PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Educate me on National League, American League

INeedToGainNJ
06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Hello.

The only sport I don't follow too closely is baseball.

I know the rules, etc. but I have a question.

What's the difference in the National League and the American League?

For some reason I seem to think that somehow it's different then way that the NHL, NFL, and NBA conferences. I think there is more too it and that it's more complicated then a simple east/west division like those sports.

Am I just misinformed?

Baseball has always been a mystery to me, having their 48 thousand games a season, playing teams like 4 times in a row, having different size fields, etc. etc.

jkeithc82
06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Hello.

The only sport I don't follow too closely is baseball.

I know the rules, etc. but I have a question.

What's the difference in the National League and the American League?

For some reason I seem to think that somehow it's different then way that the NHL, NFL, and NBA conferences. I think there is more too it and that it's more complicated then a simple east/west division like those sports.

Am I just misinformed?

Baseball has always been a mystery to me, having their 48 thousand games a season, playing teams like 4 times in a row, having different size fields, etc. etc.

You realize what you've just done right?

anonymous123
06-02-2010, 01:19 PM
AL has a retarded ass rule called the designated hitter that only THEY like (well, the retarded ones) in which they designate a player at the start of the game to hit in place of the pitcher. However, they can put him anywhere in the line up. By doing this retarded thing, it takes all the strategy out of the game of baseball and interferes with the way it was MEANT to be played. It is comparable to if the NBA adopted a "designated free throw shooter" in place of the centers that can't do **** from the line themselves. Just takes away a lof the strategy from the game.

NL plays actual baseball and isn't retarded. Also, we have better pitching and Albert Pujols.

melanimal_old
06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
The AL has a spot in the lineup for fat old guys who cant field a position anymore. Its called the DH. It takes pretty much any strategy from baseball and skews their stats.

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:23 PM
The AL is better than the NL. Whenever teams from the two leagues play each other the AL is more likely to win, as the AL has a much better record in inter-league play.

The NL hasn't even won an All-Star game since 1996.

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:23 PM
The AL has a spot in the lineup for fat old guys who cant field a position anymore. Its called the DH. It takes pretty much any strategy from baseball and skews their stats.

And the NL has a spot in the lineup for a guy who is barely capable of swinging a bat.

melanimal_old
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
And the NL has a spot in the lineup for a guy who is barely capable of swinging a bat.

That guy actually fields a position.

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:26 PM
AL has also won 8 of the last 12 World Series

That guy actually fields a position.

And wastes a spot in the lineup

bbacn123
The difference is the American League has taken it upon itself to completely change the rules of baseball because they like to "wow" all the idiot, Neanderthal AL fans with more runs.

Wouldn't want to make them think now would we

Travis71902
American league ftw. Someone make a poll.

jump_man23
dont bother...if u werent raised on baseball you'll never like it

melanimal_old
06-02-2010, 01:28 PM
AL has also won 8 of the last 12 World Series

Thats baseball

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 01:32 PM

durrrrr...swing stick hit ball...durrrr..........

^^^

That's the extent of thinking that goes on in an American League game

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:34 PM

^^^

Well then I guess the NL better stop thinking so much, because they have been getting their asses hand to them by the AL for the last decade and a half.

endofdays89
06-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow this thread is gay. Does it really matter what league is better?

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow this thread is gay. Does it really matter what league is better?

Just want to make sure the OP isn't getting bad information from all the NL homers around here.

richard02
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM

^^^

you mean there is someone on first!? fukkin sweet, i didn't want to swing the bat anyway - time to lay down a bunt even though there is one out.

IraHays
06-02-2010, 01:39 PM
You realize what you've just done right?

lulz were had.

melanimal_old
06-02-2010, 01:40 PM
you mean there is someone on first!? fukkin sweet, i didn't want to swing the bat anyway - time to lay down a bunt even though there is one out.

thats baseball

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Well then I guess the NL better stop thinking so much, because they have been getting their asses hand to them by the AL for the last decade and a half.

I ran the numbers last season after IL play and the NL wins around 55% of the games played under the rules of baseball

Meanwhile they only win 35% of the games under the rules of the Neanderthal.

You can't expect a team developed to play with civilized rules to turn around and play well under Neanderthal rules.

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:41 PM

brb striking out while trying to bunt anyways! Whoops!

PatrickBateman1
06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I ran the numbers last season after IL play and the NL wins around 55% of the games played under the rules of baseball

Meanwhile they only win 35% of the games under the rules of the Neanderthal.

You can't expect a team developed to play with civilized rules to turn around and play well under Neanderthal rules.

That's because those rules are in play when the NL is at their home field... and a 55% home field win percentage really isn't that great. If it were a neutral site and played under the NL rules I guarantee the AL would still win a solid majority.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 01:45 PM

brb striking out while trying to bunt anyways! Whoops!

These comments only make you sound more and more Neanderthal like.

Let's not forget the AL likes to build little league parks so those high fly balls go over the wall. Nothing like watching a pop up go for a game winner. :rolleyes:

richard02
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
These comments only make you sound more and more Neanderthal like.

Let's not forget the AL likes to build little league parks so those high fly balls go over the wall. Nothing like watching a pop up go for a game winner. :rolleyes:

thats funny because out of the top 15 in home runs, 9 play in the NL. guess the NL is just stronger?

INeedToGainNJ
06-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Ok ok ok thanks for the information everyone.

So if I'm correct the only difference is the designated hitter?

Like I said, I always knew there was something weird about baseballs leagues. People pick favorites unlike in other sports where it's almost never looked at as a factor till placing in playoff time comes. Just never really bothered to ask before.

So what do they do when it's an NL team vs. a AL team. That seems weird that AL can keep placing a power hitter.

They are in the same exact sport why don't they just make the rules even?

anonymous123
06-02-2010, 01:52 PM
AL fan: HUUURH ME LIKE LONG BALL ME NO LIKE TO THINK ME LIKEY BOOM BOOM ME NO LIKE STRATEGY POW POW POW ME BIG STRONG MAN POW POW

yeah that sounds about right

Keep in mind that's not ALL of the AL. That's just a small section of them that think the DH is actually a good idea. The intelligent ones that I know in real life think it's just as stupid as us NL fans know it is. Seems like it's only people on here that like it (And they tend to be AL East fans as well. And THEY tend to be Boston and Blue Jays fans even moreso. Yankees fans can be smart once in a while.)

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 01:52 PM
thats funny, because 9 out of the top 15 teams in home runs play in the NL. guess the NL is just stronger?

It really is. We're doing it with 8 hitters too.

anonymous123
06-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Like I said, I always knew there was something weird about baseballs leagues. People pick favorites unlike in other sports where it's almost never looked at as a factor till placing in playoff time comes. Just never really bothered to ask before.

So what do they do when it's an NL team vs. a AL team. That seems weird that AL can keep placing a power hitter.

If it's a NL vs. AL game, it goes by the home team's rules.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM

See even this guy knows how much of an advantage the AL has over the NL with those retarded ass rules.

NL cannot be expected to suddenly put Vlad Guerrero in our line-up for 3 weeks of the season, but keep him on the bench for the rest of it because he's too old to play the field.

GetBigyo
06-02-2010, 01:57 PM

The NL also has a pitcher bat in the lineup.

In other words, an automatic out. (Unless it's Tim Hudson)

jkeithc82
06-02-2010, 01:58 PM
thats funny because out of the top 15 in home runs, 9 play in the NL. guess the NL is just stronger?

Yes we have stronger hgh, u mad?

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Nope their pitchers are just ****tier.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Nope their pitchers are just ****tier.

Top 3 ERAs in the NL:

Top 3 ERAs in the AL:

AL fans are so god damn stupid they contradict themselves on a daily basis. First they argue it's so easy to pitch in the NL because the hitters suck, now when our hitters are doing better it's because our pitchers suck?

Which is it guys because I'm confused? We sh*t on you in every way.

lol at your ERA leader being 10th in the NL.

NDame616
06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
See even this guy knows how much of an advantage the AL has over the NL with those retarded ass rules.

NL cannot be expected to suddenly put Vlad Guerrero in our line-up for 3 weeks of the season, but keep him on the bench for the rest of it because he's too old to play the field.

But the AL can expect to go to an NL park and completely fuk with their lineup where they:

A) Lose a top power hitter
B) Force him to play the field
C) Completely fuk with their lineup

Making an AL team play in an NL park is stupid, and gives a huge edge to the NL.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
But the AL can expect to go to an NL park and completely fuk with their lineup where they:

A) Lose a top power hitter
B) Force him to play the field
C) Completely fuk with their lineup

Making an AL team play in an NL park is stupid, and gives a huge edge to the NL.

No it does not. Like I've already explained it's far easier to subtract from a team than to add to a team.

You aren't at a disadvantage because you lose a hitter. We don't have that 9th hitter anyway so how are you put at a disadvantage?

But, flip it around and we're suddenly asked to produce a 9th hitter when we go to your parks? That's really impossible. We can't just sign a guy whose only job is to hit for 9 games of the year. That's just ridiculous to even think about.

What's so hard to understand about that? You have 8 players who play the field and hit just fine. You're not at a disadvantage when we ask you to play those players. You're asking us to play a 9th hitter we don't have.

It would be like us suddenly deciding we wanted to play 12 inning games and structuring our teams around those rules by adding more bullpen pitchers then asking you to play by our rules when you come here when you're not prepared with as many bullpen pitchers because you dont need them under your rules. You wouldn't be very happy about that would you?

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 02:10 PM

And yet the AL teams who sign guys like Guerrero and the other defensive liabilities out there are at no disadvantage when they have to have that investment either sitting on the bench or costing them runs in the field?

IraHays
06-02-2010, 02:13 PM
And yet the AL teams who sign guys like Guerrero and the other defensive liabilities out there are at no disadvantage when they have to have that investment either sitting on the bench or costing them runs in the field?

The NL already has that disavantage and it's for the entire year. Most of the time they get thrown into left field or first base in the NL.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 02:13 PM

You have 8 players who hit and play their position just fine. We're not asking you to add something you don't have. Losing Vlad Guerrero is no disadvantage because we dont have a vlad guerrero to begin with. How is that unfair?

You're basically bitching that you have to play an evenly matched ball game with that argument

"Oh No we lose our DH!!!!"

Well we dont f*cking have one jackass

Greg1983
06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
You aren't at a disadvantage because you lose a hitter. We don't have that 9th hitter anyway so how are you put at a disadvantage?

Because it's an investment that we suddenly lose. Unless you have an infinite payroll like the Yankees, that hurts. If you have two teams with 100 million dollar payrolls and the AL team spent 10 mil on a DH, playing under NL rules is now like pitting a 90 mil team and a 100 mil team against each other. That's a disadvantage. It's not like we can magically turn that 10 mil into upgrading our other positions or pitching staff for a few games a year.

NDame616
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
incoherant rant

Let's simplify this...

The Boston Red Sox play 80% (or whatever) of their games with David Ortiz at DH, and some combination of Youkilis//Beltre/VMart at the corners and catching.

We go to play with the children of the NL, and we lose (usually) Ortiz, Youkilis or Beltre. So, we are substituting one of our top hitters for DiceK...our lineup is much different and worse.

When the children get to come over here and play real baseball, their lineup is automatically improved by substituting ANYONE over their pitcher.

Having the AL teams go play with the children = their lineup greatly decreases
The children coming over to play with the big boys = their lineup improved greatly

jkeithc82
06-02-2010, 02:24 PM

The children coming over to play with the big boys = their lineup improved greatly

I wouldn't say greatly. Who is the best bench hitter on any given NL team who would be the DH in an AL stadium? NL benches don't usually have David Ortiz type bench players, but more utility, spot situation type hitters.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Let's simplify this...

The Boston Red Sox play 80% (or whatever) of their games with David Ortiz at DH, and some combination of Youkilis//Beltre/VMart at the corners and catching.

We go to play with the children of the NL, and we lose (usually) Ortiz, Youkilis or Beltre. So, we are substituting one of our top hitters for DiceK...our lineup is much different and worse.

When the children get to come over here and play real baseball, their lineup is automatically improved by substituting ANYONE over their pitcher.

Under NL rules:
9th hitter = Dice K vs. Kawakami......fair

Under AL rules:
9th hitter = Ortiz/Beltre vs. Infante......unfair

No sh*t having Infante in over KK makes our line-up better numb nuts. That;s not the point. By comparison, our line-up is put at more of a disadvantage by asking us to play something we don't have.

Should the NL start playing 12 innings and adding 3 extra BP guys? Would you enjoy coming here and playing under those rules? F*ck no because your bullpen wouldn't be built to handle it.

The American League changed the f*cking rules right out from under the National League and now have the nerve to bitch about losing their DH when they have to come back and play by the real rules of baseball? Just get the f*ck out.

And for the record the Braves have one of the best benches in the NL. Imagine how much it sucks for the Marlins who are forced to throw in Wes Helms or some sh*t in the DH spot. Real fair...Ortiz vs. Wes Helms. Im thankful the Braves are deep enough to at least put a respectable 9th man out there, even though even we're at a disadvantage (and I believe we have a winning record in IL play all time as well...speaks volumes about our team winning under rules that we're not even prepared for)

NDame616
06-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Under NL rules:
9th hitter = Dice K vs. Kawakami......fair

Under AL rules:
9th hitter = Ortiz/Beltre vs. Infante......unfair

No sh*t having Infante in over KK makes our line-up better numb nuts. That;s not the point. By comparison, our line-up is put at more of a disadvantage by asking us to play something we don't have.

Should the NL start playing 12 innings and adding 3 extra BP guys? Would you enjoy coming here and playing under those rules? F*ck no because your bullpen wouldn't be built to handle it.

The American League changed the f*cking rules right out from under the National League and now have the nerve to bitch about losing their DH when they have to come back and play by the real rules of baseball? Just get the f*ck out.

And for the record the Braves have one of the best benches in the NL. Imagine how much it sucks for the Marlins who are forced to throw in Wes Helms or some sh*t in the DH spot. Real fair...Ortiz vs. Wes Helms. Im thankful the Braves are deep enough to at least put a respectable 9th man out there, even though even we're at a disadvantage (and I believe we have a winning record in IL play all time as well...speaks volumes about our team winning under rules that we're not even prepared for)

Stopped reading after there.

bbacn123
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Stopped reading after there.

It seems ridiculous doesn't it? Now you know how NL fans feel when they see the f*cking DH in the line-up.

The difference is the National League would never do that though. We're not ridiculous enough to use some cheap trick to try and give our league an advantage.