PDA

View Full Version : you guys that only use egg whites

Bramble
05-09-2010, 04:22 PM
what do you do with your eggs yolks? dont tell me you just throw them away

forsure
05-09-2010, 04:25 PM

I just buy egg whites, 1/2 cups = 3 Eggs. i buy a value pack of 8cups =42egg whites much more convient.

Ryan314
05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I hear ya OP. I cringe and rage everytime I see threads with people saying they only eat whites and throw the yolks away. Or something stupid like "I eat 5 egg whites and 3 yolks". Yolks have all the nutrients!!!

Rectify
05-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't think you can get tubs of Egg Whites here in the UK. I just eat whole anyway.

But err... people often complain about people being wasteful throwing the yolk away, but what does the company selling packaged Egg Whites do with it?

FemmeFatale28
05-09-2010, 05:36 PM
when I throw the yolks away its because I am just using the egg white as a binder in something I am baking and I would rather use fat from peanut butter or I just dont have the calories for the yolk. Whether you eat it or throw it away your still paying for it, Id rather throw it away than wreck my deficit. From time to time though I eat the whole damn egg :)

Bramble
05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't think you can get tubs of Egg Whites here in the UK. I just eat whole anyway.

But err... people often complain about people being wasteful throwing the yolk away, but what does the company selling packaged Egg Whites do with it?

the yolks get used in things such as custards and baked goods

Hungry1
05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I just throw the yolk away, so what? I paid for the eggs so I'll dispose of them any way I damn well please. Usually on weekends, I'll set up over a dozen eggs at the 100 yard line at the outdoor range and shoot them with my AR15. Clean up is rather messy.

Tom26.2
05-09-2010, 06:06 PM

exactly. several recipes just call for egg yolks. the whites can ruin some baked goods and make them too fluffy.

Anyone have good recommendations for buying egg whites? I've never bought them before but I wouldn't mind having some around for my oatmeal.

johnsdar
05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
i save the yokes and make a sponge cake for cheat days.

YoungEx20
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Like others have suggested, if you're hell bent on using whites without the yolks save those yolks to use for different purposes. You're wasting good money and good nutrients if you just dispose of them.

UCFBuilder
05-09-2010, 06:19 PM
i throw them away..unlike some of you that can use the yolks to create other delicious foods...i cant use them for anything else right now. I hate the taste of egg beaters or any other egg white in a box type of thing...i like the taste of real eggs and i cant afford all the fat in the yolks right now..so back off lol

kmac27
05-09-2010, 07:15 PM
When I buy egg whites I buy them for their protein, not for their fat value. I don't feel bad throwing them away. Too much fat is bad. If I throw away the yolk I can have cheese or nuts instead :-D

Rectify
05-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Ah ok cheers, was a little mind=blown moment for me since we don't tend to have cartons of whites over here sadly, so i never thought about it before. :D

Vietgoboi
05-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I just buy egg whites, 1/2 cups = 3 Eggs. i buy a value pack of 8cups =42egg whites much more convient.
I believe its 1/2 cup egg white substitute = 2 eggs

and

2 egg whites (no yolk) = 1/4 cup egg white substitute

watertoy
05-09-2010, 07:35 PM

I would throw them away if I was only having yolks.

How many byproducts are thrown away by the obese people who eat chocolate cake. That byproduct of wheat could be used to make vita brits.

Eggs are cheap you can throw them away.

The most important thing is to keep fridge space spare.

Each yolk is only worth ten cents. It's more about the icky sticky storage of them.

Finodman
05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I just buy egg white cartons

BookMonkey
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
12 Eggs Yolks
.75 C Boiling Water
1 T Grated Orange or Lemon Rind
1.25 C Sugar
1.75 C Whole Wheat Flour
2 t Baking Powder
.75 t Salt

Beat Yolks until thick and lemon colored
SLOWLY add Boiling Water and beat for a few min
Fold in Rind and Sugar, continue beating
Combine Dry Ingredients, add slowly to Yolk Mixture
Pour in tube pan with greased bottom only
Bake 45 min at 325
Cool upside down 1.5 hrs before removing from pan

Myewze
05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1773500/3_things_to_do_with_unused_egg_yolks.html?cat=51

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4565421_egg-yolks-work-acne.html

apesnani
05-10-2010, 06:57 PM

+1 for living in the UK
+ 2 for being a Lombardi Fan, go Packers

actually you can buy liquid egg whites in the UK online. just google it. Two places sell it, and they are quite cheap compare to regular eggs

aussieangie
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I just buy the egg whites and use them. I stock up on a few in the freezer cause they are very hard to find.

Fury22
05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
When I buy egg whites I buy them for their protein, not for their fat value. I don't feel bad throwing them away. Too much fat is bad. If I throw away the yolk I can have cheese or nuts instead :-D

too much fat may be bad, but most people's definition of too much fat is not too much fat. You don't eat the yoke so can eat cheese or nuts = Failed logic.

SDC77
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I hear ya OP. I cringe and rage everytime I see threads with people saying they only eat whites and throw the yolks away. Or something stupid like "I eat 5 egg whites and 3 yolks". Yolks have all the nutrients!!!

6 whole eggs = 36g protein and 420 calories
9 egg whites = 36g of protein and 180 calories

It isn't always about "fat phobia" or a concern of cholesterol, it is most often about calories. Not everyone wants to get a chunk of their fat intake (in the above case 27g of fat) from one source and not everyone wants to eat 27g of fat at a particular meal.

It isn't egg hate, it is basic math and preference for some people.

Simmo0508
05-10-2010, 08:45 PM

It isn't always about "fat phobia" or a concern of cholesterol, it is most often about calories. Not everyone wants to get a chunk of their fat intake (in the above case 27g of fat) from one source and not everyone wants to eat 27g of fat at a particular meal.

This.

Try eating 24-36 eggs a day, whole :P The reason us bodybuilders mainly eat whites is because we just want the protein, without the fat. So for example you eat 12 'extra large' eggs (mostly whites, let's say 2 whole with the yolk out of that carton), that's your 50-60g protein for your said meal, with around 10-15g fat. That's pretty good imo.

However if you ate all 12 whole with the yolk, sure you'd have crazier protein, but the fat would be up around 50g+. Most people don't like their fat grams that high for an individual meal, and opt to span things out throughout their other x meals instead, using other sources of fat as well.

People need to understand why others do things, and stop with whole telling people what to do bs. It's their money, they know what they're doin with it, they can make their own decisions in life. Bodybuilders in general buy eggs for the whites anyway. If anything, we're not paying for the yolks. They're just the side bonus.

As for the original question with the yolks if you don't want them, you just flush it down the sink mixed with a bit of water. Or store them away in containers so someone else in your household can use it for whatever they want it for.

Etherlife
05-10-2010, 08:49 PM

I hear you... Its matter of preference, everybody is way free to do whatever with their eggs... er... uh...

Seriously, yolks just don't enter in everybody's macros. Way too high cals.

I keep all the yolks and give them to the cook, she will do some nice cake which I use if I have guests or I just pack it and bring it to the office and give to the employees, as I said everybody is free to do whatever they want but please guys try not to waste food ) If u cannot cook it, give it away.

Eth.

Joelift
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Home-made pasta for your refeed day! http://abreiden.wordpress.com/2007/12/24/fresh-all-egg-yolk-pasta/

You CAN do it. I believe in you.

Zjunky
05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Do you have a dog? Most dogs love to have the yolks on their food.

RpplesonFrmiSea
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I save the yolks and give them to my vegan roomate. She encountered the problem some vegans have from having no cholesterol in her diet, so in order to maintain her moral stand on the industry she needed a way to have cholesterol without causing herself or anyone else to buy/buy more eggs on her account. Since I'm throwing them away otherwise, I just give them to her and we both win.

asto_86
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I buy eggbeaters if I need only whites.

calebsmitty
05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
If I don't use the yolk I cook it and feed it to my dogs. They love it.