PDA

View Full Version : In all honesty, what's up with Iraq?

leafs43
05-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Haven't heard a peep out of this in at least a year.

What are the current conditions aside from the occasional bombing? I tried a Google search, checked major news outlets. Nothing really.

I mean is the situation good? Bad? Was the US actually successful?

6packsummer
05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
what are you talking about OP?

there is no war since Obama tookover

well atleast according to CODE PINK, who hasnt made a protest or stormed recruiting offices.

farquezy
05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
I mean is the situation good? Bad? Was the US actually successful?at what?

nutsy54
05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
We are continuing a slow, steady drawdown in Iraq. From a high around 150,000, we recently dipped below 100,000. If all goes super-well, we'll be around 50,000 by this fall. That number will pretty much maintain until 2011. Final withdrawal date for all forces is Dec, 2011.

Meanwhile, troop numbers in Afghanistan are rapidly expanding to approach the goal of around 100,000.

As a previous post alluded to... There's been a significant "shift" in coverage and response to these wars. Apparently, there was a partisan element to the original and long-standing opposition, which almost instantly evaporated in late January, 2009. So, that's one reason you haven't been hearing too much about either war.

nutsy54
05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
at what?A brutal, murderous, warmongering dictator is gone. The country is steadily moving under the control of its own citizens.

http://ryanhassebrook.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/iraq_vote_540-7755341.jpg

Halfway
05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd like to see an accounting of the money the US is spending on buying goodwill from militas as part of the drawdown - if that money goes then you'll have a lot of angry, armed young men with no jobs looking for trouble.

and yes the 'illegal war' became a 'humanitarian mission' sometime around the start of last year, hence the lack of coverage on anything but bombings.

ZenBowman
05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I'd like to see an accounting of the money the US is spending on buying goodwill from militas as part of the drawdown - if that money goes then you'll have a lot of angry, armed young men with no jobs looking for trouble.

and yes the 'illegal war' became a 'humanitarian mission' sometime around the start of last year, hence the lack of coverage on anything but bombings.

The idea is to bootstrap Iraq. Once it gets going, the government will have enough oil wealth to continue buying goodwill for a little while. Once the state is significantly powerful, then they will be able to (a) employ the main troublemakers under some government position, thereby neutralizing them, (b) buy the services of clerics who will lend the state some Islamic street-cred and (c) be strong enough to crush any minor insurgencies that do spring up.

That's the plan, and it's not a bad one. Whether it works or not, time will tell....

The US has gotten about 100x better at counterinsurgency since 2006 or so, it's a whole new attitude, sparked (from what I know) by how the Iraq surge was managed by General Petraeus.

Halfway
05-16-2010, 08:19 PM
The idea is to bootstrap Iraq. Once it gets going, the government will have enough oil wealth to continue buying goodwill for a little while. Once the state is significantly powerful, then they will be able to (a) employ the main troublemakers under some government position, thereby neutralizing them, (b) buy the services of clerics who will lend the state some Islamic street-cred and (c) be strong enough to crush any minor insurgencies that do spring up.

That's the plan, and it's not a bad one. Whether it works or not, time will tell....

The US has gotten about 100x better at counterinsurgency since 2006 or so, it's a whole new attitude, sparked (from what I know) by how the Iraq surge was managed by General Petraeus.

yep, they should have just bankrolled the baathists from day one on the condition they allowed a free election (or close to) and GTFO out back in '04

bribing terrorists worked very well in Ireland so it's good they finally learned how to patch it up.

I suspect it will all crash and burn in the end though and probably end up with a theocracy or another dictator

Spetsnazos
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Well we are actually withdrawing thanks to Obama instead of staying in there for 100 years like McCain would want to

leafs43
05-16-2010, 08:55 PM
Well we are actually withdrawing thanks to Obama instead of staying in there for 100 years like McCain would want to

No one eat the troll bait.

pilly420
05-16-2010, 09:14 PM

http://i40.tinypic.com/xqieec.jpg

_AdaM_
05-16-2010, 09:18 PM
I think that Obama speech he held in Egypt made an impact.

GeorgeCarlinJr
05-16-2010, 09:21 PM

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4672/xqieec.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/i/xqieec.jpg/)

JuanDenver
05-16-2010, 09:22 PM
What is this war you speak of?

Dear leader has created a worldwide peaceful utopia like he promised 2 years ago.

b3rtstare
05-16-2010, 09:24 PM
A brutal, murderous, warmongering dictator is gone. The country is steadily moving under the control of its own citizens.

[mg]http://ryanhassebrook.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/iraq_vote_540-7755341.jpg[/img]

But at what cost? The American people were lied to about WMD's that didn't exist and because of this Thousands of American soliders and Hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS of Civilians are now dead.

caseys5
05-16-2010, 10:58 PM
But at what cost? The American people were lied to about WMD's that didn't exist and because of this Thousands of American soliders and Hundreds of thousands, if not MILLIONS of Civilians are now dead.

cmon breh...

Spetsnazos
05-16-2010, 11:39 PM

wut wut brah? in b4 ****storm!!!

Fist-Of-Freedom
05-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Well we are actually withdrawing thanks to Obama

http://i41.tinypic.com/dbqdc6.gif

nutsy54
05-17-2010, 06:45 PM
No one eat the troll bait.Biting my tongue. Now I'm swallowing blood.

It is truly amazing that he actually thinks his statement contains any truth :rolleyes:

Will not respond further. Honest.

djproof
05-17-2010, 06:56 PM
in all honestly,

the kurdistan region wants to separate from the rest of the arab country. kurds control some of the oil fields and lending it to international gas companies without the authorization of baghdad.

like the former yugoslav republic, i see a classic case of balkanization