PDA

View Full Version : Need to lose weight and grow muscle need guidance , please help !

AMRICAN61
05-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Hello,
Im a newbie so please be patient with me, this whole change is new and confusing. here are my details:

48 yr. old male, 5'7" , 240 pounds last weight 2 weeks ago , began training 6 weeks ago at a gym , finally got the workout thing figured out. I've lost 15 pounds in the first 4 weeks, I never joined a gym before this so I didn't know about working muscle groups and such. I go 5 days a week, do 30 min. cardio ( treadmill) at 3.2 with varying incline thru out, then I do some abs workout , leg lifts and crunchs, then weights for a total of about 2 hours each workout.

So heres my problem.

I know that I need to lower my calorie intake , so I'm about 1800 calories a day , low fat and carbs, eating fruits and veggies, no junk food or my fav pizza. But every article I read says that for my weight I should be doing 2880 calories a day , 360 g. in protein, 240g in carbs, 96 g. in fat .I find that a bit excessive and counter productive, but I don't know, would,nt I gain weight if i ate that much. I'm trying to figure out how to lose weight and develop my upper body while losing 30 yrs of fat around my belly. can anyone help me , please.

I need to know how much protein , fat, carbs and calories I should be eating daily to achieve my goals. any recipies or links would be greatly appreciated. thanks !

Carlos

kusok
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
When losing fat the idea is to lose 1 lbs per week. (2lbs per week at most, 0.5 at least)
If you eat too little for your size your metabolism and other body functions suffer, so does your muscle mass.
So don't get all wrapped up in numbers! Simply check yourself: Are you losing 1 lbs per week? If yes you're doing good. If not, adjust calories slightly.

AMRICAN61
05-18-2010, 09:37 AM
When losing fat the idea is to lose 1 lbs per week. (2lbs per week at most, 0.5 at least)
If you eat too little for your size your metabolism and other body functions suffer, so does your muscle mass.
So don't get all wrapped up in numbers! Simply check yourself: Are you losing 1 lbs per week? If yes you're doing good. If not, adjust calories slightly.

Thanks man , I appreciate your comments. I've lost another 6 pounds in the last 2 weeks , I'm down to 235.