PDA

View Full Version : Best Late night snack

derringer84
05-11-2010, 09:58 PM
since I am up right now and kinda hungry what is ppl best/fav late nite snack to hold you over till the morning? I personally just ate some oatmeal.

breakdown25
05-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Fiber one bar

derringer84
05-11-2010, 10:01 PM
nice..I dont keep snack bars around cause I never found one that I like personally

determined4000
05-11-2010, 10:04 PM
nice..I dont keep snack bars around cause I never found one that I like personally

Cottage Cheese ice cream
Pancakes
cheese omelets
or toss some choc whey and PB in your oats

MOSteelers56
05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
I heard it's not good to have a carb filled meal at night. Any truth to this or broscience?

determined4000
05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I heard it's not good to have a carb filled meal at night. Any truth to this or broscience?

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/determined4000/others/broscience.jpg?t=1273641575

WhoDatNinja
05-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Peanut Butter. Just don't eat half of a jar at once.

patouk
05-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Cottage Cheese and salsa

jamie93
05-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Peanut Butter. Just don't eat half of a jar at once.

this is exactly what i often do. Apart from there being like 700 calories in half a jar, why do you say you shouldnt do this might i ask?

rtyre2
05-12-2010, 01:20 AM
What about like 5oz lean steak? Takes a long time to digest and will keep your body busy for a little bit in your sleep.. As long as your not already eating a bunch of beef in your week

jrsonico
05-12-2010, 02:57 AM
*sigh* late night snack again...

damirk
05-12-2010, 04:01 AM
http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/determined4000/others/broscience.jpg?t=1273641575

hhahahahahahahah love it d

aussieangie
05-12-2010, 05:12 AM

lol that is golden !!!

Carbs dont make you fat at night. Your body doesnt know the time and so it doesnt stop, even when we sleep we burn calories.
I train at night times and eat my post meal at around 9.30-10pm and that either consists of brown rice or oats. I have not put on any weight at all, in fact, I have lost.
Its calories in V's calories out. Eat too much food, then yes you will put on weight.

Have something high in protein, like ff cottage cheese, egg whites, chicken , turkey sandwich etc. just as long as it fits into your macros.

Emily92
05-12-2010, 06:18 AM
since I am up right now and kinda hungry what is ppl best/fav late nite snack to hold you over till the morning? I personally just ate some oatmeal.

I mix cottage cheese + a bit of whey with a hand blender. It goes really thick and creamy - almost makes you feel guilty for having it. I've been having it with ON cookies n cream and it tastes a bit like cake batter when it's all mixed together. I just got some dymatize choc fudge brownie today though. I have a feeling it's gonna be gooood!

Fury22
05-12-2010, 06:29 AM
lol that is golden !!!

Carbs dont make you fat at night. Your body doesnt know the time and so it doesnt stop, even when we sleep we burn calories.
I train at night times and eat my post meal at around 9.30-10pm and that either consists of brown rice or oats. I have not put on any weight at all, in fact, I have lost.
Its calories in V's calories out. Eat too much food, then yes you will put on weight.

Have something high in protein, like ff cottage cheese, egg whites, chicken , turkey sandwich etc. just as long as it fits into your macros.

Agree with everything except calories in versus calories out. Not 100% correct. It is a factor but it is not the only factor. Quality of food and nutritional value play a large role too. Not as simple as In vs. Out.

As far as carbs at night I agree, I don't think it's a huge deal. Granted I don't eat many, but I train in the evenings and every so often I will have potatoes with my post-workout meal and have never noticed a difference from times I ate carbs at night and times I didn't body composition wise or in quality of sleep (meal ~9:30-10pm).

I mix cottage cheese + a bit of whey with a hand blender. It goes really thick and creamy - almost makes you feel guilty for having it. I've been having it with ON cookies n cream and it tastes a bit like cake batter when it's all mixed together. I just got some dymatize choc fudge brownie today though. I have a feeling it's gonna be gooood!

This actually sounds really good...probably would be the only way I could tolerate cottage cheese.

NaLLa8705
05-12-2010, 06:47 AM
1/2 cup ff cottage cheese and 2 Tbl natty peanut butter - 290cals-16f-13c-21p

or

frozen protein yogurt (cup ff yogurt, 1 scoop protein) - 240cals-2f-21c-36p

usually... :)

I have in the past had hot dogs on bread with franks before sleep (200cals) or other random goodness.

nicoledominique
05-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Cottage cheese and ff yogurt for me. Not really satisfying, but slow releasing protein before bed can't hurt.

ilovebeingadad
05-12-2010, 07:15 AM
oatmeal and a glass of skim milk

TehMan
05-12-2010, 07:21 AM
1/2 cup ff cottage cheese and 2 Tbl natty peanut butter - 290cals-16f-13c-21p

i do the FF cottage cheese, chocolate protein and natty PB blended and frozen...it's like reese's peanut butter ice cream!

Ed_Hitchens
05-12-2010, 08:13 AM
One slice of stone-milled whole grain bread, toasted and topped with natural peanut butter. Washed down with a glass of cold refreshing skim milk.

DreamyBoy
05-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Whole milk, works good for me ...

slwarner80
05-12-2010, 08:33 AM
My late night snacking all depends on what I'm in the mood for. I have to keep alot of snacks around for my husband and kids, but I make sure that they are clean eating snack and fulfilling.

Some of the stuff that I have around for snacking:

-Yogurt ( I always make my own granola, so I'll throw some in with fruit)
-Fruit, fruit, and more fruit ( jazz apples up with some almond butter)
-Popcorn
-Wasa Crackers with laughing cow cheese
-Veggies
-Sunflower seeds or just nuts for that matter

Mr-Paradox
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM
CC+PB with a little bit of sweetener and fruit is my current addiction. Love it

xlb57
05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Sludge!

-XF UP 2.0 Vanilla
-PB
-Cinnamon
-scoop of greek yogurt

Mix it up w/a little water, freeze it, and down it. Love this stuff.

Emily92
05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I've just thought of something else I sometimes do...
Mix 1 scoop of protein powder with about 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum. I got a bag of it really cheap off the internet. It's a natural thickener. Mix it all with water (it'll look lumpy but it doesn't matter) and put it in microwave. You'll probably have to take it out after 10secs or so or it'll all spill over the bowl. The xanthan gum makes it really thick and smooth and gooey. I used to just microwave whey by itself and it'd all split and turn into a watery lump mush. You can also add a tiny bit to your shakes and it thickens them up - good if you use water. Sometimes I add a spoon of PB in the mixture too and when it's done it's all melted :P Don't even ask how I invented this one because I have no idea! lol

IrishPilot
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
this is exactly what i often do. Apart from there being like 700 calories in half a jar, why do you say you shouldnt do this might i ask?

Must be a small damn jar. My Smuckers natty PB has 1500cals in half a jar (total cals in a normal size jar is 2940 cals)

norcalmuscle
05-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Cottage cheese and a nice scoop of peanut butter, hella legit.

CometMebru
05-12-2010, 12:31 PM
lol that is golden !!!

Carbs dont make you fat at night, but they interact with the release of growth hormones.
Oh, and you're body can tell the time, to some extent anyway - through the body's natural circadian rhythm.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing though.

jakedasn4ke
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Carbs dont make you fat at night, but they interact with the release of growth hormones.
Oh, and you're body can tell the time, to some extent anyway - through the body's natural circadian rhythm.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing though.

thank you for putting this out there. I never see anyone say anything about growth hormones. I'm no endocrinologist but I know certain growth hormones peak at certain times.

CometMebru
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
thank you for putting this out there. I never see anyone say anything about growth hormones. I'm no endocrinologist but I know certain growth hormones peak at certain times.

No problem bro. I'm sure it is nothing significant. but in the long run everything helps.

Myewze
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Glass of milk, graham crackers and natural almond butter. Mmm.

Chocolate-Wheysted
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
glass of milk, graham crackers and natural almond butter. Mmm.

nom nom nom nom!!!!!

aussieangie
05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Agree with everything except calories in versus calories out. Not 100% correct. It is a factor but it is not the only factor. Quality of food and nutritional value play a large role too. Not as simple as In vs. Out.

As far as carbs at night I agree, I don't think it's a huge deal. Granted I don't eat many, but I train in the evenings and every so often I will have potatoes with my post-workout meal and have never noticed a difference from times I ate carbs at night and times I didn't body composition wise or in quality of sleep (meal ~9:30-10pm).

This actually sounds really good...probably would be the only way I could tolerate cottage cheese.

Point taken!!! I have my meal about the same time, and eat similar too.

jakedasn4ke
05-12-2010, 07:53 PM
No problem bro. I'm sure it is nothing significant. but in the long run everything helps.

ya for sure. I'm actually reading a book about hormonal balance and its actually very interesting. Figure I learn more real science and stay away from less broscience :)

derringer84
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
*sigh* late night snack again...

I only made it up cause I was up at 11pm and looking for something good to eat stop hating.