PDA

View Full Version : Sea Food & Mercury

dbmkay
05-16-2010, 11:49 PM
I was curious how much seafood you typically consume in an average week? We've all heard about mercury poisoning and I'm wondering if I really have to worry about it if I eat tuna in one meal & fish in another almost every day? When I see the sample menu's of the fitness competitor of the week and such, they always have seafood in at least one meal if not more. Does the average bodybuilder/Fitness competitor eat that much fish or do you think they switch it up often? Some ppl seem really strict and seem to stick to the same things day after day. I love seafood so it's always a protein of choice for me, but I certainly don't want to eat to much!

Vamlor
05-17-2010, 06:57 AM
I used to eat 3 cans of tuna a day and it never affected me. I researched it awhile back and as far as I could tell no one has ever actually gotten mercury poisoning from eating fish. The only reason I don't eat as much tuna anymore is because I can't stand the taste

BLab5
05-17-2010, 06:58 AM
(i preface this post by saying i have no links to articles, i am not a pro. this is just from what i've read before and heard discussed)

mercury levels are higher are usually found to be higher in bigger fish or predatory fish: so tuna, shark, swordfish.

in fish that are smaller or do not feed on others, such as trout, salmon, tilapia, the levels are low/marginal. (shrimp are ok too) -- that's why pregnant women can eat those types of fish.

in order to have any mercury "poisoning" i would think you would have to start taking in rather large levels before it would become a serious issue.

you can definitely make the argument for eating the same thing every day; however, to me that gets very boring. switching food up is what breaks up the monotony. so i always keep fish to 1-3 meals a week. mostly b/c i've found that i can get more miles out of chicken than anything else.

-- dunno if my post helped or not. good luck w/ your search.

ps: look at asian cuisine. japan's diet centers around seafood, i've read of no mercury poisoning coming from that country yet. mmmmm....sushi....