That's cool. Not like I would know I meant. Since, afterall, I am the one who said it.

Go suck a nail out of a tire. Phaggot.

you sure are a tough guy on the internet lol

MenTaLPiRacY
06-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Why not? They could still have a permanent rivalry if OOC opponents were scheduled. Besides, the A&M vs Texas rivalry is so overrated it's not even funny. It's a completely one sided battle, etc.

A&M would do very well to get out of UTs shadow. They're considering the SEC btw, while UT claims not to be.

Yeah the rivalry is not really competitive these days i agree on that, but back when the big 12 started Texas and A&M agreed to stay together and where ever they went Baylor and Tech were to follow suite.. but these days with politics and money involved i doubt baylor or tech would get that opportunity, but a&m would have 2. btw, with all this conference shifting i learned this from a espn radio analyst lol.

kyleTX
06-04-2010, 12:48 AM

it's 2-2 in the last 4 years, you don't follow the big 12, pls stfu now.

95zj
06-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Bring back the SWC!

SwagMorris
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Anybody have a clue to when this expansion stuff is gonna actually happen outside the the big ten adding at least one team after this season? I'm ready to just find out what all te conferences do and get on with it.

bmy-
06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
it's 2-2 in the last 4 years, you don't follow the big 12, pls stfu now.

8-2 since 2000, you mad i'm stylin on you?

SwagMorris
06-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Just read an article that the MWC Is inviting Boise State to join on Monday. It gets more interesting.

bill257
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM

The oklahoma schools suck too. But they would just be fine in there hanging with the oregon and arizona schools.

Pac 10 is top heavy academic wise, and has a few turds at the bottom. Now they'll have more turds and some more schools at the top. About a 50/50 split.

Shangius
06-04-2010, 12:35 PM
The oklahoma schools suck too. But they would just be fine in there hanging with the oregon and arizona schools.

Pac 10 is top heavy academic wise, and has a few turds at the bottom. Now they'll have more turds and some more schools at the top. About a 50/50 split.

Every single Pac-10 school is a "high-research" university. I think that's one of the main requirements they desire, hence why no Boise or Fresno.

EMAW
06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Every single Pac-10 school is a "high-research" university. I think that's one of the main requirements they desire, hence why no Boise or Fresno.

Arizona State?

notsureifsrs...

Shangius
06-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Arizona State?

notsureifsrs...

"Under the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, ASU is classified as a Research University with Very High research activity."

Lowporkwa
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Arizona State?

notsureifsrs...

Ranked graduate programs include the following:
The W. P. Carey School of Business MBA program was ranked 29th and the undergraduate business program ranked 25th. Many of the individual programs rank in the top 25 nationwide, including the 4th ranked program in Supply Chain Management and the 15th ranked program in Information Systems.
The Mary Lou Fulton College of Education was ranked 24th in the nation in 2009.[48] Its program in counseling psychology was ranked 12th in the nation, and its Education Policy Studies doctoral program was ranked 15th. Six out of nine of the College's specialty programs were ranked in the top 20.[citation needed]
The Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering, was ranked 41st and the graduate program ranked 47th. Many of the individual programs within the college rank in the top tier of over 300 nationwide programs, including five graduate programs ranked in the top 30 by U.S. News and World Report.[49]
The Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law is ranked 38th out of 197 ABA-approved law schools by US News in 2010.[50] The Academic Educational Quality Rankings[51] identifies the college of law as having one of the top 30 law faculties in the nation "based on a standard 'objective' measure of scholarly impact"[52] and ranks the college of law as a top 40 law school based on overall academic reputation.
The ASU School of Public Affairs Master of Public Administration program was ranked 26th overall in the nation (out of 250+ schools).[citation needed]
The College of Design is reputedly rigorous and highly ranked.[53] The Interior Design program was ranked 2nd and the Architecture Master's Degree ranked 10th in the 2005 edition of "America's Best Architecture and Design Schools", published annually by DesignIntelligence.
The School of Criminology and Criminal Justice is ranked #12 in the nation by US News & World Report.[54]
The Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication is consistently ranked in the annual Top Ten Hearst Intercollegiate Journalism Competition, often called the "Pulitzers of college journalism."
The Earth Science program in the School of Earth and Space Exploration was ranked 31st out of 105 programs.[55]
The Ph.D. program in psychology was ranked #36 out of 240 graduate programs as of 2009.[56]
In addition, ASU maintains several programs that are ranked among the top ten nationally according to the Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index: Ecology & Evolution, Accountancy, Marketing, Curriculum & Instruction, Educational Leadership, Industrial Engineering, Interdisciplinary Studies, Speech & Hearing Science, Spanish, Physical Anthropology, Clinical Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Educational Psychology, Justice Studies, Political Science, and Social Psychology.[57]

Undergraduate reputation =/= research reputation

yott
06-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Arizona State?

notsureifsrs...

http://www.washington.edu/tools/universities.html

bill257
06-04-2010, 12:52 PM

How many are AAU? I know a lot of them are, but not all. AAU is top tier of research universities.

EMAW
06-04-2010, 01:44 PM

literally every school they are after is a "high-research" university

Shangius
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
How many are AAU? I know a lot of them are, but not all. AAU is top tier of research universities.

7. Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, UW, UO, UA

thegenerel
06-04-2010, 02:22 PM
some teams are going to be left in the dust. it would be interesting to read projections for where teams move right away.

jump_man23
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Arizona State?

notsureifsrs...

u dumb?

educate yourself

Holcster
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
This would be awesome. They are saying it would be divided into two divisions

west-SC,fucla,stan,cal,oregon,orst, wash, wash st

East-UT,A&M,tech,oklahoma,okst,colorado,arizona,arizona st

-Each team would play the other in its division, then 2 games (1 home, 1 away) against the other division teams, then 3 OOC games which most teams do now anyways
-Pac could get its own network showing a lot more games nationwide and bringing a lot more interest to the confence.
-More revenue for the conference and its schools
-this conference would put out some awesome games during the year with potential of SC vs UT or oregon vs ok, etc and still keep the rivalries like ok/ut, and all the other instate rivalries in the pac that now exist

I think its all up to UT, if they go expect the other teams to make the move. I see it happening and it's the best possibility if the conference is to get broken up. The other teams would join the big 10 (nebraska, missouri) , and the rest possibly the MWC

Horns3
06-04-2010, 03:55 PM
wonder what time the games would show on tv if tx went pac10

b3rtstare
06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
This would be awesome. They are saying it would be divided into two divisions

west-SC,fucla,stan,cal,oregon,orst, wash, wash st

East-UT,A&M,tech,oklahoma,okst,colorado,arizona,arizona st

-Each team would play the other in its division, then 2 games (1 home, 1 away) against the other division teams, then 3 OOC games which most teams do now anyways
-Pac could get its own network showing a lot more games nationwide and bringing a lot more interest to the confence.
-More revenue for the conference and its schools
-this conference would put out some awesome games during the year with potential of SC vs UT or oregon vs ok, etc and still keep the rivalries like ok/ut, and all the other instate rivalries in the pac that now exist

I think its all up to UT, if they go expect the other teams to make the move. I see it happening and it's the best possibility if the conference is to get broken up. The other teams would join the big 10 (nebraska, missouri) , and the rest possibly the MWC

This move would be great for the mountain west. Boise State is getting an official invitation on Monday and if the Big XII broke up they would get the scraps like Kansas, K-State, maybe Baylor, and Maybe Nebraska if the Big 10 snubs them and the 6 teams bolt for the Pac 10.

leafs43
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
The sooner conferences consolidate the sooner we will see a playoff system.

MenTaLPiRacY
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
wonder what time the games would show on tv if tx went pac10

Dunno, but UT will still suck on Techs kawk like their gonna do this year here in the Jones.