PDA

View Full Version : If God doesn't exist...

Kitty_Pryde
05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
..how does the sun know to orbit the Earth at the right speed and distance so we can have night and day and not melt? I mean it's a bit of a coincidence how night is conveniently long enough for us to sleep (unlike Venus where one day is like a year long) and just about the right temperature?

Explain that.

Tiffany Wantsmore
05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
We evolved to suit the conditions of the planet. What about animals living at the bottom of the sea? They don't know if its day or night. Animals evolve and adapt to their surroundings, which in the case of humans, included sleeping at night.

xardolam92
05-15-2010, 04:47 PM
..how does the sun know to orbit the Earth at the right speed and distance so we can have night and day and not melt? I mean it's a bit of a coincidence how night is conveniently long enough for us to sleep (unlike Venus where one day is like a year long) and just about the right temperature?

Explain that.

12 hours am, 12 hours pm. Are you saying 12 hours is the right amount of time to sleep?

The sun doesn't know anything. It is not a coincidence that Earth does this, and Earth does that.

The reason why we are alive today on Earth is because Earth happened to be one of those places that allowed life to arise. If Earth wasn't, we would not be here today. Pretty sure this is the same for other life forms in the rest of the universe.

primetime32
05-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Explain that.

how does god know how to be god?

And LOL at attributing Human traits to the sun. The Sun doesn't know how to do anything in the same way any other star doesn't know how to do whatever it does.

God may exist, but this is one of the weakest attempts at proving god I have seen.

LordDarwin
05-15-2010, 04:54 PM
If it didn't, we wouldn't be here to discuss it.

/thread

KiloNewton
05-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Explain that.
The sun does not orbit the earth, the earth orbits the sun. The earth is held in orbit by gravity. Night is not just the right length of time for us to sleep; we sleep the length of time that night is.

Explained.

Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'

- Douglas Adams

Penile_Dementia
05-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Explain that.

How is almost all of the observable universe so perfectly balanced to be totally inhospitable to mankind?

Explain that. You might notice that all of existence is conveniently perfectly balanced with the rest of existence so only possible stuff happens. Explain that, huh???? Can't be coincidence

*edit: Lol at the sun orbiting the arth

Mr Beer
05-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Kitty_Pryde
05-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Hey I'm just mirin' God's creation brah.

basement iron
05-15-2010, 05:02 PM
..how does the sun know to orbit the Earth at the right speed and distance
Explain that.

Were you the science consultant for the Insane Clown Posse Miracles music video?

Bahai.Lifter
05-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Explain that.

It's an AcCiDeNt!! Teh big bangz made it happen!!!!!! It's all an accident, everything you C!!!!

:D

Just kidding, Kitty you're an insightful person; in fact, these are the points made by one of the most intelligent & influential men ever, Newton. But there is an expression in Persian which isn't irrelevant here: the wall of denial is high. So someone who wants to keep on rejecting God will do so no matter what is presented to him. True belief in God requires a change in the heart, because as long as the enemy occupies the heart (i.e., strong ephemeral & material attachments), then there is no room for the love of God. & detachment is indeed difficult, which is why true belief in God is currently not very high.

gekkoboy14
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Explain that.

Sun.... orbiting the earth.... you sir are in no position to argue anything that involves science.

KiloNewton
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
It's an AcCiDeNt!! Teh big bangz made it happen!!!!!! It's all an accident, everything you C!!!!

:D

Just kidding, Kitty you're an insightful person; in fact, these are the points made by one of the most intelligent & influential men ever, Newton. But there is an expression in Persian which isn't irrelevant here: the wall of denial is high. So someone who wants to keep on rejecting God will do so no matter what is presented to him. True belief in God requires a change in the heart, because as long as the enemy occupies the heart (i.e., strong ephemeral & material attachments), then there is no room for the love of God. & detachment is indeed difficult, which is why true belief in God is currently not very high.
The wall of denial is high.

Bahai.Lifter
05-15-2010, 05:11 PM
The wall of denial is high.

It is indeed, as Sir Isaac Newton agrees, a man easily more intelligent than the entire R/P combined... :D

KiloNewton
05-15-2010, 05:15 PM
It is indeed, as Sir Isaac Newton agrees, a man easily more intelligent than the entire R/P combined... :D
Appeal to authority.

Newton may have asked the question and good for him. The question has been answered since. If Newton actually agreed with you (I am not motivated enough on this topic to research what Newton said in what context) he can be forgiven. You meanwhile have been presented with the answer, it is found in understanding the anthropic principle.

The wall...

Bahai.Lifter
05-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Newton said:

Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done.[8]

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being. [...] This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of his dominion he is wont to be called "Lord God" παντοκρατωρ [pantokratōr], or "Universal Ruler". [...] The Supreme God is a Being eternal, infinite, [and] absolutely perfect.[4]

Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors.

Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance.

RyzinEnagy
05-15-2010, 05:21 PM
The probability of the conditions that exist on Earth that support life are infinitessimal...that's why we have observed billions upon billions of other celestial bodies and have yet to find life beyond our planet.

RyzinEnagy
05-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Newton said:

The only thing that Newton has jurisdiction over in the quotes you posted is the fact that gravity exists. Just because he is Isaac Newton doesn't mean he's right about everything he talks about. Warren Buffett doesn't know more about your favorite sports team, does he?

KiloNewton
05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Newton said:
Thank you for demonstrating that Newton did not understand the anthropic principle.

pantera02018
05-15-2010, 05:26 PM
If it didn't, we wouldn't be here to discuss it.

/thread

that or our biology/biochemistry would be different to reflect the different conditions we evolved in.

endofdays89
05-15-2010, 05:34 PM
This is a great quote:

"If the universe didn't allow life, we wouldn't be here"

So stop questioning the complexity, it is how it is.

jackal337
05-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Explain that.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-lol-squid.jpg

lucious
05-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Explain that.

not really. Not really at all.

Gravity and orbits are just a consequence of deformed space/time.

And were on Earth because Earth is the only planet in the solar system where life could evolve. It isnt like some poor aliens somewhere are stuck on a planet that cant support life.

lucious
05-15-2010, 06:09 PM
This is a great quote:

"If the universe didn't allow life, we wouldn't be here"

So stop questioning the complexity, it is how it is.

I dont see the force behind this argument. I dont see how it makes the universe any less miraculous or special.

Its like winning the lottery and saying 'oh well if i hadve picked different numbers i wouldnt have won' and thinking the win was just statistics.

Penile_Dementia
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
I dont see the force behind this argument. I dont see how it makes the universe any less miraculous or special.

Its like winning the lottery and saying 'oh well if i hadve picked different numbers i wouldnt have won' and thinking the win was just statistics.

Well, it would be an incredible bit of luck, but it was inevitably going to happy to someone, so yes, it would be just a result of statistical probability... I'd still fully appreciate it.

BadMonkeyFunker
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
people are tyring to justify the existance of a higher being... what's new ?
They've been askin these questions since the first day...

Which one came first egg or the chicken ? chicken's ******* (cloaca) is perfectly conditioned to drop them huge eggs. So is my girlfriend ,perfecty conditioned to take in my huge ....

oh look a banana! perfectly fits in my hand !~ there sure must be a god...

xardolam92
05-15-2010, 06:16 PM

then you aren't logical.

What he is getting at is, we are here because Earth has the right conditions to support life. We have evolved on this planet and because you are here, or because OP is here, he is asking questions.

If Earth wasn't the way it was, we wouldn't be here /thread.

neonhypoxia
05-15-2010, 06:36 PM

Explain that.

I can't tell if this is serious, or if you're just trying to troll us by pretending to be a christian who's also a tard. Would you please aware me as to what your intentions are so I will know if I should rurz at this, or if I should facepalm and be saddened for the future of humanity.

lucious
05-15-2010, 06:39 PM
then you aren't logical.

What he is getting at is, we are here because Earth has the right conditions to support life. We have evolved on this planet and because you are here, or because OP is here, he is asking questions.

If Earth wasn't the way it was, we wouldn't be here /thread.

I still dont see the force behind the anthropic principle.

It is a remarkable discovery that so many physical constants are at such precise values to make life possible. I just dont see how 'were here just because were here' makes the existence of sentience just some fluke.

Theres also the entire 'self awareness' ballpark.

pearljamfan
05-15-2010, 07:14 PM
The probability of the conditions that exist on Earth that support life are infinitessimal...that's why we have observed billions upon billions of other celestial bodies and have yet to find life beyond our planet.

observed, we have only landed on one other planet yet lol

in 2006 scientists calculated that they were 19,000 solar systems capable of supporting life having stars older than 3 billion years and around our suns size, makeup and density

pearljamfan
05-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Explain that.

ah night is not the same length in different parts of the world

you do realise that night becomes longer the further north you travel in winter and shorter in summer meaning in parts of alaska, canada, norway, finland etc its night all the time in winter and the sun never sets in summer

so god didn't want those people to sleep in summer and stay asleep all the time in winter :D

Infusco
05-15-2010, 07:45 PM
brb 6 month long periods of darkness in Antarctica. Good planning God.

Infinit350
05-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Newton said:

Did newton know that there are an upwards of 7E22 stars in our observable universe alone?

TheCurator
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Newton said:

Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion. God governs all things and knows all that is or can be done.[8]

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent Being. [...] This Being governs all things, not as the soul of the world, but as Lord over all; and on account of his dominion he is wont to be called "Lord God" παντοκρατωρ [pantokratōr], or "Universal Ruler". [...] The Supreme God is a Being eternal, infinite, [and] absolutely perfect.[4]

Opposition to godliness is atheism in profession and idolatry in practice. Atheism is so senseless and odious to mankind that it never had many professors.
Quote:
Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance.

If we're appealing to authority, you do realise that with time (and the contributions of a certain physicist), we've realised that most of newton's equations aren't accurate? Let's not even mention the fact that he believed in all sorts of rubbish, like alchemy.

Irezumi
05-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Being in the goldilocks zone of our star is not proof that "god" exists. Good try though.

neonhypoxia
05-15-2010, 08:22 PM
If we're appealing to authority, you do realise that with time (and the contributions of a certain physicist), we've realised that most of newton's equations aren't accurate? Let's not even mention the fact that he believed in all sorts of rubbish, like alchemy.

Actually none of them are accurate, although there were pretty d*mn good for the time. Fluxions did suck hard core though. I mean it works, but its like he was trying to make it harder. Plus it completely skims over the importance of the limit operator. Anyways, Newton was just plain good old ape sh*t insane. I do mean that as in the actual psych disorder kind of way. He was also a major occultist so if you are going to try and use his opinions on religion as an appeal to authority... Yeah, good luck with that.

Weightaholic
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
You're all posting in a troll thread....

lucious
05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Actually none of them are accurate, although there were pretty d*mn good for the time. Fluxions did suck hard core though. I mean it works, but its like he was trying to make it harder. Plus it completely skims over the importance of the limit operator. Anyways, Newton was just plain good old ape sh*t insane. I do mean that as in the actual psych disorder kind of way. He was also a major occultist so if you are going to try and use his opinions on religion as an appeal to authority... Yeah, good luck with that.

He also died without getting laid.....

neonhypoxia
05-15-2010, 08:34 PM
He also died without getting laid.....

FU! I just looked that up because of your post. Didn't even have a girlfriend his entire life? WTF man? Five dollars says he was a closet case that didn't come out because it was Bible thumpin time in Britian back then.

dakensta
05-15-2010, 08:35 PM
If god doesn't exist, how come food tastes so good?
It could taste really horrible, and I'd have to eat stuff I didn't like, in order to survive.
It's like god designed edible things to suit what I like to eat.
Can you think of a single inedible thing that I think tastes good?
No.
Proof god exists.

TheCurator
05-15-2010, 08:39 PM

While we're on the topic of crazy newton was, the stupid sh*t he used to do was amazing... stuck a huge sowing needle into his eyesocket and moved it around, pushed it "betwixt my eye and the bone as near to the backside of my eye as I could" because he wanted to see what would happen. Another time he stared at the sun for as long as he could, to see what effect it would have on his vision.

Yeah... gonna have to pass on taking advice from Newton.

neonhypoxia
05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
It could taste really horrible, and I'd have to eat stuff I didn't like, in order to survive.
No.
Proof god exists.

*facepalm*

Yeah, you're right. Food tasting horrible and you not wanting to eat it would be great for survival via natural selection. I wonder why every species didn't evolve that trait. You know what else would have worked well? If sex was horrible but being punched in the balls felt great. I bet that would help a species survive.

xardolam92
05-15-2010, 08:56 PM
I still dont see the force behind the anthropic principle.

It is a remarkable discovery that so many physical constants are at such precise values to make life possible. I just dont see how 'were here just because were here' makes the existence of sentience just some fluke.

Theres also the entire 'self awareness' ballpark.

I never said we are here, just because we are here. I also never said that everything is here for no reason, or that there is nothing beyond this universe that controls, or even makes the physical constants of this universe and maybe others.

I just said that, we are here because Earth just happens to be the planet that is the right distance from the sun, it happens to be the planet that has an atmosphere...etc.

If it was mars who had the right conditions in this solar system, it would have been mars which gave rise to life.

If it was both mars and earth who had the right conditions for life, both planets would have given rise to life.

It isn't like everything was arranged the way it was as suggested in creationism. Meaning, after the big bang, things just fell into place and those places which had the right conditions, gave rise to life.

^ That isn't a claim, that is just an example of what I am suggesting.

dakensta
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM
*facepalm*
*double facepalm* at your *facepalm*.

xardolam92
05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

ahahahhahahahhaha

neonhypoxia
05-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Sweet. How about you explain to me then why it is that food tasting good wouldn't be selected for by evolution?

Infusco
05-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Sweet. How about you explain to me then why it is that food tasting good wouldn't be selected for by evolution?

Judging by his sig, I think he was being sarcastic when he first said it.

GeorgeCarlinJr
05-15-2010, 10:34 PM

lolwut We haven't observed billions upon billions of planets, we haven't any found anywhere near 10,000 planets. As far as I know we don't have the technology to tell us much about the exo-planets and definitely don't have the capability to know if they can support life. A planet doesn't necessarily need to be like ours to host life, I think the fact that we find life on our planet in some of the harshest environments shows that. Though I guess being able to live in a harsh environment and life arising from a harsh environment are kind of different /randombakedthoughts

TheCurator
05-15-2010, 11:04 PM
lolwut We haven't observed billions upon billions of planets, we haven't any found anywhere near 10,000 planets. As far as I know we don't have the technology to tell us much about the exo-planets and definitely don't have the capability to know if they can support life.

Indeed, we weren't even able to observe planets outside of this solar system until relatively recently, and the vast majority consist of large gas giants in close orbit with their respective sun (upon which life is probably unlikely for obvious reasons).

lucious
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
lolwut We haven't observed billions upon billions of planets, we haven't any found anywhere near 10,000 planets. As far as I know we don't have the technology to tell us much about the exo-planets and definitely don't have the capability to know if they can support life.

Its more like 300 or so, and we can only detect them from the precession of their parent star.

We can only usually detect the larger gas giants too.

TheCurator
05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Its more like 300 or so, and we can only detect them from the precession of their parent star.

We can only usually detect the larger gas giants too.

howd you go with the gamsat cuzz?

jimbob007
05-16-2010, 12:32 AM
The same reason we breathe air.

Halfway
05-16-2010, 12:35 AM
FGbdomlBnJM

bobjenkins777
05-16-2010, 12:40 AM
if god exists hes certainly a phag!

but he doesnt

lucious
05-16-2010, 01:58 AM
howd you go with the gamsat cuzz?

like 90+ for science stuff

85 for english and writing

AKR
05-16-2010, 03:41 AM

Explain that.

If it's so perfect, why is my body naturally on a 26 hour cycle?

Explain that.

If it's so perfect, why is it that in parts of my state (Alaska), the sun doesn't go down for 2 months in the summer, and in the winter, it doesn't come back up for two months. Wow, that's f*cking perfect. Try sleeping here in the summer.

Explain that.

21. Really? And you ask these questions?

Explain that.

BTW, which god damn morons rated this thread more than one star?

lost_in
05-16-2010, 04:06 AM
just wondering.. why is it that life only happened on earth? since the first molecule 'adapted' to its surroundings and evolved here, why doesnt the same happen on say.. pluto or any other planet that has been around since earth??

Queequeg
05-16-2010, 04:30 AM

Explain that.

Your asumming an anthrocentric view of the universe. Is it more rational to say the orbital pattern of the earth is so that humans can exist or humans exists because the orbital patterns are so?

Also the Earth orbits the Sun

/thread

AKR
05-16-2010, 04:41 AM
just wondering.. why is it that life only happened on earth? since the first molecule 'adapted' to its surroundings and evolved here, why doesnt the same happen on say.. pluto or any other planet that has been around since earth??

Who says it hasn't happened on other planets? We're still exploring Mars, and that planet is relatively close compared to the billions of other planets spread across countless galaxies - planets/galaxies we know nothing about. I mean, it's a pretty big assumption to say it hasn't happened elsewhere. Even if not, it wouldn't prove anything about god. How would it?

Queequeg
05-16-2010, 04:43 AM
Who says it hasn't happened on other planets? We're still exploring Mars, and that planet is relatively close compared to the billions of other planets spread across countless galaxies - planets/galaxies we know nothing about. I mean, it's a pretty big assumption to say it hasn't happened elsewhere. Even if not, it wouldn't prove anything about god. How would it?

and there is some reasonable speculation at the possibility to subterranian life on mars. Also planetry seeding reduces the need for high odds of abiogenisis

Maestro
05-16-2010, 04:44 AM
No.
Proof god exists.

please please tell me you're being facetious.....

1. we all have different taste buds. One of my cousins hates the taste of poultry/fish/red meats. She's not a hippie she simply hates the texture and how it tastes, so much so that she'll skip out on foods that are "delicious" to the rest of us pizza/burgers/tacos etc

2. what about people that are hyper allergenic? What kind of a miserable life is that where you cant eats nuts or gluten and can't have milk because they are lactose intolerant.

we have taste buds as a defense mechanism of what we should and shouldn't put into our bodies. Acids are sour and basics are bitter. Its all about preference so we can survive. If we had no tastebuds we'd never know what is good or bad. we would eventually eat something that could be deadly (i'm referring to our early ancestors)

AKR
05-16-2010, 04:56 AM
No.
Proof god exists.

Just when I though this thread couldn't get any more god damn dumb. Poe's law has me scratching my head in this thread.

TheCurator
05-16-2010, 05:35 AM
like 90+ for science stuff

85 for english and writing

Sorry brah im gonna have to call fraud... more than 90 for science and 85 for the other two sections would give you a score of at 88+... 88 happens to be the top score this year

dakensta
05-16-2010, 06:09 AM
please please tell me you're being facetious.....
I was being facetious.
Obviously so, or so I thought.
shakehead.gif

GoJu
05-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Newton said:

newton made just as many papers on the occult as he did on physics

newton was an alchemist

newton drank mercury

RyzinEnagy
05-16-2010, 08:56 AM
No.
Proof god exists.
I don't know, but most of what I think is delicious is unhealthy for me.

GeorgeCarlinJr
05-16-2010, 08:58 AM
If god doesn't exist how come sex feels good? ha ha ha ha got you atheist trapped in a corner now.

(notsrs)

darth_penguin
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
This thread is clearly a failure, so here's some Biblical mythology from the 1960s.

_Z8AddFYCnA

lucious
05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Sorry brah im gonna have to call fraud... more than 90 for science and 85 for the other two sections would give you a score of at 88+... 88 happens to be the top score this year

eh my actual score was 69.......kinda dissapointed but prob still get an interview. I did some 'scaling' of my own for the purposes of telling my marks. Let me guess......you beat me?

apprently though 58 would get an interview

TheCurator
05-16-2010, 08:09 PM
eh my actual score was 69.......kinda dissapointed but prob still get an interview. I did some 'scaling' of my own for the purposes of telling my marks. Let me guess......you beat me?

apprently though 58 would get an interview

Lol, if you're being straight up this time, I actually got the same score man. Could have done better as well, but considering my lack of effort/prep work I was definitely happy. Not sure why you're disappointed though, 69 was 95th/96th percentile so it's not a bad score by any means, top 4 or 5 percent... so we're almost guaranteed an interview, which is all that matters really. Why did you lie though?

whitesox3223
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Astronomy 101 should clear this up for you.

lucious
05-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Lol, if you're being straight up this time, I actually got the same score man. Could have done better as well, but considering my lack of effort/prep work I was definitely happy. Not sure why you're disappointed though, 69 was 95th/96th percentile so it's not a bad score by any means, top 4 or 5 percent... so we're almost guaranteed an interview, which is all that matters really. Why did you lie though?

69 is 69........ kinda dissapointed in it. I was hoping for a perfect score(probably got a bit raped on the long essay questions), mightve been being a bit unrealistic anyway. 69 just felt so average and was dissapointed in telling others..... I'm used to getting Ds and HDs all throughtout uni(though i still havent graduated). I hope they dont take into account all those who got higher? Dunno how to even handle this interview or what they expect.....gjdm on gamsat at 20 too.....

Kitty_Pryde
05-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Lol getting regular strong negs for this thread.

Irezumi
05-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Wait until we get a probe to Europa.

BigBeard86
05-17-2010, 06:58 AM
if there is life on other planets i thin kit would debunk religion sicne religion was sent only to Earth and its inhabitants.

ion a side note, its funny when some religious people believe dinasaurs are a figment of the imagination. ahahahah. and then im supposed to take advice from these people? would you walk into a mental ward and take advice from the people instituted there?

Testifier
05-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Explain that.

You cannot be serious.