PDA

View Full Version : Eating disorder help!

wtness_jr
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I would not really say I have completely recovered from my eating disorder/s but I do feel I have made alot of progress to the point where I don't think I would ever go back and I am pretty confident in my 'normal' eating habits :). However, through this whole recovery journey I gained more weight than my ideal or healthy weight (slightly overweight) But, I'm not a naturally thin person anyway nor have I ever been prior to the eating disorder.

Has anyone gone from being too thin to having to lose some weight? How did you deal with it? I certainly do not want to go back to obsessing over calories and extreme exercise & dieting then binging BUT eating intuitively is not really allowing me to lose weight. However, I do feel that any sort of 'diet' per se does make me anxious and uncomfortable. My real question is, is it ok/safe to push myself to complete the weight loss and be happy with my body? OR is it safer to just let go of the whole weight thing for a while? (not advocating being an unhealthy weight in any way mind you I know its not right)

I would appreciate anyones advice!

ambeeg3
05-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Well I would not really say I have completely recovered from my eating disorder/s but I do feel I have made alot of progress to the point where I don't think I would ever go back and I am pretty confident in my 'normal' eating habits :). However, through this whole recovery journey I gained more weight than my ideal or healthy weight (slightly overweight) But, I'm not a naturally thin person anyway nor have I ever been prior to the eating disorder.

Has anyone gone from being too thin to having to lose some weight? How did you deal with it? I certainly do not want to go back to obsessing over calories and extreme exercise & dieting then binging BUT eating intuitively is not really allowing me to lose weight. However, I do feel that any sort of 'diet' per se does make me anxious and uncomfortable. My real question is, is it ok/safe to push myself to complete the weight loss and be happy with my body? OR is it safer to just let go of the whole weight thing for a while? (not advocating being an unhealthy weight in any way mind you I know its not right)

I would appreciate anyones advice!

I have been there. I was in a healthy weight range always though. I was about 135 pounds and got down to 100, which was really unhealthy for me. Then i got back up to 130.. where im at now, and im now cutting for my next show, when i should come in around 120. It is always a struggle for me. I think anyone who has ever had an eating disorder at any point in their life will have struggles with it..always. There will always be something that comes up, that will remind you of it, or make you want to do it again. Im dealing with that right now actually. I can become obsessed with losing weight. Now, that im cutting im losing weight, and im loving the results right now, and im feeling GREAT. thats when i get obsessed with it, when im feeling great, and small. i know i only need to cut to about 120-125 pounds, but im going to have to struggle with stopping at that point. I was like you, obsessing over calories and excercise. (it was considered excercise bulemia for me).. Also, when i got down to 100 pounds, i would binge a lot, then do severe dieting. It wasmy body's way of telling me that i wasnt eating enough. If it is however, making you anxious and uncomfortable at this point, i wouldnt continue with it. I would continue to recover from this. I know it took me a year before i was able to get back into the mindset of gaining weight, and bulking, and getting back into competing. Your going to have to let your mind rest for a while, and really look into it, and find yourself where YOU are happy. I wouldnt push myself at this point, i would take it slow and steady, while recovering at the same time. Hope this helped :) good luck.

wtness_jr
05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Thankyou so much! I completely know how you feel when you say there will always be something that comes up that makes you want to do it again; either losing weight, dieting, exercising, feeling smaller! It always brings back memories. And its very true the binging does come many times from undereating, dieting. Its pretty hard not being able to get back into it comfortably, but I think the wait to reach my goals is worth it. Good luck with everything and congratulations your doing great!!