PDA

View Full Version : List some "brain foods" please. :) Get some reps.

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Long story short- I'm studying my butt off for a very important test.

When I get home from work/the gym, my mind is fried and I zone out.

I'd like to know some foods that I can incorporate in my diet to help with concentration/retention of information/focus/and mental stamina.

Also, if there's any supplements that you'd recommend, please tell me.

I "do" have pre workout stims that I could take for a boost during these very long study session, but I don't want to be too jittery either.

Please help if you can, and I'll rep you :) .

Mr-Paradox
05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Have a look at Choline/Piracetam. If you aren't bothered about dodgey sides get some adderall

fni
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Have a look at Choline/Piracetam. If you aren't bothered about dodgey sides get some adderall

Piracetam is not going to give an instant effect. It take's a fews/a week, if I remember correctly.

Nuts, fruits, veggies are obviously good snack foods. I'd say anything "light" that fits in your macros, just make sure it isn't going to make you FULL (perhaps loaded with carbs if you are sensitive). A nice light refreshing sandwich is nice. Also, nothing loaded with sugar (will make you crash).

Oh and coffee = :D

joffy192
05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
eggs and broccoli (srs) not together but they're supposed to be good

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Would my caffeine tabs be a good substitute for caffeinated drinks for alertness right now guys?

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Rep'd. also, what are some effects of adderall?

Piracetam is not going to give an instant effect. It take's a fews/a week, if I remember correctly.

Nuts, fruits, veggies are obviously good snack foods. I'd say anything "light" that fits in your macros, just make sure it isn't going to make you FULL (perhaps loaded with carbs if you are sensitive). A nice light refreshing sandwich is nice. Also, nothing loaded with sugar (will make you crash).

Oh and coffee = :D

Rep'd

eggs and broccoli (srs) not together but they're supposed to be good

Will rep on recharge.

totse
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Anything with carbs really.

Try some fish, your omega 3's will definitely help out.

B-vitaman complex too. I usually get it from my energy drinks. :P

Myewze
05-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Acetylcholine

Blueberries, spinach, onions, broccoli, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, salmon, eggs

Tea, rosemary, honey

prripper
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Long story short- I'm studying my butt off for a very important test.

When I get home from work/the gym, my mind is fried and I zone out.

I'd like to know some foods that I can incorporate in my diet to help with concentration/retention of information/focus/and mental stamina.

Also, if there's any supplements that you'd recommend, please tell me.

I "do" have pre workout stims that I could take for a boost during these very long study session, but I don't want to be too jittery either.

Please help if you can, and I'll rep you :) .

Blueberries are supposed to be a legit brain food.

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Anything with carbs really.

Try some fish, your omega 3's will definitely help out.

B-vitaman complex too. I usually get it from my energy drinks. :P

I take 3 grams a day now. Should I up this?

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Blueberries are supposed to be a legit brain food.

Heard this too. Wondering if the fresh form is necessary, or for instance cooking them with something (i.e. bran muffin) is as good or they lose nutritients.

Mr-Paradox
05-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Rep'd. also, what are some effects of adderall?

Rep'd

Will rep on recharge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

"Adderall has a high abuse potential. Because Adderall has a powerful effect of increasing blood pressure, it carries the same risk of sudden death, stroke, and heart attack, as does methylphenidate and other stimulants used to treat ADHD, as well as the same risk of seizures in patients with a history of seizures.[1][27] Studies of long-term use of Adderall and methylphenidate in children have shown a temporary decrease in growth rate that does not affect final adult height.[28] Stimulant medications also decrease appetite in some people, leading to weight loss, and this effect is more common with Adderall than methylphenidate[28] or atomoxetine. Changes in vision have been reported with both Adderall and methylphenidate"

Use at your own risk :)

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 10:52 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

"Adderall has a high abuse potential. Because Adderall has a powerful effect of increasing blood pressure, it carries the same risk of sudden death, stroke, and heart attack, as does methylphenidate and other stimulants used to treat ADHD, as well as the same risk of seizures in patients with a history of seizures.[1][27] Studies of long-term use of Adderall and methylphenidate in children have shown a temporary decrease in growth rate that does not affect final adult height.[28] Stimulant medications also decrease appetite in some people, leading to weight loss, and this effect is more common with Adderall than methylphenidate[28] or atomoxetine. Changes in vision have been reported with both Adderall and methylphenidate"

Use at your own risk :)

Damn...Not worth it IMO. But thanks for the info man.

prripper
05-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Heard this too. Wondering if the fresh form is necessary, or for instance cooking them with something (i.e. bran muffin) is as good or they lose nutritients.

Put them in Oatmeal, then you are stacking superfoods. Most blueberries in muffins are either frozen or aren't real blueberries anyway

mrvnplcs1008
05-12-2010, 11:04 AM
CoQ10 - antioxidant energy booster within cells of muscle and brain - available in varying degrees in meat, poultry and fish

Phosphatidyl Serine - increases cognition and memory performance - available in lecithin, higher doses are supplemented

DHA - protects brain function - fish

Acetyl-L-Carnitine - protects brain from neurotoxicity and oxygen deprivation - meat, poultry fish

totse
05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I take 3 grams a day now. Should I up this?

I take it 3x a day, 3g is fine.

You can, however, take 6g a day, but thats not really cost effective. IMO

EDIT: Acetyl-L-Carnitine is in my energy drink :P
you can buy a 24pack at costco for less than $1.25 /can

I'm learning how to speak Japanese, so i'm kinda in the same boat.

TJ_Wolfe
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
caffeine and carbs (the usually "healthy" stuff) are my choices for "study food". Omega-3's are important for brain structure, but have not shown much improvements in cognitive functioning....as far as the studies that I've seen.

bejetah
05-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Lots of nuts and green tea does the trick for me =)

maxedout916
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Caffeine and green tea extract are great.

If you need even more you could do an ECA stack (or just add some ephedrine)...not exactly brain food but will stimulate you like crazy.

As far as foods go: Blueberries, bananas, eggs,

I'll list some others if I think of them

Xantim
05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey man, I feel your pain. I'm a junior in high school and I just finished taking 6 ap exams over the course of a week, and I wondered the same exact question.

The solution? Taurine and caffeine. I took a few tablets (500 mg) of taurine before exams - along with coffee-, and man was I focused for 4 hours straight... :)

It's found in natural sources such as meat, breast milk, etc. It really helps you get a boost for workouts as well as studying, and helps with mental focus.

Here's an article on it: http://www.thesupplementguide.org/g/Emotional_Health_Cognition/taurine-11.html

Good luck!

Chaohinon
05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Yerba mate, although probably not a "brain food", will give you tons of energy while simultaneously calming your nerves. No jitters, no crashing.

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Hey man, I feel your pain. I'm a junior in high school and I just finished taking 6 ap exams over the course of a week, and I wondered the same exact question.

The solution? Taurine and caffeine. I took a few tablets (500 mg) of taurine before exams - along with coffee-, and man was I focused for 4 hours straight... :)

It's found in natural sources such as meat, breast milk, etc. It really helps you get a boost for workouts as well as studying, and helps with mental focus.

Here's an article on it: http://www.thesupplementguide.org/g/Emotional_Health_Cognition/taurine-11.html

Good luck!

Yeah, I have some stim tabs I've been taking randomly here and there to offset the cals in a soda.

Right now on my desk-STS-Vivadrein Energy tabs, Yerba Mate', Taurine, Guarana, Green Tea, and caffeine.

Some of those "chemicals" listed above, I have no idea of where to find guys :)

I think the eggs, blueberrys, bananas, nuts, etc are easy to increase in intake. Any sort of "serum" or liquid to get at health food store, etc, which will help immediately?

richie83
05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Lecithin supplement

bartenda
05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Take L-tyrosine. Trust me. And you're welcome. 1-1.5g + an iced americano from starbucks and youre acing all your tests.

TOMaHULK
05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Lecithin supplement

Take L-tyrosine. Trust me. And you're welcome. 1-1.5g + an iced americano from starbucks and youre acing all your tests.

I don't drink coffee, is this someting I can take without coffee?

Where do I get each of those from?

TOMaHULK
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T040400.asp#T040405

^^List of brain foods and foods to avoid.

Find it very useful.

LuckyFurby
05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
what works for me is a banana dring studying, also i take fish oil in the morning. ive been doing the fish oil for several months and i have found my memory to be much better htan it used to be

TOMaHULK
05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
what works for me is a banana dring studying, also i take fish oil in the morning. ive been doing the fish oil for several months and i have found my memory to be much better htan it used to be

I always do Fish Oil.

I'm going to try to add some Flax Seed supplementation to my regiment.