PDA

View Full Version : George Brett and the Pine Tar Incident

IraHays
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
The Pine Tar Incident
Main article: Pine Tar Incident

The baseball bat used by George Brett in the Pine Tar Incident on July 24, 1983.On July 24, 1983, the Royals played the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. In the top of the ninth inning with two out, Brett hit a two-run homer to put the Royals up 54. Upon Brett crossing the plate, Yankees manager Billy Martin cited to the umpires an obscure rule that stated that any foreign substance on a bat could extend no further than 18 inches from the knob. The umpires measured the amount of pine tar, a legal substance used by hitters to improve their grip, on Brett's bat; Brett's pine tar extended about 24 inches. The home plate umpire, Tim McClelland, signaled Brett out, ending the game as a Yankees win. An angry Brett charged out of the dugout and was immediately ejected. The Royals protested the game, and American League president Lee MacPhail upheld the protest, reasoning that Brett's bat should have been excluded from future use but the home run should not have been nullified. Amid much controversy, the game was resumed on August 18 from the point of Brett's home run and ended with a Royals win.

FLAY
06-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Billy Martin is such a dick.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
lol I just found this myself looking to see if something had ever been overturned.

IraHays
06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
lol I just found this myself looking to see if something had ever been overturned.

I figured people would, so I used my old age to help out, lulz.

FLAY
06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
FWIW the umpire later said he felt bad about the call but said his hands were tied.

6Xipza9joNw