PDA

View Full Version : Explain American Football to me

Fielder
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I've just got all the sports channels in my Appartment and i'm looking forward to watching some American football, But being a ignorent brit i know nothing about the sport. I'm reading about it now on Wikipedia but its a lot to take in. So please, My American brothers, Explain one of your largest sporting Exports to a little old Brit Brother.

anonymous123
05-10-2010, 08:35 AM
It's awesome. That's all you ahve to know. You will see for yourself though.

TexasHeat
05-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Best sport in the world and its alot better than soccer.

Fielder
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
so how does it work?

athrun340
05-10-2010, 09:18 AM
play madden (srs)

basically in american football, you have 4 tries to advance the football more than 10 yrds. Those 4 tries can either be running plays or passing plays. If you fail to advance the football in 4 tries, the opponent gets the ball. However, in your 4th try, you have three options: go for it (pass or run), kick a field goal (if youre within 50 yards) or punt the ball (if you can't kick a field goal because you're too far or you don't want to go for it). If you punt the ball, the opponent will most likely start in their own field which means they have to travel 60-80 yards to score. In NFL, most teams always punt the ball in 4th down unless they can kick a field goal or they really really have to go for it (for ex, when a team is down by 10 pts or more with 5 mins left in the game)

touchdown is 7 pts (technically its 6 pts and 1 pt for extra point but extra point is almost always automatic) Field Goal is 3 pts.

NorthTexasBB
05-10-2010, 09:19 AM
4 plays (without a penalty) to gain 10 yards

Plays reset once you get a first down (gain 10 yards without a penalty)

need to drive to the opponents endzone to score or get within field goal range

Touchdown=6 points
Extra point after touchdown = 1 point
Field goal (no touchdown) = 3 points

I would take the advise of another poster and play madden because its to much information for just one post to try and make you understand the game.

xzp
05-10-2010, 09:19 AM
It's a futuristic version of Rugby with pads where you can throw the ball.

lol.

Fielder
05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
thanks guys, good advice, ill pick up a 2nd hand copy of madden at the weekend if i can. Repped for good advice

DR225
05-10-2010, 09:26 AM
The quarterback is the leader. He attempts to throw the ball to his receivers (the guys who line up deep on either side of him), his tight end (usually lines up on the oline), or his running back (lines up behind him and runs the ball (I-Formation)). The job of the defense is to get to the qb by any means possible, whether sacking him (tackling him) or just pressuring him into making a poor throw (possible interception (defensive player catching the ball and gaining possession for their offense)). The running game is a means of making the defense honest, ie not cheating towards blitzing the qb.

Have patience with it brah, imagine if someone asked you to explain all the intricacies of soccer.

lol only play madden until you understand the rules. Madden has warped the minds of many a football fan where they now only care about big name FAs and 40 times.

dogyo
05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
You get 3 outs to try and make as many free throws as possible. There is 7 people on each team and 10 pins to knock down. You can throw over hand or under hand, but you have to call your shot before you hit it, like curveball side pocket.

Jerzey1
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
just be prepared for the best sport ever(srs)

Shangius
05-10-2010, 12:12 PM
x2 on playing Madden. Will help you understand the game a lot.

thegenerel
05-10-2010, 12:33 PM
the Browns suck ass

AFSFK
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
You get 3 outs to try and make as many free throws as possible. There is 7 people on each team and 10 pins to knock down. You can throw over hand or under hand, but you have to call your shot before you hit it, like curveball side pocket.

lmao. Repped

FlexGunmetal
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
You play to win the game!

jcbrowns
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
the Browns suck ass

Don't listen to this, he hatin'

Horns3
05-10-2010, 03:21 PM
http://4thusinfantry.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/football-plays.jpg

Fielder
05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
I youtubed it and read some things on wiki and sort of made sense of it, its basically very stop start with one team getting 4 attempts to get it as far down the field as possible then it all changes round? does that continue for the whole game just with people taking turns?

*edit*, to be truthful, i watched 3 videos and then got distracted watching cheerleaders in swim suits for an hour LOL!

VTheKing
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
the browns suck ass

:(

:(

EGGSnOATHSbrah
05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
the south lost the civil war

Horns3
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
the south lost the civil war
the south will rise again

Suit
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM

oh god I lol'd. if i could rep i would

I youtubed it and read some things on wiki and sort of made sense of it, its basically very stop start with one team getting 4 attempts to get it as far down the field as possible then it all changes round? does that continue for the whole game just with people taking turns?

*edit*, to be truthful, i watched 3 videos and then got distracted watching cheerleaders for an hour LOL!

My 2 favorite players of all time

K7zkGKbG7kc

0TflnHlQMt8

EGGSnOATHSbrah
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
the south will rise again

http://i44.tinypic.com/2hxyp1h.gif

Horns3
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM

*edit*, to be truthful, i watched 3 videos and then got distracted watching cheerleaders in swim suits for an hour LOL!
no, 4 try's to get ten yards, but the ultimate goal is to score

dogyo
05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2hxyp1h.gif

lol wtf??

EGGSnOATHSbrah
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
lol wtf??

it's hammer time

Horns3
05-10-2010, 05:26 PM
it's hammer time
this

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy297/cootermcgrawlol/d856731b.gif

dogyo
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
this

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy297/cootermcgrawlol/d856731b.gif

lollllllllllll

Sanders21
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM

Sort of. The side getting downfield, which is called the offense, is trying to get to the "endzone" which is the 10 yard box right before the yellow field goal post. If they get there, they score 6 points, and get a shot at an extra point by kicking through the field goal post, which is usually automatic. After they get that, they have 7 points. They also have the option of attempting to get 2 points to have 8 points instead of 7, by trying to get in to the endzone again from the two yard line. If they don't make it, they don't get any points and are stuck with 6. If they do, they are awarded the two points and have 8 points.

Now if the offense doesn't make it to the endzone in the 4 downs they have, they have the option to attempt a field goal, which is when they kick the ball into the field goal, and if they make it they get 3 points. If they miss, no points. The other option is to just punt the ball away to the other team, which they'll normally do if they are so far away from the endzone that their kicker will probably miss the field goal. The way it works, is teams have 3 downs to get 10 yards (Every 10 yards, you get 4 more downs to work with) and on the 4th down is when they decide to punt the ball or kick the field goal. Technically, they are free to use the 4th down to do that as well, but if they don't make it, the other team's offense takes over right where the other offense was, and so they are usually going to be pretty close to scoring.

The side trying to stop the offense from getting into the endzone is called the defense.

Each team has both an offense and a defense.