PDA

View Full Version : Is a Pre-Bedtime meal unimportant?

Daio
05-17-2010, 12:58 AM
So, meal timing is not an issue, its all about getting your macros in during the 24 hr day.
So why are people always going on about a pre bedtime meal/snack eg Casein, cottage cheese, milk etc??

Cheers :)

dizzay20
05-17-2010, 01:05 AM
So, meal timing is not an issue, its all about getting your macros in during the 24 hr day.
So why are people always going on about a pre bedtime meal/snack eg Casein, cottage cheese, milk etc??

cuz broscience is very rampant in the bodybuilding community.

eleesr
05-17-2010, 01:20 AM

Wait wut?
Would say meal timing and what that meal is is extremely important.

lildave
05-17-2010, 01:20 AM
cuz broscience is very rampant in the bodybuilding community.

weird... cuz people that have PHD's following their names suggest having something before bed.
if it just came down to macros and calories would that mean that I could eat 4-5000 calories the first hour I'm awake assuming I have all teh macros I need and then just not eat the rest of the day and expect to get results?
Knowing what to feed your body and when to feed it is more important than breaking down macros..

Daio
05-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Cheers for the answers guys!
Would seem to be mixed messages :$
Anyone else with any opinions :)

EngUAFitness
05-17-2010, 06:19 AM
I think it isn't a huge deal, calories in the end matters more, but it could help

I like pre-bed meals 1) because I'm hungry and 2) like knowing I have something for my body to feed on through the night

Sendug
05-17-2010, 06:22 AM
My stomachs usually rumbling about 1hr - 30 mins before bed so I down a shake with some PB or peanut oil in it. The reasons being A) like above, I'm hungry and B) makes up the last of my calories.

Bum-Life
05-17-2010, 07:20 AM
if you need the extra calories, I find it easyer to eat allot of smaller meals, so why not use pre bed as another meal time.

main reason i always eat before bed = i feel like trash either 4-5am when i wake up to pee (super hungry) or when i wake up for good i have that "too hungry to eat feeling" that ruins my breakfast.

does it make a difference getting those calories at a different time ? honestly im not sure, but if it did or didnt, id still be eating before bed time every night.

BunkMoreland
05-17-2010, 08:09 AM
i'm no more educated on this than your average broscientist, but i've read peeps saying that meal timing is unimportant except for first thing in morning, pre and post WO and pre-bed. that may be bullsnot, but I haven't had trouble following it. if not, ignorance and bliss and whatnot

patouk
05-17-2010, 08:17 AM
IMO i just think that that it is important to get Pre-workout meal of some sort, Post workout meal and something before bed (for me it is always CC and PB with some ON casein powder mixed with water and set in freezer for 20 min) . Other spots can be filled with whatever you want when you want so long as you are fitting them into your needs for the day. Just my opinion.

AustrianOakJr
05-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Whoever told you meal timing is unimportant is misleading you. Yes, calorie/macro ratios are of the greatest importance. But meal timing is also important. There are certain times of the day that nutrients are best partitioned to building muscle or providing energy for workouts. Its much better to go to bed with food in your stomach as bed time is grow time.

jenmendez89
05-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I do it so i don't have a fat attack later on. Plus i can't sleep well if i'm too hungry

metroins
05-17-2010, 04:45 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119024341

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Really it comes down to your personal body, preferences and needs. Decide what's best for you.

PBateman2
05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119024341

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Really it comes down to your personal body, preferences and needs. Decide what's best for you.

^BAM. It is somewhat broscience as well. Depends on what your diet is like, what your training is like, bodytype, etc..

I eat nothing after 6:00pm and train fasted. I do make sure I hit all my calories and macros - thats what counts at the end of the day.

Daio
05-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Ok, thnx guys for responses.....repp'd :)

Daio
05-18-2010, 01:13 AM
Ok, thnx guys for responses.....repp'd :)

:$ run out of reps today...will try & remember tmoz :(

supern0va
05-18-2010, 01:26 AM
i'm no more educated on this than your average broscientist, but i've read peeps saying that meal timing is unimportant except for first thing in morning, pre and post WO and pre-bed. that may be bullsnot, but I haven't had trouble following it. if not, ignorance and bliss and whatnot

You've heard that meal-timing is unimportant yet you go on to list that it's important at 4 specific times of the day...