PDA

View Full Version : 20lbs by july 4th?

brandan86
05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
im a noob when it comes to nutrition, but not exercise.

my question is, can i get down from 225 to 205 by july 4th?

i am doing cardio atleast 3 times a week, and upper body at least twice a week.

also can i bulk my chest and biceps while losing the weight?
i have looked into the nutrition part and i know eating is a guge part of losing weight, can someone point me in the direction of a meal plan?

i know these were alot of questions, most dumb, but im tired of being this big, and the police academy is sneaking up on me if i get in.

brandan86
05-28-2010, 02:53 AM
is it safe to lose 5lbs a week? i have began to eat breakfast, and am slowly adding more meals in the day, i think the 1st of june is the real kick off.

Ryanmcd
05-28-2010, 06:03 AM
So you just eating 1 meal a day? What do you eat daily?

ewitte
05-28-2010, 06:13 AM
Don't think even 1 meal a day will do it unless its done in an unhealthy manner. I had a quick loss the first couple days on warrior but is starting to stabilize somewhere around 1-2lbs/week right now. IDK actual fat may be better than that because I was lazy the last few years and my strength is really starting to pickup faster than it ever did before. Already able to do things I was never able to do before even when I was at my peak and 25lbs less.

pookster01
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
You think you can bulk up on one meal a day???

ewitte
05-28-2010, 07:57 AM
You think you can bulk up on one meal a day???

Calories are what matter. People are doing it although much slower. Most of the time without the fat gains normally associated with bulking up.

brandan86
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I would usually eat dinner. And that was usually some sort of pasta.

Now I eat something when I wake up, cereal, pop tart, something. Then later in the day ill eat a lunch of some sort, then the dinner as usual.

I work as a security officer so my schedule is all over the place. Sometimes I work days, sometimes overnights.

brandan86
06-01-2010, 06:06 PM
so no difinitive answers then? guess ill just bust my @$$ and see what happens. its the 1st. got one month.

metroins
06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
As long as you busted your ass the entire time be happy with whatever results you get. Not gonna say yay or nay but 225-214 has taken me a month and I expect 214 - 200 is going to take two months.

33Green
06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
im a noob when it comes to nutrition, but not exercise.

my question is, can i get down from 225 to 205 by july 4th?

i am doing cardio atleast 3 times a week, and upper body at least twice a week.

also can i bulk my chest and biceps while losing the weight?
i have looked into the nutrition part and i know eating is a guge part of losing weight, can someone point me in the direction of a meal plan?

i know these were alot of questions, most dumb, but im tired of being this big, and the police academy is sneaking up on me if i get in.

It's possible. Crunch it down it's what... 4 lbs a week? I don't know if you could reach your goal with what you're doing though, unless your doing HIIT quite often than not. And no, if you're trying to lose 20 lb's in a month and bulk up it's never going to work; different workout plan and diet altogether. Your diet is essential for your goal to lose the weight, I recommend finding out your BMR and going from there. You won't maintain anything if you're starving yourself and you just won't have the energy.

For a good meal plan for yourself I recommend searching the site and the forums, they're packed with information. Good luck.

brandan86
06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Well after looking into the forums more, rather than just skimming, I have found a few answers.

I'm going to continue to do cardio three times a week, with upper body twice a week.

I'm going to eat atleast three times a day. As well as protien shakes etc.

mgalli921
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
check out my thread / log under Keto logs (nutrition--> keto logs) I lost a lot of weight.. fast with Keto and continuing to lose more

I'm talking like 40lbs in 3 months ish

jake1224
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Not sure if you're still reading the thread, but...no. Whatever answers you found are silly.

If you wanna drop 5 pounds a week, well, there's basic guidelines. That's a rigid goal, so you need rigid rules. It's not practical, but..yeah. These aren't "facts" but merely what I've learned from reading/my own experience.

1) No liquid but water, ever. If ANYTHING, skim milk, coffee or diet drinks (sparingly).

2) 1g Protein/lb of bodyweight. Meaning, 225g protein a day. (Stock up on canned Tuna/Chunk Chicken, sh*tload of protein for the calories, no fat, no carbs.)

3) Something like a 40/40/20 split. as a total spitball, i'd say 230g Protein, 150g Carbs, 60g Fat or so. Maybe, but that's the idea.

4) If you're getting your protein, technically you can make a large deficit and get away with it. I eat 800-900 under maintenance just fine, before factoring in exercise.

5) Duh, find your maintenance. I'd suggest calculating from several different sources/formulas and averaging them.

6) No alcohol. Cheat, if you must, once every two weeks. ONE meal, not one day. (you must still meet your protein goals).

7) Do cardio no more than weight training; Meaning 5 days cardio/3 days weight training = bad.

8) Stop "training upper body". That's such naive horsesh*t, i'm sorry. Body likes to be challenged, I'd suggest switching to a fullbody strength routine (Rippetoe's maybe) and hit every.muscle. Squat and deadlift, really. Just really.

9) Mind over matter. Walk past that buffet, ignore that bag of chips being offered to you.
If you must, must must must snack/binge, find something tasty/healthy.

10) Get ahold of a multivitamin and fish oil supplement (Optimum Nutrition makes excellent products for both). Indisputably essential.

You can change a traditional "dirty" food into something clean without sacrificing anything but several hundred calories. Example:
Turkey Bacon Cheeseburger (turkey patty, whole wheat bun, turkey bacon, low-fat cheese.)

brandan86
06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
^^^^ wow that was pretty down and dirty

dule79
06-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, I can't tell how I'm losing 2 pounds every 2-3 days (it's a bit more than 4 pounds a week) I've lost about 22lbs in just one month, and I'm keep going down:

- Morning run 6 times a week, ~35 minutes each. I run before any meal, on empty stomach. Along with that, I eat 1-2 hours before sleep so my morning runs can't do any harm.

- I don't drink anything but water (a lot of water), less than a cup of 0-fat yogurt a day, several cups of green tea and cup or two of coffee. No sugar added.

- Sure, I eat less and much slower. Also (even I know it sounds bad) I eat max 3 times a day. Before and after every meal I drink 1-2 cups of water. Also if I feel hungry in a meanwhile, I drink water, or make me a tea. That fulfills me pretty well.

Cheers.

brandan86
06-03-2010, 04:24 PM
sounds good. i will run more, and i will try green tea as my wife just started drinking it.

dule79
06-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't know how familiar with green teas you are. But I strongly suggest "matcha green tea". It's a tea in a powder, about 10-100 times richer in antioxidants, EGCG and good stuff. You may do your own internet research.
Anyway it costs lot more than regular green tea (last time I bought matcha for some 20$ and it was enough for around 25-26 cups.

Regular "sencha" and "oolong" are much cheaper and they're great as well.
However, you should avoid tea in bags like Lipton's, Twinings, etc. It's like oil canned tuna compared to fresh tuna fillets.

You can also mix 1/2 tsp of cinnamon with sencha, since cinnamon is good for lowering blood sugar

brandan86
06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
ok so i slacked crazy, but now have a new goal. got the police department exam on july 21st. so im gunna shoot for that date.