PDA

View Full Version : lose the gut or bulk up?? i need help

yeyo131
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
im 5'9 157 lbs. my gut is like 10 lbs. i know you guys will say to bulk up but i was thinking of losing the belly then start bulking coz i think it would be easier that way than to bulk up and gain more fats. yea i'll be thin tho if i do this. what do you guys think?

bk12321
05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
im 5'9 157 lbs. my gut is like 10 lbs. i know you guys will say to bulk up but i was thinking of losing the belly then start bulking coz i think it would be easier that way than to bulk up and gain more fats. yea i'll be thin tho if i do this. what do you guys think?

Do whatever you think you need to do in order to be happy and comfortable with yourself. If you think you are fat, then lose a little, but honestly you have to grab your gut to even tell you have one. I think you could stand to put on a few pounds of lean muscle before you cut.

If you do a clean enough bulk you wont have to gain anymore fat :D maybe you'll even lose a few pounds in the process.

davidkap
05-10-2010, 05:14 PM

definitely bulk man, you will be a lot happier once you choose to cut, if you have enough mass.

btw, everyone has some fat around their midsection, don't stress about it too much.

bigw909
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Sorry to ask a sort of different question…Can you explain what a clean bulk actually is to me. I hear it used alot around here, but no one ever mentions what it exactly is.

diiskrej
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Sorry to ask a sort of different question…Can you explain what a clean bulk actually is to me. I hear it used alot around here, but no one ever mentions what it exactly is.

Bulking from clean foods instead of junk food to maximize muscle gain while minimizing fat gain.

senor_mortgage
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Basically its only eating 200-300 calories over maintenance to minimize fat gain. Traditional bulking usually entails eating as much as possible/1000 over maintenance over to ensure maximum muscle gain, regardless of fat gain. Clean bulking is based on the premise that the average male can only build about 25.-.5 lbs of muscle a week, so that only requires about 1750 calories over maintenance a week. You may not get 100% of your theoretical muscle gain potential but you will minimize fat gain, which unless you are a hardcore lifter, is usually preferable.

bigw909
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Since im 15 ive had some trouble finding out how many calories i need a day online…any suggestions on how much i need?

senor_mortgage
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Since im 15 ive had some trouble finding out how many calories i need a day online…any suggestions on how much i need?

Odds are since your 150lbs and 15, you can eat just about everything you want and be ok. Just make sure to eat enough protein (150g a day or so) and weigh yourself once a week. Adjust calorie intake from there for desired weight gain. Considering you're age (didn't realize right away), these are prime muscle building times. Unless you were fat and lost weight, you are just a normal skinny teen and odds are it'll be pretty difficult to gain a lot of fat, especially if you watch the scale and don't gain weight too fast.

bigw909
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
yeah i lost alot of weight (was 190 last summer and 20+ bf%). but thanks for the advice. and sorry for taking over the thread.

bk12321
05-11-2010, 08:13 AM

It's probably already been answered, but a clean bulk is where you eat 'clean' foods (ie. eat foods that are lower in bad fats/sodium/additives/all the nasty stuff) in order to maximize muscle gain, metabolism, and energy levels, and to keep your fat gain minimal (sometimes negative, like if you are doing a combination bulk/cut or really intense lifting, meaning you are actually losing weight while bulking).

You probably won't gain as much lean muscle mass, but if you do it right and stick to your workout plan, you should see good results, and you won't have to shed a ton of weight after (compared to eating a lot of junk food)!