PDA

View Full Version : a few questions regarding nutrition. reps

goldmank
05-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I just came back from one of those stores that sells all organic foods,proteins and all the oils and vitamins.

First question, I've heard a lot of things about Glutamine(or however you spell it) but I'm not actually sure what it's used for or how it helps. Can anyone explain? I have a meal before my workout which usually involves carbs, protein and good fats.If that helps...

Second question, I saw cocoa powder which for 30g has 7g fiber. I eat A LOT of veggies during the day(2-3 servings each meal), I have oatmeal or kashi cereal for breakfast, whole grain bread or wraps (1-2 slices or 1 wrap). do I need the cocoa powder? how much fiber should I be getting? How many am I getting? and what are different foods that provide fiber.

stats: 5'9, 155lbs around 1800-2000cals

just bought fish oils. Should I be taking 2 capsules a day? I also put a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in my tea, and have eggs constantly. Is there such a thing as too much Omega 3? Or after a certain point it's useless?

djjohnnied
05-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I just came back from one of those stores that sells all organic foods,proteins and all the oils and vitamins.

First question, I've heard a lot of things about Glutamine(or however you spell it) but I'm not actually sure what it's used for or how it helps. Can anyone explain? I have a meal before my workout which usually involves carbs, protein and good fats.If that helps...

Second question, I saw cocoa powder which for 30g has 7g fiber. I eat A LOT of veggies during the day(2-3 servings each meal), I have oatmeal or kashi cereal for breakfast, whole grain bread or wraps (1-2 slices or 1 wrap). do I need the cocoa powder? how much fiber should I be getting? How many am I getting? and what are different foods that provide fiber.

just bought fish oils. Should I be taking 2 capsules a day? I also put a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in my tea, and have eggs constantly. Is there such a thing as too much Omega 3? Or after a certain point it's useless?

Glutamine helps your body recover from stress, so pretty much supplementing with glutamine will help your recovery, boost your immune system and help you maintain muscle mass for example in a time when you are cutting. I think it's a great supplement if you have the money to spend on it.

The Fiber just count one day how much Fiber you are getting in and compare it to the standard that you should be intaking, this will answer your question.

goldmank
05-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Glutamine helps your body recover from stress, so pretty much supplementing with glutamine will help your recovery, boost your immune system and help you maintain muscle mass for example in a time when you are cutting. I think it's a great supplement if you have the money to spend on it.

The Fiber just count one day how much Fiber you are getting in and compare it to the standard that you should be intaking, this will answer your question.

thanks. If I were to get glutamine does it matter if it's in powder or capsules? Is it necessary if I'm getting enough protein, drinking tea, eating very clean and getting enough sleep? Also does it matter when I drink it, with what I drink it with (if it's a powder of course) and are there any negatives to glutamine?

will rep on recharge now

djjohnnied
05-12-2010, 04:59 PM
thanks. If I were to get glutamine does it matter if it's in powder or capsules? Is it necessary if I'm getting enough protein, drinking tea, eating very clean and getting enough sleep? Also does it matter when I drink it, with what I drink it with (if it's a powder of course) and are there any negatives to glutamine?

powder is better because it is more concentrated, in powder you will get 5 g in one teaspoon and in capsule you get around 500 mg in one capsule (or something similar) so I would get powder, Nah, its not necessary is more of a "maintaining muscle during cut" supplement rather than a big muscle builder. I would take it during a cut, but not if I'm eating enough and all other factors are well. I have heard you should not take it wit caffeine or creatine, so take it with water or juice and at least an hour apart if you are taking creatine. Is most helpful when taken post workout or postcardio, pre cardio or preworkout, in the morning and before bed. There are no negative sides to glutamine at all, is a good overall amino acid for your body. You should take 15 to 20 g a day, and how I said most important is pre workout and before bed.

goldmank
05-12-2010, 05:03 PM
powder is better because it is more concentrated, in powder you will get 5 g in one teaspoon and in capsule you get around 500 mg in one capsule (or something similar) so I would get powder, Nah, its not necessary is more of a "maintaining muscle during cut" supplement rather than a big muscle builder. I would take it during a cut, but not if I'm eating enough and all other factors are well. I have heard you should not take it wit caffeine or creatine, so take it with water or juice and at least an hour apart if you are taking creatine. Is most helpful when taken post workout or postcardio, pre cardio or preworkout, in the morning and before bed. There are no negative sides to creatine at all, is a good overall amino acid for your body.

when you say creatine I hope you mean glutamine otherwise I am confused haha. but, thanks I am not exactly cutting right now. I am eating close to maintenance and lifting heavy so I can lose a bit of fat and still continue to gain muscle. so I guess glutamine would help.

now one last question. I cook all my food with coconut oil (1-2 tblespoons) and I have at least 3-4 tblespoons of pb a day and 1 tblespoon of flaxseed oil a day. I just bought fish oils. Is that too much?

djjohnnied
05-12-2010, 05:05 PM
when you say creatine I hope you mean glutamine otherwise I am confused haha. but, thanks I am not exactly cutting right now. I am eating close to maintenance and lifting heavy so I can lose a bit of fat and still continue to gain muscle. so I guess glutamine would help.

now one last question. I cook all my food with coconut oil (1-2 tblespoons) and I have at least 3-4 tblespoons of pb a day and 1 tblespoon of flaxseed oil a day. I just bought fish oils. Is that too much?

yeah sorry haha i was typing fast I meant glutamine. I'm not sure, I have never even researched about taking fish oils, but to me it seems like you are getting enough healthy fats.

rhizome
05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Don't bother supplementing with glutamine. Study after study done with HEALTHY people have shown it to NOT help with muscle loss, muscle growth and recovery. It has plenty of BROscience and placebo effects surrounding its use as parroted by the forum BROfessors.

goldmank
05-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Don't bother supplementing with glutamine. Study after study done with HEALTHY people have shown it to NOT help with muscle loss, muscle growth and recovery. It has plenty of BROscience and placebo effects surrounding its use as parroted by the forum BROfessors.

can anyone agree or disagree?

thanks for your opinion I am just curious as to what other people have to say

doctapeppa
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM

This ^^^

Powerhouse4239
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Why is it that i recover from muscle soreness much faster while supplementing on 10-15g of Glutamine as appose to none at all?

I've literally done a bi-weekly routine on and off Glutamine powder and have found myself a lot less sore while being on. I highly doubt it's a psychological thing since muscle soreness is actually a physical pain.

doctapeppa
05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Why is it that i recover from muscle soreness much faster while supplementing on 10-15g of Glutamine as appose to none at all?

I've literally done a bi-weekly routine on and off Glutamine powder and have found myself a lot less sore while being on. I highly doubt it's a psychological thing since muscle soreness is actually a physical pain.

This is what we call anecdotal evidence and is useless, sorry.

goldmank
05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
wow, no I don't know what to believe.

Powerhouse4239
05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
This is what we call anecdotal evidence and is useless, sorry.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm just expressing my personal experiment with the supplement.

goldmank
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm just expressing my personal experiment with the supplement.

interesting

wakingmalice
05-12-2010, 07:19 PM

glutamine is useless. literally useless. only benefit i can POSSIBLY see is immune health. but useless in terms of muscle building and recovery. absolutely. show me a study where it's not, and I'll change my mind. god so tired of this supp discussion

get around 30-40 g of fiber a day minimum. don't over think this. if your bowel movements are proper and regular, then you're fine.

fish oil, depends on the amounts in those particular pills. i'll usually take 1-2 per meal depending on the amount of oil and standardization.

Winger
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Most legitimate studies show that glutamine doesn't have the effect on muscle recovery that bodybuilders used to believe. I wouldn't bother supplementing with it, whey protein powder has plenty anyway.

wakingmalice
05-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Most legitimate studies show that glutamine doesn't have the effect on muscle recovery that bodybuilders used to believe. I wouldn't bother supplementing with it, whey protein powder has plenty anyway.

lol glutamine is an amino acid. any complete protein has glutamine.

Winger
05-12-2010, 07:23 PM

um, yeah, thats my point....

Studies show there is no further added benefit with supplementation...

bird_of_prey
05-12-2010, 07:24 PM

Well no **** but the op probably doesn't know that

goldmank
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
alright now regarding my fish oils. can I just take one in the morning and one in the night? Do I have to take it with a meal?

and for fiber I get oatmeal or cereal and then tons of veggies. not sure if that's enough

wakingmalice
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
um, yeah, thats my point....

Studies show there is no further added benefit with supplementation...

whey protein is a supplement.
you said whey had plenty of glutamine for needs...
so what you're saying is him supplementing with it via whey protein he gets enough for needs...

I think you're confusing him here. the daily need for glutamine is covered in any "bodybuilding" diet. Regardless of whey protein supplementation.

wakingmalice
05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
alright now regarding my fish oils. can I just take one in the morning and one in the night? Do I have to take it with a meal?

and for fiber I get oatmeal or cereal and then tons of veggies. not sure if that's enough

did you not read my post?

how much dha/epa is in your oils?

goldmank
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Well no **** but the op probably doesn't know that

I didn't
thank you

so what you're saying is him supplementing with it via whey protein he gets enough for needs...

I think you're confusing him here. the daily need for glutamine is covered in any "bodybuilding" diet. Regardless of whey protein supplementation.

Alright, so I'm good. that's what I wanted to know
thank you

Winger
05-12-2010, 07:34 PM

I think you are confusing him. When I said supplementation I was referring to glutamine only. I was saying there is no benefit in supplementing with additional glutamine.

I told him that whey has glutamine for information's sake, you are over analyzing my post.

wakingmalice
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I think you are confusing him. When I said supplementation I was referring to glutamine only. I was saying there is no benefit in supplementing with additional glutamine.

I told him that whey has glutamine for information's sake, you are over analyzing my post.

I guess I just don't see the point in informing him of that when we both agreed supplementing with it is useless, but I suppose i misunderstood you in that aspect. All good.

Winger
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM

If you are eating a diet with alot of veggies and oatmeal and that kashi stuff, I'm sure you are getting enough fiber.

As for the fish oil pills, I would take a couple with each meal rather than just one in the morning and at night. They tend to give people fish burps without food

goldmank
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
haha I get the point. No need for glutamine because I get enough glutamine from my diet in general.
thank you guys

goldmank
05-12-2010, 07:42 PM
did you not read my post?

how much dha/epa is in your oils?

don't know what dha/epa is, sorry.

wakingmalice
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
don't know what dha/epa is, sorry.

educate yourself. google. epa/dha are the reasons you're taking fish oil..

goldmank
05-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I see. Interesting stuff.