PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick a lot! Vitamins?

toneekay
05-25-2010, 08:25 AM
So over the course of a 3 month span, I've been getting sick. The past months I've been to the doctor 3 times (about once a month). I'll be sick, go to the doctors, get meds, get better... Then the weather would turn to crap, and I'll be sick again!

I'm assuming I have a weak immune system, and lifting isn't helping it get any better. I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and get in enough of the rest of the food pyramid. Is there any recommendations I should look into with boosting my immune system? Possibly a multivitamin? Would this really help?

waatsgood
05-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Take a good multi like orange triad and sleep more.

toneekay
05-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Are there any others out there? How about Centrum? I notice my parents have cases of these at their house, so if that'll work the same, I can just grab a few from them. haha >=]

seanb1979
05-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I like the ON opti-men vitamins. I'm somewhat of a hands washing nut, and pretty much never get sick, and I think that has a lot to do with it too.

desslok
05-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Are there any others out there? How about Centrum? I notice my parents have cases of these at their house, so if that'll work the same, I can just grab a few from them. haha >=]

Not the best, but hey if they are free. Then you can save money and buy a good fish oil supp and a good D3.

toneekay
05-25-2010, 09:12 AM
What kind of fish oil and D3 should I look into getting?

Is there a multivit out there where it has all of these things into one?

chico222
05-25-2010, 09:14 AM
orange triad has an immune complex. i take 'em and never get sick anymore

desslok
05-25-2010, 09:17 AM
What kind of fish oil and D3 should I look into getting?

Is there a multivit out there where it has all of these things into one?

Many multivitamins are based on RDA, which is basically the BARE minimum so you don't get things like rickets and scurvey, etc. Sure you can find multis with vitamin D, and even get some in milk that has addes D, but optimally some studies show you should get 10 or 20 times the amount in most multis.

Personally I like the Carlson's fish oil, althought it's pricey. Do you have Henry's or Boney's marketplaces by you? Cause you can find good deals on those types of vits there.

toneekay
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
No Henry's or Boney's... We have a some Central Markets and Whole Food's around here that's similar... I may have to go shopping around for deals around town; I want to virtually purchase all vits in store than online, it's just more easier for me.

desslok
05-25-2010, 09:29 AM
OK, Whole Foods has everything and the people working in the vit section are usually pretty knowledgable. Only problem is they tend to be pricey. But that place has a lot of good stuff, natural PBs, ready made foods, etc. I love Whole Foods, i feel healthier just walking into that place.

toneekay
05-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Yea, I usually buy my fruits and other little things there. They seem to always have the freshest fruits at the location I go to, and it's hard finding yummy fruits out here in Texas.

I'll check out Whole Foods later today for some fish oil & D3, and probably look around for this Orange Triad. Hopefully I can get back into lifting without getting sick again haha!

Thanks for the help folks!

seanb1979
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm a big fan of now ultra omega 3.

One benefit of being in boise is the bodybuilding.com store, and all shipping is next day :D

toneekay
05-25-2010, 10:14 AM
That must be nice to have the BB store there. All those deals and bargains ughhshsssklmsdklfmfenf damm you dallas! (we have nothing :()

doberdan
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
That must be nice to have the BB store there. All those deals and bargains ughhshsssklmsdklfmfenf damm you dallas! (we have nothing :()

ive had the exact same experience as you, getting sick then getting better after medication and getting sick again as soon as the weather went crap. this lasted about 5 months for me. i started taking vitamin d3 5000 iu a day and have been good every since. the only thing thats worked for me

ParsleyTea
05-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I've been taking 8000ius of D3 a day for around 4 years and haven't had a cold since. It has worked well for me.

An article I liked on what to look for when purchasing D3.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/getting-vitamin-d-right.html

toneekay
05-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I've been taking 8000ius of D3 a day for around 4 years and haven't had a cold since. It has worked well for me.

Good read!

seanb1979
05-25-2010, 11:19 AM

What d3 supp did you settle on?

LiftedMind
05-25-2010, 12:12 PM
From my own experience, I remember getting sick when I over trained from gym and work. Maybe this is the case for you? Are you recovering enough?

monka13
05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
So over the course of a 3 month span, I've been getting sick. The past months I've been to the doctor 3 times (about once a month). I'll be sick, go to the doctors, get meds, get better... Then the weather would turn to crap, and I'll be sick again!

I'm assuming I have a weak immune system, and lifting isn't helping it get any better. I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and get in enough of the rest of the food pyramid. Is there any recommendations I should look into with boosting my immune system? Possibly a multivitamin? Would this really help?

I had the same problem and I started taking (Glutamine,Acidophilus,Vitamin-C and a good Multi Vitamin high B-comlex.) Keep in mind that you may not be getting sick, it may be allergies>>

Fury22
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm sure that again someone will greatly disagree with me and I'll get flamed for being a Paleo-zealot but....

I found than eliminating grains from my diet did wonders for my immune system. I have horrible seasonal allergies, but this year at the most I have a day only a few times where I started sneezing, maybe 2-3 days.

You can try it and see if you want. I still eat potatoes, about 2 servings of fruit a day, and a lot vegetables so I don't eat very low carb. But my immune system has never been better.

Again just asuggestion before you go and spend a ton of money on supplements.