PDA

View Full Version : the delusion of religion

BigBeard86
05-22-2010, 12:22 PM
something that came to my mind - people say we are here to be tested right? well, what kind of test is it for the people who were around os called prophets/Gods? i mean, if you saw a man heal llepers and blind and rasie people from the dead, what kind of f*cking faith would u need to have to NOT believe?

on the other hand - what about those people that werent fooled b these people? if they were so true every1 would believe. cmon - you cant deny resurrecting a person from his grave - that beyond david blaine sh*t.

also, why did God choose ot send religions in tiems of ignorance and barbarism. why not send it down in time of technology so this stuff can be recorded and not be so confused, misinterpretated, and misused by people today?

Hagakure24
05-22-2010, 12:23 PM
something that came to my mind - people say we are here to be tested right? well, what kind of test is it for the people who were around os called prophets/Gods? i mean, if you saw a man heal llepers and blind and rasie people from the dead, what kind of f*cking faith would u need to have to NOT believe?

on the other hand - what about those people that werent fooled b these people? if they were so true every1 would believe. cmon - you cant deny resurrecting a person from his grave - that beyond david blaine sh*t.

also, why did God choose ot send religions in tiems of ignorance and barbarism. why not send it down in time of technology so this stuff can be recorded and not be so confused, misinterpretated, and misused by people today?

why don't you pray for an answer and get back to us big buddy.

BigBeard86
05-22-2010, 12:27 PM
i did he he told me to ask here.

cman1787
05-22-2010, 01:40 PM
a true master has said that we are on earth because of unfullfilled desires and that life is full of tests, but tests are only meant to strengthen us.

JAGERBOY
05-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Yup, makes no sense whatsoever. Why provide all this tangible and observable proof in a time when people were much more ignorant of the universe? Why wouldn't you show these things in a much more scientific and skeptical time?

smokeater
05-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Yup, makes no sense whatsoever. Why provide all this tangible and observable proof in a time when people were much more ignorant of the universe? Why wouldn't you show these things in a much more scientific and skeptical time?

I guess the canned "religious" answer would be that it would require a large degree of faith. If we had digital footage on youtube of Jesus feeding 5000 we wouldn't need an ounce of faith to believe it.

I'd say that people were much more skeptical back in biblical times. After all they used to kill people that they thought were speaking false truths. Can you imagine a bunch of scientists calling for the death of an individual who questioned evolution? That's what you had the equivalent of back then.

A few years ago when I began my public order (riot control) training I was given a book that studied the Spartan Phalynx, as that was one of the most successful tactics ever employed in battle. This book was somewhere between 200-300 pages and very detailed. It talked about the reasoning and logic behind techniques, offensive and defensive maneuvers. It even covered breathing techniques. And this is material that came from somewhere between 11th Century BC to 195 BC. All this information has survived thousands of years and people just accept it. However when it comes to religious texts, that have been passed on through the years in the exact same way, now there is a demand for proof and scientific information. Suddenly because something was published 50 years after it happened, it's not reliable. Or because an author didn't witness something first hand his credibility is gone. Seems a bit hypocritical to me that there is 2 different standards when it comes to stuff like this.

JAGERBOY
05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I guess the canned "religious" answer would be that it would require a large degree of faith. If we had digital footage on youtube of Jesus feeding 5000 we wouldn't need an ounce of faith to believe it.1. So why didn't the people that supposedly witnessed in in person not required to possess the same amount of faith as we are today?
2. Why is faith necessary?

I'd say that people were much more skeptical back in biblical times. After all they used to kill people that they thought were speaking false truths. Can you imagine a bunch of scientists calling for the death of an individual who questioned evolution? That's what you had the equivalent of back then.People were MORE skeptical in those days? Really?

A few years ago when I began my public order (riot control) training I was given a book that studied the Spartan Phalynx, as that was one of the most successful tactics ever employed in battle. This book was somewhere between 200-300 pages and very detailed. It talked about the reasoning and logic behind techniques, offensive and defensive maneuvers. It even covered breathing techniques. And this is material that came from somewhere between 11th Century BC to 195 BC. All this information has survived thousands of years and people just accept it. However when it comes to religious texts, that have been passed on through the years in the exact same way, now there is a demand for proof and scientific information. Suddenly because something was published 50 years after it happened, it's not reliable. Or because an author didn't witness something first hand his credibility is gone. Seems a bit hypocritical to me that there is 2 different standards when it comes to stuff like this.The difference is that religious texts discuss things that are not commonly accepted as being able to occur in reality e.g. walking on water, rising from the dead, flying on horses etc etc. If I told you I played basketball yesterday, you would probably believe me. If I told you I played basketball against Lebron James and beat him in a 1 on 1 game, you'd probably want to see a video i.e. want more evidence. And think about it, thats not even a "supernatural" occurence and you would still want more proof. When you start discussing the "supernatural", the standard of proof must be increased. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

BigBeard86
05-22-2010, 03:52 PM
yea that was my point before. even if you are a mongoloid, seeing somone walk on water and raise the dead would make you believe even if you had ZERO faith.

illriginalized
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Civilize the savages as they had no sense of moral direction.

HalalMuscle
05-23-2010, 02:55 AM

Your last question contradicts your first!

I'll answer your last Q the way you answered your first............... "what kind of f*cking faith would u need to have to NOT believe?"!!

PixelVibration
05-23-2010, 03:06 AM

Go to tribal amazon. You see mothers caring for children, and men making their own morals. These people live and die in the jungle with almost no technology. There can be morals without organized religion written down in scripture.

Look at the Islamic world. Beheadings, amputations, hangings for what.... being gay?

Religion does not make one civil.

ChicagoMan
05-23-2010, 03:06 AM
This thread is boring, youre generlizing an entire group of people as delusional. You dont know anything more then the next person, yet you think youre superior because your an atheist. But your the minority in that sense of belief. How could you literally not believe in a creator in way or another, no one is forcing religion down your throat, but to not believe in some form of a creator be it God or whatever you prefer, is kind of wierd in my opinion. How could you believe in: "nothing." I could never lead a life like that, and its not that I fear going to 'hell', so I believe just "because." Its because I truly believe there is a purpose to this life, be it this "life" is a test, or be it that a creator I refer to as God, decided to create and give us "life." Just "living" feels wierd to me, I cant explain it.

PixelVibration
05-23-2010, 03:18 AM
This thread is boring, youre generlizing an entire group of people as delusional. You dont know anything more then the next person, yet you think youre superior because your an atheist. But your the minority in that sense of belief. How could you literally not believe in a creator in way or another, no one is forcing religion down your throat, but to not believe in some form of a creator be it God or whatever you prefer, is kind of wierd in my opinion. How could you believe in: "nothing." I could never lead a life like that, and its not that I fear going to 'hell', so I believe just "because." Its because I truly believe there is a purpose to this life, be it this "life" is a test, or be it that a creator I refer to as God, decided to create and give us "life." Just "living" feels wierd to me, I cant explain it.

superior in what, logic?

jimbob007
05-23-2010, 05:24 AM
[QUOTE=ChicagoMan;494297721]This thread is boring, youre generlizing an entire group of people as delusional.

Well isn't worshipping an invisible being somewhat delusional? Kids play with imaginary buddies, but grow out of it. Theists spends their entire lives praying to theirs.

You dont know anything more then the next person, yet you think youre superior because your an atheist

I doubt it, we are for the most part just able to be logical & rational in every facet of our life. Unlike theists who are mostly rational in everyday actions- but when religion comes into it lose all sense of logic.

But your the minority in that sense of belief.

Well the majority believe that a bearded man created the earth in a week, this bearded man of course also had to of come from somewhere- proving evolution & putting paid to the theist argument. The minority of us on the other hand look at science & think rationally based on that science vs scripture/dogma & come to the only logical conclusion- that the evidence for God is nil & the chance of him existing is highly improbable.

How could you literally not believe in a creator in way or another,

How could anybody believe in a creator when there is no evidence for it & so much evidence of evolution?

no one is forcing religion down your throat,

Not much- only the Jehovah's knocking on your door, only the people stopping you in the street trying to give you leaflets & while the UK is not so bad there are certain parts of America where people are scared to say they are an atheist, because they know their business would go bust if they did. Plus while America has elected a black man & would also elect a woman, they would never elect an atheist- just look at Bush's comments on Atheists.

but to not believe in some form of a creator be it God or whatever you prefer, is kind of wierd in my opinion.

Much weirder that people believe in beings for which there is zero evidence. If people hear strange voices in their head then they get psychiatric help- yet people hear God's voice & that is accepted as normal.

How could you believe in: "nothing." I could never lead a life like that, and its not that I fear going to 'hell', so I believe just "because." Its because I truly believe there is a purpose to this life, be it this "life" is a test, or be it that a creator I refer to as God, decided to create and give us "life." Just "living" feels wierd to me, I cant explain it.

You hit the nail on the head- you cannot explain it, you just believe. Yet if I told you to jump off a cliff & God would save you then would you do it? Would you believe somebody if they told you they had a medicine that could cure any disease & you could have it for all the money you had & your home as collateral- but you could not test it first?

GoJu
05-23-2010, 08:34 AM

animals have better morals than some humans

liegelord
05-23-2010, 03:44 PM

Jesus taught repentance and rebirth. If you saw Jesus perform a miracle you would believe he existed and he did a miracle, but would you go through the repentance process and be reborn? Probably not. Seeing may be believing, but it doesn't follow you'll have the inner evolution he taught. The disciples didn't all get it after all they saw.

illriginalized
05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Go to tribal amazon. You see mothers caring for children, and men making their own morals. These people live and die in the jungle with almost no technology. There can be morals without organized religion written down in scripture.

Look at the Islamic world. Beheadings, amputations, hangings for what.... being gay?

lol... so you're tellin me that out in the Amazon... Brazil's Amazon, they don't have any spiritual guidance? Think really hard where the location of this Amazon is, and where the Mayans (for example) existed.

If you mention any indigenous people from South America, they're religious or spiritual I should say.

ChicagoMan
05-23-2010, 07:20 PM

They believe in the earth, the sun, etc. They also previously used to sacrafice, cut the womans clitorous, and lots of other extreme things. What does everything wrong in the world have to do with there not being a God? I guess unless the world is 100% peaceful then God must be fake in your opinion. But at the same time you believe in a creator, which is God.