PDA

View Full Version : So will the MLB fix the call and give Gallarago(sp?) his perfect game?

Lasers1
06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Because they damn well should.

JMath
06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't think they can... can they? He deserves it for sure.

jacketfan
06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
no, they wont. and no they shouldnt

OneBetter
06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
they won't, but they should. he threw a perfect game. end of story.

CarpeD1em500
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
No and they shouldn't. Should they go back and review all the 1-hit games over the years and see if the call was correct?

It starts a terrible precedence...

Clives_Bicep
06-02-2010, 09:01 PM
no they wont and they cant, but from this season on, they should allow replays to overturn those, a change will probably come from this.

Lasers1
06-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Yeah, but for something as obvious as this, so late in the game, I think they should. It's not like this happened in the 6th or 7th inning, it happened with 1 out left to go. If they mark it as an out, it wouldn't really affect anything that happened afterwards.

LostOne287
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I think they should make this the start of using more instant replay. I realize that they can't just change this one call just because they feel bad for him even though it's a tradgedy it happened to him, but if they start a precedent by using replay from now on, they can use this as the first call to be reversed. I don't see why they couldn't do that. Unless the comissioner just refuses to start using replay.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
they gave george brett his home run back during the pine tar game and made them start over from that point.

they can easily just erase the hit and erase the entire AB that came after it and give him the perfect game that he clearly earned.

EMAW
06-02-2010, 09:51 PM
they gave george brett his home run back during the pine tar game and made them start over from that point.

they can easily just erase the hit and erase the entire AB that came after it and give him the perfect game that he clearly earned.

that was also a rules question, where this was a judgement call. They can't reverse it.

darkninja67
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
They should. That was not even a close call. WTH was he looking at??

quietstormx1
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
No and they shouldn't. Should they go back and review all the 1-hit games over the years and see if the call was correct?

It starts a terrible precedence...

it was on the last "out" of the game, that had no barring on the outcome of the game, as illustrated by the following out. and it was blatantly a bad call

theres times when you should follow the book, but theres also times where you should follow common sense.

unfortunately the ump lacks common sense and didnt give the guy the benefit of the doubt in the situation, which he should have.

that was also a rules question, where this was a judgement call. They can't reverse it.

judgment calls get reversed all of the time in sports. what makes this any different?

Lasers1
06-02-2010, 10:32 PM
IMO they should implement more instant replay with calls such as these, and completely get rid of the umpire that calls strikes/balls and replace him with a computerized device that automatically calls correct strike/ball. (srs)

Your Dad
06-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I feel bad for Galarraga, heard UMPs apology, seemed legit.

But it still must kill to see all that hard work gone, hopefully he gets his perfect game down the line in his career.

LostOne287
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
But it still must kill to see all that hard work gone, hopefully he gets his perfect game down the line in his career.

There's only been 20 thrown in 130 years of baseball. He'll never get another chance at it, that's what makes it so horrible.

2Rude4MyOwnGood
06-02-2010, 11:53 PM
There's only been 20 thrown in 130 years of baseball. He'll never get another chance at it, that's what makes it so horrible.

This.

This is when the MLB should step in, reverse the call, and change their method of dealing with plays like this.

animalfan
06-03-2010, 12:08 AM
They should. That was not even a close call. WTH was he looking at??

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/animalfan_photo/galarragasperfectgameinthetoilet.jpg

_Translucency
06-03-2010, 12:32 AM
They should.

The way they deal with situations like this needs to be changed. And it needs to start now.

MA5Bergey
06-03-2010, 01:53 AM
"Purists" will say it's the human element and it's a judgment call.

People with half a brain will say that the call was obvious and there's no way it should have been a hit.

It's retarded that they can't award him the game, because it was a clear and obvious mistake, not debatable.

badabing81
06-03-2010, 01:59 AM
moments ruined now anyway. im not even sure galarraga cares at this pt.

kyleTX
06-03-2010, 02:01 AM
man hold upppppppppp.

I just got home and saw what happened. That ump f'd up, and admitted it, but WOW is he ever going to have something on his shoulder for life. Most people will say that Galarraga got the perfect game, and yeah that's what we SHOULD mark it down as.... But 5 or 10 years down the road, nobody is going to remember/care. This was single-handedly the most epic fuk up in American history (amongst sports records/accolades)

derek_jeter
06-03-2010, 02:14 AM
This is a call they need to get right. Balls and strikes should absolutely remain unchallengeable as that is the 'personality' aspect of baseball that sets it apart from other sports.

Having the ball to bag is not an argument. Anyone looking at that replay KNOWS it was incorrect, just the same as an INCORRECT Homerun or NON-Homerun call. They MUST get this right and make it a point to make 1st base, of all bases a priority for accuracy.

I'm pretty damn disgusted with this whole thing and I really hope Mr. Selig says something reassuring about this but I'd be a fool to hold my breath...

erftbll81
06-03-2010, 02:51 AM
reps for vid

badabing81
06-03-2010, 03:25 AM
thread needs vid

VmCNNxRg_Og

NDame616
06-03-2010, 04:07 AM
People are retarded.

-In no way should they change the call. Talk about opening a Pandora's Box. Go back and change a call just so one player can make a personal accomplishment? There's no insant replay in safe/out calls in baseball, and there shouldn't be. The ump could've called him out 15 feet from 1B if he wanted.
-It was a close game....3-0. It was still within reach. People are making it seem like the game was 14-0 or something. Shilling almost had a no hitter on the DBacks years ago and was bitching at a guy who bunted to get on. The game was 1 or 2 to nothing, and he can get on however he wants.
-Why are people bitching about it being "the last play of the game"? You need to get 27 outs to get a no hitter. All outs are created equally. If he gave up this hit in the1st, 5th or 9th, it still blows the perfect game. This happened to be the 27th out.
-Half of the mystique of a perfect game is the celebration by the fans and players after. Are we really going to "grant" him the perfect game the next day? Of course not.

People who think MLB shoul change the call aren't real fans.

Uncontested
06-03-2010, 04:37 AM
They SHOULD. But they WONT. At least it will HOPEFULLY bring instant replay or a form of a challenge for terrible calls like this.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 04:44 AM
They SHOULD. But they WONT. At least it will HOPEFULLY bring instant replay or a form of a challenge for terrible calls like this.

That is so f'n stupid.

Umps blow calls and games all the time. It doesn't necessarily happen on the last out in the 9th, or during a perfect game. They can blow a call in the 5th inning that costs a team the win. The umps in the ALDS last year made 2 awful calls that cost the Red Sox the game.

Should MLB go back and correct these calls? Should they correct a safe/out call in the 3rd inning that led to a 3-run double where team A won 3-1? Or should we only save this for "fixing" perfect games?

Blowing a game, costing a team a win, is 100X worse than a perfect game.

Nikhiln25
06-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Umps and refs in every sport are retarded old farts. It's time for them to retire at 40 or gtfo and put in robots to umpire.

(not srs)

(ok semi srs)

Max~Power
06-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Good post and then this post:

Really? Judgment? Rules state if you have the ball in your possession and touch the bag before the base runner makes it to the bag he his forced out.

Sounds like a rule to me.

People are retarded.

-In no way should they change the call. Talk about opening a Pandora's Box. Go back and change a call just so one player can make a personal accomplishment? There's no insant replay in safe/out calls in baseball, and there shouldn't be. The ump could've called him out 15 feet from 1B if he wanted.
-It was a close game....3-0. It was still within reach. People are making it seem like the game was 14-0 or something. Shilling almost had a no hitter on the DBacks years ago and was bitching at a guy who bunted to get on. The game was 1 or 2 to nothing, and he can get on however he wants.
-Why are people bitching about it being "the last play of the game"? You need to get 27 outs to get a no hitter. All outs are created equally. If he gave up this hit in the1st, 5th or 9th, it still blows the perfect game. This happened to be the 27th out.
-Half of the mystique of a perfect game is the celebration by the fans and players after. Are we really going to "grant" him the perfect game the next day? Of course not.

Last statement was cheap and overstated, get off your high horse and admit baseball is behind the times. The truth will set you free.

EMAW
06-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Good post and then this post:

Really? Judgment? Rules state if you have the ball in your possession and touch the bag before the base runner makes it to the bag he his forced out.

It's a judgement call, called at the discretion of an umpire. You will never see an ump overturn a call like that. EVER. No matter the circumstances, no matter how much arguing, it's not gonna happen.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 05:23 AM
Last statement was cheap and overstated, get off your high horse and admit baseball is behind the times. The truth will set you free.

You're a Tigers fan, right?

I don't like instant replay on HR/fair and foul ball. But I can live with it because of the insane dimension and park that are built, HRs aren't a easy to tell as before.

But a computer on plays at the bag? Comeon. Next, it'll be balls and strikes. There's a human element of the game that has to stay in the game. Umps will get lazy and depend on the computer.

ezmac31
06-03-2010, 05:32 AM
well the ump robbed us of some pretty serious history..20 perfect games in what? like 130 years of the sport or something..i would think all these baseball purists would want to see the right calls being made and utilize every tool we can to do so..

Max~Power
06-03-2010, 05:36 AM
You're a Tigers fan, right?

I don't like instant replay on HR/fair and foul ball. But I can live with it because of the insane dimension and park that are built, HRs aren't a easy to tell as before.

But a computer on plays at the bag? Comeon. Next, it'll be balls and strikes. There's a human element of the game that has to stay in the game. Umps will get lazy and depend on the computer.

Yes. I'm a Tigers fan

It's funny you use the phrase human element, because we are both human and if we were sitting in a both with a TV (via College football / NFL) we would have made the right call. Yes humans could have gotten it right.

Please don't put the cart before the horse, no one is talking balls and strikes, thanks.

KoolKidRyan
06-03-2010, 06:10 AM
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5596/18995848.png
this

stevedarsh
06-03-2010, 06:45 AM
People are retarded.

you're such an idiot. this unique situation, on the last out of a no hitter, has NEVER happened before. there's only been 20 thrown in the history of baseball. and this call should be overturned an set a precedent for replay in baseball.

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 06:52 AM
At least he'll make the All-star team now

ididit4tehlulz
06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
I do agree that changing calls can open problems because of things that happened in past, and changing calls in future exct.

But this is unique, Perfect game is so rare and so special. He had thrown the perfect game.
Then the ump stole it from him with a blown call. He had the win, there was no doubt. The ump calls that correct and the game is over and he goes into History.

They should change it imo

Aran
06-03-2010, 06:59 AM
maybe mlb should go back and fix don denkingers blown call in the 1985 world series. (sarcasm)

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 07:05 AM
in before he throws another one in his next start

NDame616
06-03-2010, 07:16 AM
you're such an idiot. this unique situation, on the last out of a no hitter, has NEVER happened before. there's only been 20 thrown in the history of baseball. and this call should be overturned an set a precedent for replay in baseball.

So we should competely change everything over one play that has happened once in 130 years in baseball? Strong logic.

If MLB does this then they need to go back in time and fix every wrong call bhy any ump. Costing a team a win is much more important than a perfect game.

IraHays
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
So we should competely change everything over one play that has happened once in 130 years in baseball? Strong logic.

If MLB does this then they need to go back in time and fix every wrong call bhy any ump. Costing a team a win is much more important than a perfect game.

Because it happened on the last out and they won the game I would not have a problem with them giving the guy his perfect game. There is no reason this would cause a slippery slope, it is pretty unique.

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 07:38 AM

No they don't. That is a strawman, a false choice, false dichotomy, etc. And you, as usual, are full of ****. It doesn't have to be that way at all. They can fix this and say it was an exception. Half a million MLB games have been played. One exception for a personal achievement that means nothing to anyone except the player involved is just that- nothing. There is no slippery slope because who gives a sh*t? Your argument is weaksauce and hackneyed. Most of the times the "slippery slope" argument is weak at best, especially when it's the only argument you have.

Re-write the book ASAP. Award him the perfecto at today's game. Celebrate. Move on.

Of course, since Bud Selig has repeatedly show what (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/742620,mariotti011608.article) a pussy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Major_League_Baseball_All-Star_Game) he is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Major_League_Baseball_strike), nothing will happen.

MrLJizzle
06-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow this was some major BS. I really feel bad for the guy. Call should definitely be overturned. Last batter of a No Hitter, that was clearly out gets called safe, they have to change that sh it. if not then Selig can go die.

89FoxBody
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Selig does have the power to overturn the call. Apparently he is meeting with advisers and such today to discuss it.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-03-2010, 08:57 AM
in after some baseball purists don't understand the concept of the straw that broke the camel's back.

it took 130 years for the camel's back to break from bullshhit like this happening season after season. fix the MISTAKE and set the precedent.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 09:03 AM
There have been far worse calls that have much bigger consequences in the game of baseball than a perfect game. Bud Selig literally changing the scope of one game by overturning a call is an awful idea. It was a freak occurance, that turned national, and everyone is in a tiff.

Let's switch this call:
http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/images/e/e2/Knobby.jpg (Offerman called out)

There's hundreds of calls like that, but it's a good pic.

Selig better sit on his hands and say "the ump made a bad call, but it was the call on the field and I can't overturn it."

Acal83
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
id love it if they switched it. Its a unique situation... nothing that happened after that play matters because the game would have been over.

They need to give it to him, the umpire even admits that he made a huge mistake.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 09:06 AM
lawls, a guy on my Red Sox board said this:

"Instant replay is the condom of the baseball experience. It may be marginally inconvenient and delay the game somewhat, it may even hinder the experience...but it's sure as hell better than having a kid nine months later because the pull-out method failed. The Galaragga game just happens to be quadruplets. "

buckeyenutz
06-03-2010, 09:10 AM
ib4 Congressional Hearing on replay in MLB (srs)

StevenMunn
06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
The only truly "perfect game" in baseball is the one that gets rained out. And doesn't get rescheduled.

EMAW
06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Selig does have the power to correct it, but should he? I don't think so. Yes, it's wrong that he was stripped of a perfect game, but history will be nice to Gallaraga. Everytime anyone is close, you will here the announcers say something along the lines of "We've only seen 20 perfect games in baseball history, but as I'm sure you all remember Armando Gallaraga came within one out of perfect after the famous blown call".

The best part about a perfect game is the celebration with your team and fans after the last out. Bud Selig can't give that back to Gallaraga.

209vaughn
06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I think the REAL story is that there has been 3 perfect games thrown in one season. Absolutley crazy!!!!

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
MLB deciding whether to review call
Thursday, June 3, 2010
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball was still deciding Thursday morning whether to review the umpire's blown call that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong and tearfully apologized in person to the pitcher.

Joyce showed up to work Thursday in Detroit, looking as if he hadn't slept. He appreciated the outpouring of support from umpires, family and friends but lamented strangers lashing out at his wife and children.

"I wish my family was out of this," Joyce said, holding back tears as he spoke nearly two hours before the Cleveland Indians-Detroit Tigers series finale. "I wish they would direct it all to me. It's a big problem. My wife is a rock. My kids are very strong. They don't deserve this."

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski said the team will not ask MLB to overturn the call. Selig would likely consult with his top advisers before making such a ruling. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says the call should be overturned.

Tigers manager Jim Leyland said MLB gave Joyce the option to not work Thursday's game, but Joyce chose to stick with his job behind the plate. Leyland added that Galarraga would present the lineup card and shake hands with Joyce at home plate before the afternoon game.

Milt Pappas, who lost a perfect game in 1972 on a controversial call and settled for a no-hitter instead, told ESPN's Willie Weinbaum that he thinks the blown call that cost Galarraga a perfect game should be reversed.

Pappas lost his perfect game on a two-out, ninth-inning walk that he believes should have been called a game-ending third strike. He supports instant replay in baseball, but not for balls and strikes.

"I think it should be reversed and the kid should get a perfect game, especially after the umpire said he blew it," Pappas said. "Since the ump admitted he was wrong, which seldom happens, the commissioner should rectify it. I hope [Bud] Selig has the guts to do it. I feel sorry for the young man. At least the umpire had the guts to say he was wrong."

mm55
06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
I agree with everyone the call should not be reversed. Once the game is complete and in the books you should NOT go back and alter it in any way, despite the fact it had no effect on the outcome of the game.

He blew the call, they aren't allowed to review safe/out calls on the bags during the game, it is what it is. I definitely feel bad for Galarraga.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
What SHOULD happen...is Selig releases a statement saying they will not overturn the call, but they will begin the process of reviewing expanding instant replay and hope to implement something during the playoffs and/or next season.

I also don't want them to expand on replay, BTW

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Interesting to think about if it is overturned:

- what happens to Trevor Crowe's (the last out of the game) at-bat? there were 4 outs in the inning or does it disappear? does the put-out disappear, along with the # pitches thrown to him, etc?
- or is it then a 28-out perfect game? does that count as the first ever extra-innings perfect game? Is an umpire error like a player error that makes it imperfect and just a no-hitter?

weird.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 09:30 AM

- what happens to Trevor Crowe's (the last out of the game) at-bat? there were 4 outs in the inning or does it disappear? does the put-out disappear, along with the # pitches thrown to him, etc?
- or is it then a 28-out perfect game? does that count as the first ever extra-innings perfect game? Is an umpire error like a player error that makes it imperfect and just a no-hitter?

weird.

I'm guessing the AB woul be wiped from the record. Selig, if he does this, will rule the runner out at first and the game finished there.

mm55
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM

weird.

it would have to get scratched from the books, never existed.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I think the REAL story is that there has been 3 perfect games thrown in one season. Absolutley crazy!!!!

nevermind one season brah. 3 perfect games in 24 days.

IraHays
06-03-2010, 09:41 AM
nevermind one season brah. 3 perfect games in 24 days.

4 in under a year.

I guess the batters getting off the juice has helped, lulz.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-03-2010, 09:47 AM
4 in under a year.

I guess the batters getting off the juice has helped, lulz.

apparently

perfect games in the entire 1990s = 4. perfect games since last july = 4. mind = blown.

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
apparently

perfect games in the entire 1990s = 4. perfect games since last july = 4. mind = blown.

with the amount of steroids being taken in the 90s I am not surprised at all. maybe the natural balance of power has been on the pitchers' this whole time.

tmac34
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
unfortunately, they won't change the call. I think that soon, though, they will implement the ability of the umpires to change calls after seeing replays during games.

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
You know last night I was hoping they would overturn it but the more I think about it the more I realize they really need to just let it be. There's so many calls that MLB would need to go back and overturn if they did this one it would be ridiculous. Either that or it would be unfair to all the ones they never did anything about. It would really create a gigantic snowball effect. If this one....why not this one....and if that one...why not this other one?

You can't overturn it. You just can't.

stevedarsh
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
You know last night I was hoping they would overturn it but the more I think about it the more I realize they really need to just let it be. There's so many calls that MLB would need to go back and overturn if they did this one it would be ridiculous. Either that or it would be unfair to all the ones they never did anything about. It would really create a gigantic snowball effect. If this one....why not this one....and if that one...why not this other one?

again, the slippery slope argument is a terrible one. this was a very unique situation. there have been several hundred games played throughout the history of the world series, but costing someone one of 20 perfect games is far greater in magnitude.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM

Agreeing with bbacon.

Universe = blown

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Milt Pappas "walked" the 27th batter in 1972.

It has happened before. And in an 8-0 blowout no less, not a game that was within reach like last nights.

baseball_player
06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Did anyone see the beginning of today's game?

Galarraga presented the lineup today to the home plate umpire Jim Joyce. Joyce cried in response to Galarraga's sportsmanship.

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 10:26 AM
again, the slippery slope argument is a terrible one. this was a very unique situation. there have been several hundred games played throughout the history of the world series, but costing someone one of 20 perfect games is far greater in magnitude.

See my response to your other post above.

Do we have to give Pappas his perfect game now as well? Both of those plays are judgment calls.

You see what I mean? You overturn this one and Cubs fans are suddenly going to want Pappas to get his perfect game. And so on and so on.

If I really wanted to I could go back and find a million of these little blown calls that would have given someone a no hitter, or a shutout, or a cycle, or something else that really had no bearing on the game's outcome other than giving a nice little bonus for the guy who did it.

If you changed one how fair is it to not change them all?

Edit:

You're a Tigers fan I assume so arguing about this with you may very well be moot. Im sure you feel robbed in your own way.

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Did anyone see the beginning of today's game?

Galarraga presented the lineup today to the home plate umpire Jim Joyce. Joyce cried in response to Galarraga's sportsmanship.

Galarraga has handled it very well and you gotta respect him for that. You also know that Joyce feels like complete sh*t. It sucks what people are going to do to him from here on out.

YoungEx20
06-03-2010, 10:31 AM
man hold upppppppppp.

I just got home and saw what happened. That ump f'd up, and admitted it, but WOW is he ever going to have something on his shoulder for life. Most people will say that Galarraga got the perfect game, and yeah that's what we SHOULD mark it down as.... But 5 or 10 years down the road, nobody is going to remember/care. This was single-handedly the most epic fuk up in American history (amongst sports records/accolades)
I think on the contrary actually. This game will forever be mentioned as "The perfect game that wasn't" and I think this will be remembered in history forever.

LostOne287
06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
What sucks is that even if they do end up reversing it and giving him the perfect game, it's already ruined. The moment you get the last out and celebrate with your teammates, especially in your own stadium, is THE moment, the one you remember forever and the one that means the most. What happens now, an MLB representative walks in the locker room and tells him he has a perfect game now?

stevedarsh
06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
See my response to your other post above.

Do we have to give Pappas his perfect game now as well? Both of those plays are judgment calls.

You see what I mean? You overturn this one and Cubs fans are suddenly going to want Pappas to get his perfect game. And so on and so on.

If I really wanted to I could go back and find a million of these little blown calls that would have given someone a no hitter, or a shutout, or a cycle, or something else that really had no bearing on the game's outcome other than giving a nice little bonus for the guy who did it.

If you changed one how fair is it to not change them all?

Edit:

You're a Tigers fan I assume so arguing about this with you may very well be moot. Im sure you feel robbed in your own way.

No, we don't go change EVERY bad call in the history of the game. We use this OBVIOUS bad call to make a change now. It's easy to say, "tough, but that's baseball", and move on. It's much more difficult to set a precident and make the necessary changes to baseball so this type of thing doesn't happen again.

The call was bad, everyone know it, especially Joyce who went into the Tiger club house and personally appologized for it. Change the call based on what we all saw, the conduct of all parties involved after the call, and because it is the right thing to do.

Stop being a slave to the old baseball mentality. We can use this incident to move forward. Why cheat this kid of his perfect game, becasue you and others quibble over,"other calls", that were suspect? Instead of wallowing in baseball purity, let's take it to the next step. And what a grand way to take that step, by acknowleging Gallaraga's achievement, and using this moment to finally implement replay.

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
No, we don't go change EVERY bad call in the history of the game. We use this OBVIOUS bad call to make a change now. It's easy to say, "tough, but that's baseball", and move on. It's much more difficult to set a precident and make the necessary changes to baseball so this type of thing doesn't happen again.

The call was bad, everyone know it, especially Joyce who went into the Tiger club house and personally appologized for it. Change the call based on what we all saw, the conduct of all parties involved after the call, and because it is the right thing to do.

Stop being a slave to the old baseball mentality. We can use this incident to move forward. Why cheat this kid of his perfect game, becasue you, and others quibble over,"other calls", that were suspect? Instead of wallowing in baseball purity, let's take it to the next step. And what a grand way to take that step, by acknowleging Gallaraga's achievement, and using this moment to finally implementing replay.

You see I'm against replay. So this whole "take the next step" argument isn't a very good one to use with me. Replay in baseball is really kind of hard because for a play to continue a lot of times you're relying on the call of the umpire. If a ball is called foul when it's really fair how do you fix that? Who knows where the runner would have ended up. Was it a double? Was it triple? Would runs have scored? It's really a lot of bullsh*t to use instant replay. Then there's balls and strikes. What if it's a 3-1 count and the runner is stealing and it's called ball 4 when replay shows it was a strike? Does the steal not count? Should the runner just have to go back to first? You can't do that. It f*cks the whole game up.

Baseball is the one sport where everything really has to run smoothly on the judgment calls of the officials. Replaying fair or foul home runs is ok, because there's nothing else that happens after that play. It's either a home run and everyone circles the bases or it isn't. It's an easy fix. Everything else is not an easy fix because the calls are being made during live plays.

bustermac
06-03-2010, 10:48 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/283/tigers.gif

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I feel bad for him though man :(

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/capress/04/fullj.37ab6b0e7d9b5965cf15345e2b62405d/capress-bba_indians_tigers-3538186.jpg

djm_
06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Galarraga has handled it very well and you gotta respect him for that. You also know that Joyce feels like complete sh*t. It sucks what people are going to do to him from here on out.

i agree ... with alot of major sports athletes and there all about me personias you got this kid who got robbed of a perfect game , and he is handleing the situation very good ... its safe to say he is probably still pissed about it lol, but hes showing real sportsmanship

as for overturning the call ... ehh thats (like many others said) is a slippery slope, there are pros and cons to both changing it and leaving it be, my opinion is he deserves the perfect game but as was stated before the whole "moment" would be lost in the process

SteezeFactory
06-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I feel bad for him though man :(

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/capress/04/fullj.37ab6b0e7d9b5965cf15345e2b62405d/capress-bba_indians_tigers-3538186.jpg

I was impressed with his composure, I probably would have blown a gasket if that happened to me. I liked the interview in the clubhouse where he said he'd save the DVD to show his son and that while it might not be in the books, he threw a perfect game. After hearing the interview Joyce gave I feel bad for him too, that will hang over his head for the rest of his career.

iliveinjersey
06-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Man watching that live made sick the replays are just as bad... man thats rough

bustermac
06-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Man watching that live made sick the replays are just as bad... man thats rough

It wasn't even close.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Stop being a slave to the old baseball mentality. We can use this incident to move forward. Why cheat this kid of his perfect game, becasue you and others quibble over,"other calls", that were suspect? Instead of wallowing in baseball purity, let's take it to the next step. And what a grand way to take that step, by acknowleging Gallaraga's achievement, and using this moment to finally implement replay.

Why are people putting this perfect game over winning any other game? There's been hundreds of bad calls, most go unnoticed, that have impacted playoff spots, teams making the playoffs, championship games, etc. But because this was a freak occurance of the last play of a final game, NOW we need to do something?

Umps fuk up all the time. I'd be more pissed if it cost my team a win, a playoff spot, a playoff win, etc than a perfect game.

Yup, perfect games are cool to see. But umps have been screwing up calls for years. And this was a very, very close play. He missed a call by half a stride. I've seen safe calls where the runner was a full step away from the bag.

iliveinjersey
06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
It wasn't even close.

i meant made me sick... but yea that was a god awful call

89FoxBody
06-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Everyone saying that the call shouldn't be overturned is basically saying that since people fuked up in the past, it's basically ok to continue fuking up.

It's not.

NDame616
06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Everyone saying that the call shouldn't be overturned is basically saying that since people fuked up in the past, it's basically ok to continue fuking up.

It's not.

So what do you do about umps missing balls and strikes? "Fix" that? What about ball being trapped by outfielders?

An ump missing one ball/strike call can seriously impact the count, the situation, the pitch, and the result. So why don't we have a computer call balls and strikes too?

bbacn123
06-03-2010, 11:52 AM

It's not.

I've already explained why instant replay will never work in the MLB. So yes, you have to live with the f*ck ups. The f*ck ups are a part of this sport. If you want to watch something where mistakes don't occur during the game go watch chess or some sh*t that's easy to officiate.

B.O.L.A.
06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Lawmakers urge MLB to overturn bad call for Galarraga (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100603/METRO/6030471/1361/Lawmakers-urge-MLB-to-overturn-bad-call-for-Galarraga)

NATHAN HURST AND KAREN BOUFFARD
The Detroit News

Michigan politicians are lining up with support behind Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga, who lost out on the designation of pitching the 22nd perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball Thursday night after an admittedly wrong call by umpire Jim Joyce.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm said via Twitter that no matter what the ump said, she was declaring he pitched a perfect game. Granholm followed up on her promise this morning, issuing a proclamation from the Detroit Regional Chamber's Mackinac Policy Conference.

"I, Jennifer M. Granholm, governor of the state of Michigan, do hereby declare Armando Galarraga to have pitched a perfect game, and I join Tigers fans all across the globe in saluting his unassailable accomplishment -- the first perfect game in Tigers history," the final stanza of the proclamation declares.

Also on board: Rep. John Dingell, D-Dearborn, who commented on his Twitter.com account this morning he's drafting a resolution for consideration by the House of Representatives that would recognize Galarraga's accomplishment.

In a release, Dingell said he hoped the resolution would help make a case for Major League Baseball to reverse the admittedly wrong call by Joyce.

"Jim Joyce missed the call, but because he admitted it, we have a leg to stand on in our case to Major League Baseball," Dingell said. "Baseball's executives have corrected a mistake on the field in a regular season game -- before the pine tar game. This is the right thing to do and if getting this resolution passed makes it easier, I'm glad to help."

Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Lansing, also weighed in this morning, saying she wants MLB Commissioner Bud Selig to invoke the "best interest of the game" rule.

"Last night's performance deserves its place in the record books," Stabenow said in a statement. "It is clear that Commissioner Selig should make an exception in this case and invoke the 'best interests of the game clause' to reflect Armando Galarraga's perfect game for the Detroit Tigers."

lulz........via twitter no less. facking Twitter

Beasly3333
06-03-2010, 12:03 PM

It's not.

This.

How can people be so closed minded? We have the technology today to be able to do things right.

treeleaf
06-03-2010, 12:10 PM
MLB should reverse the call. It's not like it changes the outcome of the game. There was only one hit and that was from the blown call. This isn't the world series which another game in a playoff wasn't played -it was one game.

This isn't losing a hr. This is losing a once in a lifetime chance. Only 20 perfect games since 1880. No ump's bad call should be able to ruin a perfect game.

As for other calls? Who cares about them. Who says this has to start a precedent? No one that's who. What if a team loses a game because of bad call then misses playoffs or bounced out of playoffs? So what they can try again. One can't really try to get a perfect game again. They can try but it won't ever happen. That is the difference.

If you think differently you are an idiot. That's right you are an idiot end of story -stinkface.

Your Dad
06-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Lol Im hoping he does, I mean there was 2 thrown this year alone (early in the season as well).

This.

This is when the MLB should step in, reverse the call, and change their method of dealing with plays like this.

Changing the call is like putting an asterik on it, IMO. I think he deserves it, obviously, but his perfect game is already tainted.

OneBetter
06-03-2010, 04:06 PM

thing is, it's pretty rare for the ump to admit he completely fukced up the call. not just missed some small play or made a mistake, but absolutely screwed gallarago over.

they shouldn't go back now and change it, but they should have after the call was made and the replay was reviewed.

there's replay in football and no one bitches, baseball is just behind the curve.

Pro_Shark
06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm in favor of fixing the game and calling it a perfect game. This isn't something that, if changed, will change the outcome of the game. Galarraga had a perfect game. He knows it, the umpire knows it, and the fans know it. Whether or not the play gets overturned does not change the outcome, the Tigers win nonetheless. But I think it's unfair to take away an accomplishment such as this when it is blatantly a missed call.

StevenMunn
06-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Should we go back and reverse every blown call in every sport while we are at it? Its a bad call yes but nothing you can do. No need to cry over spilled milk.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Should we go back and reverse every blown call in every sport while we are at it?

... because that makes your argument stronger.

dude pitched a perfect game. we all saw it.

darkninja67
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
The human error crap is really getting tiring to hear.
The game is long already, so what does a couple more minutes mean.

Dude got robbed plus I all I keep think is El Gato when I hear his name come up (the pitcher)

tonythetiger17
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/2lj1h69.jpg

Haywood j blome
06-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Has anybody asked /or has the pitcher made a statement on what HE WANTS to have happen? Maybe he doesnt want the call reversed as it will give him something to work for and like some other people have said they ruined his moment anyway.

Daewoo_Lanos
06-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Has anybody asked /or has the pitcher made a statement on what HE WANTS to have happen? Maybe he doesnt want the call reversed as it will give him something to work for and like some other people have said they ruined his moment anyway.

brah im gonna go out on a limb and say he obviously wants the perfect game that he pitched to be officially recognized by MLB.

it's all good tho. he got the politicians on his side.

Haywood j blome
06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
brah im gonna go out on a limb and say he obviously wants the perfect game that he pitched to be officially recognized by MLB.

it's all good tho. he got the politicians on his side.

You would think I was just wondering if hes made a statement.....I know this is no where close but my softball team has had chances to win games due to the other team having a lack of players ,so we allow a reschedule cause we dont wanna win like that so Im just wondering if hes voiced his opinion and figured if it was ment to be it woulda happened....It really sux he got screwed though!

Daewoo_Lanos
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
he's been pretty gracious about it from the interviews i heard, which is exactly how he needs to continue being. everyone is already on his side. staying gracious about it will allow him to milk it for all he can, since everyone feels that he's entitled to something since he got ****ing robbed by MLB. already got a corvette out of it.

Haywood j blome
06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
he's been pretty gracious about it from the interviews i heard, which is exactly how he needs to continue being. everyone is already on his side. staying gracious about it will allow him to milk it for all he can, since everyone feels that he's entitled to something since he got ****ing robbed by MLB. already got a corvette out of it.

Is he otherwise really well known? He may be able to parlay this into big $ endorsements he would have never gotten ...Like security companies cause he got robbed so bad. LOL

BeardBrahhh
06-03-2010, 10:31 PM
They should not only reverse the call and give it to him but should give him the title of "most perfect game" because he technically got an extra out.

Na rly