PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone hand check when playing defense(basketball)?

LastChanceToWin
05-31-2010, 06:01 PM
I am thinking of adding the "hand check" defense to my defensive arsenal.

Do I just put 1 or 2 hands on the person and kinda push them back?

I haven't seen hand checking so I am not that sure on how it's done.

JTrain306
05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah, you got it. Just slap em in the face a couple times and grab their ass and you have yourself a good defensive move.

PerfectFormForever
05-31-2010, 06:13 PM
If they're in the post or going for rebounds then yes I do. Sometimes if they're making cuts I'll touch their arm with my hand to keep track of them. But no hand checks out on the perimeter.

sparkblade
05-31-2010, 06:16 PM
One thing our coach told us to do was put a hand on their strong hand and force them to go to their weak hand. Do it quickly and subtly though.

bking10
05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
people get real ****ty when i do it in pickup games

Chitownkid
05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
lots of ppl do that in pick up games .....all you got to do is just push off then crossover and goodnight sweet ankles

MikeyScarfino
05-31-2010, 07:38 PM
xaWTs_RQPLk

JamesGatz83
05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
lots of ppl do that in pick up games .....all you got to do is just push off then crossover and goodnight sweet ankles

Hand-checking is a defensive technique. What you've just described is a blatant offensive foul and generally sh*tty basketball. I could see pushing off on a stepback or in order to get open, but before a crossover? Just going to slow yourself down.

Chitownkid
05-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Hand-checking is a defensive technique. What you've just described is a blatant offensive foul and generally sh*tty basketball. I could see pushing off on a stepback or in order to get open, but before a crossover? Just going to slow yourself down.

offensive foul in pickup game? lulz im not from the suburbs.........if anything handchecking is a foul

its not like i just throw a guy and cross its more like this

J2slRHxFoM4

or jordan on russell

nocbrute
05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
i dont hand check unless im getting hacked
and it happens to me 24/7 -_- ****s annoying as FUUUUCK

KingCanuck
05-31-2010, 09:07 PM
If you dont hand check you aint playing to win brah.

If the dude calls a foul call him out on it and say hes a pussy for calling that in a pick up game. He wont call it again.

gswarrior510
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM

kinda like jordan did every chance he got?

DB791
05-31-2010, 09:51 PM
If someone hand checks me, I'm lowering my shoulder...

JamesGatz83
05-31-2010, 09:54 PM
offensive foul in pickup game? lulz im not from the suburbs.........if anything handchecking is a foul

its not like i just throw a guy and cross its more like this

J2slRHxFoM4

or jordan on russell

It's not called a hand-check when an offensive player does it, it's called a pushoff. And where I'm from people make fun of dudes who are so slow they need to commit blatant pushoffs.

And Jordan's move on Russell was a stepback jumper, not a crossover. He didn't change directions, he stopped and pulled up. And Wade didn't push off in that video.

elpermic
05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
only in the post. will hand check if i feel like shutting a player down.

JamesGatz83
05-31-2010, 09:57 PM

If the dude calls a foul call him out on it and say hes a pussy for calling that in a pick up game. He wont call it again.

Mac_xX
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM

brb steve nash

elpermic
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
brb steve nash

brb can't play defense

Parlor_Mob
05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
If they're in the post or going for rebounds then yes I do. Sometimes if they're making cuts I'll touch their arm with my hand to keep track of them. But no hand checks out on the perimeter.

Pretty much this. Never been called for a foul because of that. Then again, whoever calls a foul for that in a pickup game is a phaggot

_Translucency
05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Pretty much this. Never been called for a foul because of that. Then again, whoever calls a foul for that in a pickup game is a phaggot

I've never called it nor have I seen it called. However, it gets annoying when people do it excessively.

I use it but sparingly, as I feel everyone should.

Chitownkid
05-31-2010, 10:49 PM
It's not called a hand-check when an offensive player does it, it's called a pushoff. And where I'm from people make fun of dudes who are so slow they need to commit blatant pushoffs.

And Jordan's move on Russell was a stepback jumper, not a crossover. He didn't change directions, he stopped and pulled up. And Wade didn't push off in that video.

if neither of those are fouls then that means i dont foul anyone so theres no argument

MiscMessiah
05-31-2010, 10:51 PM
handchecking is illegal now so its a foul

so if someone does it i give them a technical and shoot a free throw during a pick up game u mad?

namean
05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
If you are a good defender then you dont need to handcheck.
I learned this about 3 years ago.
I had trouble guarding this dood cause he was so quick.
I figured out a way to defend him w/out handchecking and he couldnt do a damn thing against me ever since.

dtbrehm
06-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't handcheck much, but I do poke people in the stomach when they're pulling up for a jumper. Pretty effective.

why so ez?
06-01-2010, 02:02 AM
brb steve nash

brb can't play defense

LOL nice.

it's fine if you hand check, but if you're slapping his hand he has every right to call fouls every single time. it's not being a pussy, it's a bitch move to slap the dude's hands.

ChefPhalBignuts
06-01-2010, 03:43 AM
If someone hand checks me, I'm lowering my shoulder...

You're the type I love to play against. Lower your shoulder on me and **** gets serious

BRB, holding you off with 1 arm

I thrive in the trenches :)

batman15
06-01-2010, 05:43 AM
ITT: phaggots

S3RG
06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, you got it. Just slap em in the face a couple times and grab their ass and you have yourself a good defensive move.

Nice tip

Al_Pal
06-01-2010, 10:41 AM
its SUPER effective. but its also pretty cheap....

ill hand check on game point, but thats about it.

itownplayer
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
You just fouled out.

http://i48.tinypic.com/m7gch4.jpg

Max~Power
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
It's one thing to hand check. It's another if you are about to get burnt to the hole and hold the person up on their way to the basket, that's just bad defense. More along the lines of hooking.

I would say if you rely on hand checking then you are in trouble. It would be better to work on your side to side and backing up footwork. I pride myself on staying in front of my player and when he drives keeping a body on him. You aren't always going to block or alter his shot, but you can make it difficult for him.

JTrain306
06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
My friend suggested that I lift low weights, high reps. Should I listen to him?

He believes that I have enough muscle/fat to just make my muscles/body more define, so he suggested that I just stick to low weights, and high reps.

Should I do this?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124942451

Hoop_Dreams
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
I subconsciously hand check. It's a white guys best weapon (no racist)

LOL @ the OP though, his basketball threads always deliver