PDA

View Full Version : The blown ump call can prove 2 points

Animal_Strength
06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Why we should have a "flag" rule in play for MLB- where managers can dispute a call without getting thrown out and have a play reviewed by video by the umpires crew

and

Why it should stay the way it is

the first point is obvious. Gallaraga just lost a perfect game on simple human error. Jim Joyce blew the call plain and simple. He obviously will feel bad. People are already calling for some disciplinary action and his head on a plate. A flag system would allow Jim Leyland an opportunity to have that call reviewed by video and Gallaraga would have his perfect game.

the second point is less clear. Gallaraga just lost a perfect on simple human error. The play was a little messy, but it was still obvious the runner was out. But lets say MLB introduces this flag rule. Lets say each manager is given 2 opportunities for this per game or something along those lines. I can guaruntee 2 won't be used per game... until we get to the playoffs. Then more will be asked for. Video will be asked for each close play. And then we lose the full human element of the game. Error has been a part of baseball since its beginning, including umpires error. The Rockies would not have a world series appearance without human error. The Marlins may not have a world series ring in 97 without human error (or whatever you'd like to call it). MLB has already made great strides without losing the human element of the game to improve its accuracy such as Questtech and disputable home run calls.

I would like MLB to stay how it is. I feel terrible for Gallaraga and i hope it never happens again. But I also hope that we don't lose baseball along with it.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Im also not in favor of instant replay

ivegotbigballs
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
It really sucks, but its part of the game. I have watched every Reds game this whole season and can't really think of a time this "flag system" would have been really usefull. Its kind of like the idea which was floated around of adding an extra ump just for the purpose of reviewing contraversial home runs. Would it really be worth it to change the rules for something that would be usefull only a very select handfull of times each season? I vote no, and I bet before today most would of agreed.

KoHuskie
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
9tP4Qr1hK6w

terrible quality, but an even worse call. wow.

George Costanza
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Agreed.

Just posted almost the exact same thing in another thread. Also, think about the rhythm of the pitchers...

Animal_Strength
06-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Not only that... would you really want to fire jim joyce, an umpire for 14 years who is generally seen as fair and accurate because of one call?

would you review every pitch from that game for the homeplate umpire on a 3-2 count that could've been called a ball?

SexyBrahMan
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
it doesnt matter dude

that umpire is gonna be killed very, very soon.

namean
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
9tP4Qr1hK6w

lulz@you keep posting "terrible quality, but an even worse call. wow"

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
the second point is less clear. Gallaraga just lost a perfect on simple human error. The play was a little messy, but it was still obvious the runner was out. But lets say MLB introduces this flag rule. Lets say each manager is given 2 opportunities for this per game or something along those lines. I can guaruntee 2 won't be used per game... until we get to the playoffs. Then more will be asked for. Video will be asked for each close play.

The NFL doesn't review every close play in the playoffs. A team has 2, possibly 3, challenges. If they run out, they're out.

And then we lose the full human element of the game. Error has been a part of baseball since its beginning, including umpires error.

It was a part of all sports when there weren't the technological means to overcome it. Those days are behind us. If the only reason you want it is because that's "how the game was originally played", then I guess we should ban blacks and hispanics, too.

I would like MLB to stay how it is. I feel terrible for Gallaraga and i hope it never happens again. But I also hope that we don't lose baseball along with it.

Yeah it really killed football. No one watches it any more.

Not only that... would you really want to fire jim joyce, an umpire for 14 years who is generally seen as fair and accurate because of one call?

Because football officials routinely get fired when a play they called gets overturned?

George Costanza
06-02-2010, 08:18 PM
ITT: Guy doesn't understand how much more baseball relies on intricacies of the game, rhythm, etc than football does.

Huse
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
ITT: Guy doesn't understand how much more baseball relies on intricacies of the game, rhythm, etc than football does.

that's such nonsense, baseball is the only major sport that is still stuck in the stone ages. the flag idea is pretty cool never heard it before

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM

One such intricacy: if the ball beats the runner to first base, said runner is supposed to be called out.

Huse
06-02-2010, 08:26 PM
One such intricacy: if the ball beats the runner to first base, said runner is supposed to be called out.

but in the 1800s they didn't have instant replay so now they can't either!1111

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Go figure...AL fans in support of further ruining the game. Havent you clowns done enough with your DH rule?

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Go figure...AL fans in support of further ruining the game. Havent you clowns done enough with your DH rule?

Explain to me how ensuring the correct call would ruin the game. Slowing down the game is not a factor as a team would have a fixed number of challenges, so it wouldn't be "every ball and strike" or whatever people are whining about. I'd love to hear the potential downsides in your opinion.

B.O.L.A.
06-02-2010, 08:33 PM
you know what- FUKK TRADITION. just tonight an ump got hit by a linedrive during the yankee game and cost someone an XBH. get the bums off the field. There are 410184 cameras available at MLB stadiums, let them make the calls. Balls and strikes are still made by home plate ump.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Explain to me how ensuring the correct call would ruin the game. Slowing down the game is not a factor as a team would have a fixed number of challenges, so it wouldn't be "every ball and strike" or whatever people are whining about. I'd love to hear the potential downsides in your opinion.

Explaining something to an AL fan is like explaining something to a brick wall.....it just doesn't seem to care and/or comprehend anything that is said.

So I think I'll pass.

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
And by the way, balls and strikes in my opinion should be non-reviewable, much in the same way penalties are in football. Those are things that have an inherent level of subjectivity due to the person who called it. Until strike zones are measured electronically (which I have no doubt is an inevitability), there is no way to say a pitch "should" have been a strike when taking into account different umpire's strike zones.

But a runner being safe or out, there should be no subjectivity there.

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Explaining something to an AL fan is like explaining something to a brick wall.....it just doesn't seem to care and/or comprehend anything that is said.

So I think I'll pass.

Strong copout. Anyone else opposed to a challenge system want to take a stab at it?

Autobody
06-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Baseball is stuck in the stoneages. It took them forever to review homeruns. Replays have been around how many years..?
I don't even know why managers come out to argue w/ the umps. It's not like they're gonna change a call.
Oh and having the pitcher hit is dumb. OH HAI FREE OUT.
Balls and strikes need to be called by a robot. No random strike zones. No umps squeezing pitches just because he's an ahole.

NYY
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Can't the Tigers protest the game?

That's just f*cking horrible.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Baseball is stuck in the stoneages. It took them forever to review homeruns. Replays have been around how many years..?
I don't even know why managers come out to argue w/ the umps. It's not like they're gonna change a call.
Oh and having the pitcher hit is dumb. OH HAI FREE OUT.
Balls and strikes need to be called by a robot. No random strike zones. No umps squeezing pitches just because he's an ahole.

Probable Team: Red Sox
Knowledge of Baseball: Little

PerfectFormForever
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I WAS AT THE GAME!! People were ready to KILLLL!

Deadbob
06-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Agreed.

Just posted almost the exact same thing in another thread. Also, think about the rhythm of the pitchers...

And the time it takes for Manager come out, yell for a few minutes, kick dirt all over home, leave the field once he's tossed, clean the plate and however long it takes the batter to get set doesn't effect the pitchers rhythm?

I'm all for an instant replay reviewing video of close plays because would take just as long as a managers tantrum, plus have the benefit of getting the call right!

Replay on balls & strikes would be idiotic and slow the game down WAY too much

SpeedDemon9
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Clearly the ump blew this fcuking call!! Perfect game ruined by one call.

CarpeD1em500
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I hate baseball but anyone who doesnt think the game should be called according to the rulebook is...well...perplexing to me. whats the point of having concrete rules then?

xxtotuxx
06-02-2010, 10:44 PM
9tP4Qr1hK6w

lol miggy's reaction at the call would make one hell of a gif.

Brothylated
06-02-2010, 10:49 PM

So I think I'll pass.

Braves fan? Must still hurt that the Yankees created a dynasty at your expense.

Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux? Yet one ring? I would be mad too son.